Too many scholarships in the backfield?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
The basic deal on tailback depth is this: You need to have two guys who can play throughout a game (and three if you aren't as fortunate as we are, and don't have two guys who can both run, pass block, and catch it out of the backfield).

Given the inherent physical dangers inherent in playing tailback, however, as a general rule of thumb you can bank on between one and three tailbacks per season, per team, either sustaining a season-ending injury (torn ACL, broken leg, etc.) or being significantly limited for a large portion of the year with an injury of note (high ankle sprain, pulled hamstring, etc.).

Doing the math, that basically puts you needing about five, maybe six tailbacks on your roster. And that is pretty much where we are now, and where we have been for ages now. It's not stockpiling by any stretch -- nor would you even want to do that, because with a hard cap on scholarships you have to rob Peter to pay Paul -- it's just fundamental and accepted principles of roster construction.

And in our case, a lot of this is just overrated. Some rivals like to group Calloway and Sims into the tailback discussion, even though neither are. And in the same vein, Kamara was recruited as an athlete and could play a variety of roles, and really the same applies to Henry who could become more of a hybrid player like that Fowler rather than a true tailback.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I bet wisconsin or maryland wished they would have more qbs on their roster last season. Maryland was down to their last qb on the roster before the season even started.
Maryland eventually had to play a freshman linebacker at QB because he played QB in High School. That's pretty bad.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Look at the player's "age" going into the 2013 season.

QB:
AJ - Senior
Blake - RS Junior
Ely - RS Sophomore
Morris - RS Freshman
Bateman - Freshman
McLeod - Freshman
Del Rio - Freshman

RB:
TJ - Sophomore
Drake - Sophomore
Fowler - Senior
Hart - RS Sophomore
Henry - Freshman
Kamara - Freshman
Jones - Freshman
Tenpenny - Freshman

Behind AJ, Alabama has one experienced QB in Blake. Morris may make a run at #2 this year after being in the system for year. When looking at their eligibility, you see one guy for sure gone and two others possibly gone with degrees in hand. There will be a line in 2013, but that line shrinks going into 2014. Someone help here, Del Rio can't play for 2 years because he is an invited walk-on, correct?

In regards to the RB depth, Bama loses Fowler after this year. Hart may not play again because of his injuries. Barring an injury, TJ is at Bama for only 2 more seasons. Again, that line isn't as long as it first appears.
Good post, '91.

And here's hoping Fowler qualifies for a medical redshirt...

BamaQ

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Savannah, GA
I think Coach Saban is planning to implement the “Reverse Wishbone” with three linemen, a quarterback, and five running backs.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Every year coaches experiment with players in different positions in the spring. In case of a position getting thin, you have other players who can move over to that position to provide depth. Blake Sims playing QB and RB. Jalston Fowler playing RB and LB. Brent Calloway has learned multiple positions. In other words, just because a player is labelled as one position, doesn't mean they aren't capable of learning another position to provide depth.
If a couple of the RB's were just average, I might scratch my head a little. But all 4 RB's are top RBs. You don't turn those away.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
So Bama has 6 scholarships QBs, right? AJ, Sims, Ely, Morris, Bateman and McCloud.

Bama also has 7 scholarship RBS, right? Yeldon, Hart, Fowler, Drake, Henry, Jones, Tenpenny? (Am I missing someone?)

So that's 13 scholarships in the backfield. That seems like an awful lot. I just can't imagine we don't have some QBs transfer and an RB do the same. At least we'll have to move an RB or two somewhere else on the field.

Thoughts?
I think you should phone Coach and set him straight.:biggrin2:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When I look at the QB depth, it makes sense because McCarron is a RS Senior and Sims isn't the ideal long-term solution. Ely and/or Morris will likely transfer after the Spring+Fall 2014 QB competition. By next Summer we could be looking at Bateman, Sims, and McCloud being the complete depth chart at the position.

The tailback position makes sense because we play at least two guys generously and a third back typically gets a decent amount of touches too. Hart may very well be heading towards a medical hardship depending on his recovery. Fowler and Yeldon will likely be gone in two years also. A guy like Drake may leave if a new guy pushes him down the depth chart. I'm not saying these things will happen but they could and considering camp/in-season injury...you need decent depth at this position.

Remember we were down to basically Lacy and Yeldon as ideal options by the end of the past season. Also, Lacy provides a model more realistic for the balance of the depth chart. He waited three seasons to shine and took it to a likely first/second round pick. We'll keep guys fresh and eventually you'll get your shot. I think these new guys will willingly wait a season or two to shine.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When I look at the QB depth, it makes sense because McCarron is a RS Senior and Sims isn't the ideal long-term solution. Ely and/or Morris will likely transfer after the Spring+Fall 2014 QB competition. By next Summer we could be looking at Bateman, Sims, and McCloud being the complete depth chart at the position.

The tailback position makes sense because we play at least two guys generously and a third back typically gets a decent amount of touches too. Hart may very well be heading towards a medical hardship depending on his recovery. Fowler and Yeldon will likely be gone in two years also. A guy like Drake may leave if a new guy pushes him down the depth chart. I'm not saying these things will happen but they could and considering camp/in-season injury...you need decent depth at this position.

Remember we were down to basically Lacy and Yeldon as ideal options by the end of the past season. Also, Lacy provides a model more realistic for the balance of the depth chart. He waited three seasons to shine and took it to a likely first/second round pick. We'll keep guys fresh and eventually you'll get your shot. I think these new guys will willingly wait a season or two to shine.
A wild card is Drake. When he got touches, he was spectacular, but it's common knowledge that it was his blocking in PT. If the light comes on there, he has experience and knows the offense. He may be hard to dislodge...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I liked what I saw of him in garbage time. I think he can make a difference. I just wonder how he handles a situation where Henry or Jones simply outperforms him this off-season and he has to wait even longer to see playing time. He could be a Senior before he gets a shot in that scenario barring injuries.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Yeah, I liked what I saw of him in garbage time. I think he can make a difference. I just wonder how he handles a situation where Henry or Jones simply outperforms him this off-season and he has to wait even longer to see playing time. He could be a Senior before he gets a shot in that scenario barring injuries.
Drake could play receiver as well.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm guessing Frosh RB Jones redshirts.....

I'm guessing you see TJ, then Tenpenny/Drake as 2/3 --
I think you see Henry back up Fowler as FB/HB

Giving us 5 RBs playing each game.....

I think Kamara is the Wildcard --

We used to joke about Bama beating a Jax or Cleveland......I think we just narrowed the gap....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.