Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 82
  1. #53
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cullman, Al
    Posts
    3,831
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    So Bama has 6 scholarships QBs, right? AJ, Sims, Ely, Morris, Bateman and McCloud.

    Bama also has 7 scholarship RBS, right? Yeldon, Hart, Fowler, Drake, Henry, Jones, Tenpenny? (Am I missing someone?)

    So that's 13 scholarships in the backfield. That seems like an awful lot. I just can't imagine we don't have some QBs transfer and an RB do the same. At least we'll have to move an RB or two somewhere else on the field.

    Thoughts?
    I think you should phone Coach and set him straight.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #54
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    7,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    When I look at the QB depth, it makes sense because McCarron is a RS Senior and Sims isn't the ideal long-term solution. Ely and/or Morris will likely transfer after the Spring+Fall 2014 QB competition. By next Summer we could be looking at Bateman, Sims, and McCloud being the complete depth chart at the position.

    The tailback position makes sense because we play at least two guys generously and a third back typically gets a decent amount of touches too. Hart may very well be heading towards a medical hardship depending on his recovery. Fowler and Yeldon will likely be gone in two years also. A guy like Drake may leave if a new guy pushes him down the depth chart. I'm not saying these things will happen but they could and considering camp/in-season injury...you need decent depth at this position.


    Remember we were down to basically Lacy and Yeldon as ideal options by the end of the past season. Also, Lacy provides a model more realistic for the balance of the depth chart. He waited three seasons to shine and took it to a likely first/second round pick. We'll keep guys fresh and eventually you'll get your shot. I think these new guys will willingly wait a season or two to shine.

  4. #55
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    43,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    When I look at the QB depth, it makes sense because McCarron is a RS Senior and Sims isn't the ideal long-term solution. Ely and/or Morris will likely transfer after the Spring+Fall 2014 QB competition. By next Summer we could be looking at Bateman, Sims, and McCloud being the complete depth chart at the position.

    The tailback position makes sense because we play at least two guys generously and a third back typically gets a decent amount of touches too. Hart may very well be heading towards a medical hardship depending on his recovery. Fowler and Yeldon will likely be gone in two years also. A guy like Drake may leave if a new guy pushes him down the depth chart. I'm not saying these things will happen but they could and considering camp/in-season injury...you need decent depth at this position.


    Remember we were down to basically Lacy and Yeldon as ideal options by the end of the past season. Also, Lacy provides a model more realistic for the balance of the depth chart. He waited three seasons to shine and took it to a likely first/second round pick. We'll keep guys fresh and eventually you'll get your shot. I think these new guys will willingly wait a season or two to shine.
    A wild card is Drake. When he got touches, he was spectacular, but it's common knowledge that it was his blocking in PT. If the light comes on there, he has experience and knows the offense. He may be hard to dislodge...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  5. #56
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    7,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    Yeah, I liked what I saw of him in garbage time. I think he can make a difference. I just wonder how he handles a situation where Henry or Jones simply outperforms him this off-season and he has to wait even longer to see playing time. He could be a Senior before he gets a shot in that scenario barring injuries.

  6. #57
    BamaNation All-American Airborne Tider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Fort Benning
    Posts
    3,342
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hot on TideFans.com

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Yeah, I liked what I saw of him in garbage time. I think he can make a difference. I just wonder how he handles a situation where Henry or Jones simply outperforms him this off-season and he has to wait even longer to see playing time. He could be a Senior before he gets a shot in that scenario barring injuries.
    Drake could play receiver as well.
    U.S. Army Pathfinders
    "First In, Last Out"

  7. #58
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Breaux Bridge, La
    Posts
    8,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    I'm guessing Frosh RB Jones redshirts.....

    I'm guessing you see TJ, then Tenpenny/Drake as 2/3 --
    I think you see Henry back up Fowler as FB/HB

    Giving us 5 RBs playing each game.....

    I think Kamara is the Wildcard --

    We used to joke about Bama beating a Jax or Cleveland......I think we just narrowed the gap....
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

  8. #59
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Breaux Bridge, La
    Posts
    8,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Tider View Post
    Drake could play receiver as well.
    Yeah -- we are thin in the receiver corp
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

  9. #60
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    43,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Yeah -- we are thin in the receiver corp
    My first thought also. Whose slot would he take?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  10. #61
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    2,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    If Hart comes back productive it will be a minor miracle. He will most likely need a year free from injury to heal the mental scars. Fowler may be in the same boat. They might be on scholarship but who knows how effective they can be?

    Every quarterback behind AJ is an unknown commodity. They may catch fire, they may fizzle, might as well increase our chances by having a few around.

    Lastly, why would you leave? Backups get rings too. The learning experience from playing under Saban and coaches like him is invaluable to your growth as an adult.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

  11. #62
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    43,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    If Hart comes back productive it will be a minor miracle. He will most likely need a year free from injury to heal the mental scars. Fowler may be in the same boat. They might be on scholarship but who knows how effective they can be?

    Every quarterback behind AJ is an unknown commodity. They may catch fire, they may fizzle, might as well increase our chances by having a few around.

    Lastly, why would you leave? Backups get rings too. The learning experience from playing under Saban and coaches like him is invaluable to your growth as an adult.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Every kid has huge NFL dreams and the great majority of our kids were local heroes...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  12. #63
    BamaNation First Team JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    988
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    Why everyone assumed that Yeldon will be a starter? Spring Camp will tell us a little about the early enrollees... but we won't know for sure who'll be a true starter in the fall, until the first game. Let's not forget about Cooper, who had a bad spring and then all of suddenly, he blew up big time the last few games. My feeling is the running backs Dee and Fowler has an advantage to show coach that they can contribute and have a big spring. All of the running backs that we signed won't enroll until this summer, except for henry and howard who is h-back/TE . So, lets not count out Dee and Fowler out.. we might see something different. I"m little confused about the QB.. That's a lot of QB to have.. but I think Coach wants to make sure he has the right QB... and give other proper training before allowing them to transfer...
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

  13. #64
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    12,987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    So no one thinks we'll see transfers and/or change of positions?
    I won't be surprised to see at least one QB and at least one RB transfer.

  14. #65
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    8,592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

    IMO, it will be difficult for Hart and Fowler to return to their pre-injury days, but I hope I am wrong. I can see 1 or more of the newly signed RBs being redshirted. As Jess said in his analysis of the recruiting class, McLeod is a rather strange signee. He was not nearly as heavily recruited as some of the other QBs in Georgia and, based on the recruiting services was a 3 star recruit. Of course CNS knows more than we do so no question here. I do think we will see at least 1 QB transfer before the 2014 season.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!