Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

The real question is which 11 current players are leaving to make room under the 85 player cap? I'm sure there are several redshirt seniors who have graduated and aren't playing that will be asked to move along. Who else?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think Fowler has an easier road than Hart because it was Fowler's first but Hart's second major knee injury. Furthermore, his style was always more predicated on speed whereas Fowler is a pure one-cut, downhill runner.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Yeah, I liked what I saw of him in garbage time. I think he can make a difference. I just wonder how he handles a situation where Henry or Jones simply outperforms him this off-season and he has to wait even longer to see playing time. He could be a Senior before he gets a shot in that scenario barring injuries.
    Wasn't it Drake that tweeted something about all the incoming RB's and the competition and said something like "this is why you come to Alabama"?
    That's the paradox of success. The moment you stop to enjoy it, you are in trouble. You have to keep moving forward. It's not what you have done that's important. It's where you are going.
    Alabama Coach Nick Saban

BamaNation Second Team

I see this as just another way to screen out recruits. If they're not willing to do what's best for the team and wait, better for them to look elsewhere...

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    The real question is which 11 current players are leaving to make room under the 85 player cap? I'm sure there are several redshirt seniors who have graduated and aren't playing that will be asked to move along. Who else?
    I don't think it will be an issue. You know where to look after the last few seasons:

1. Fourth-year players who may graduate in the Spring semester and decide to not continue with football.

2. Inevitable attrition to medical issues.

3. Underclassmen who are stuck in a logjam looking for a path to playing time.

4. Disciplinary issues from players who find themselves being pushed out of the program.

The first two are pretty easy to guess about potential departures but the last two require knowing a player's mental outlook on his situation or insider information we'll never be privy to knowing.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Too many scholarships in the backfield?

Do we have too many crystal trophies the last 4 years? Nuff said.

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

To answer the question...No...If CNS wants 10 on scolly I'm good.

Fowler will be back big time.

Hart will return kick offs & punts & that's it!

Question is who else will give TJ a rest? Drake or one of the new stars?

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    Maybe its just me, but I dont see Henry being used as a halfback....JMO.

Ive never seen a recruit where people seemed bent on changing their position more than Henry.
    Can someone start a Henry to LB thread?

BamaNation All-SEC tidefanbeezer's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    Maybe its just me, but I dont see Henry being used as a halfback....JMO.

Ive never seen a recruit where people seemed bent on changing their position more than Henry.
    It's probably because of his unique blend of size and athleticism that makes people think he could play almost anywhere. Couple that with the depth we have at RB and it seems logical that he could change positions.

BamaNation All-American Airborne Tider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Hot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by REBELZED View Post
    Wasn't it Drake that tweeted something about all the incoming RB's and the competition and said something like "this is why you come to Alabama"?
    Yes. I really like Drake and I see him as a great player for us. I think he will be in the 3 deep at RB this season. Yeldon is likely gone after his junior year and we could have Henry and Drake as our 1, 2 punch with Tenpenny and Jones ready to step in. Their are plenty of snaps and plenty of time for these guys to play. We recruit 3 year players but sometimes when guys stick around they end up being possibly the best of the bunch (see: Eddie Lacy).
    U.S. Army Pathfinders
    "First In, Last Out"

Forget the RBs, what about all 19 safeties on the roster? The depth is amazing. I think RBs are seeing the value in having "low miles" during a college career so that they have a longer NFL career.

NO.

I have too many vivid memories of last season, when it seemed like every week they were tearing the red shirt off somebody because somebody else went down with a season-ending injury. To their credit, most of those true freshmen grew up before our very eyes and played well. The fact remains that "depth" can evaporate pretty quick.

CNS addressed this in yesterday's press conference: "I don't think we were 'loaded' at running back. We had one guy who ran for 1,000 yards, one guy who carried the ball a few times as a freshman, and two guys coming off injuries."

As far as QB's, the more good ones we have this spring, the merrier. Once next year's starter is selected, some of these will transfer elsewhere to get playing time.
    "I don't like to lose. I don't expect to lose." - Nick Saban

seems I remember a recent article about CNS and the evolution of the college running back where multiple backs are used throughout the game and season. MI and TR, TR and EL, EL and Yeldon/Fowler. + Injurie yare always a problem at the RB position, QB too. We have been fortunate at QB.
    Roll Tide