Too many scholarships in the backfield?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
If Hart comes back productive it will be a minor miracle. He will most likely need a year free from injury to heal the mental scars. Fowler may be in the same boat. They might be on scholarship but who knows how effective they can be?

Every quarterback behind AJ is an unknown commodity. They may catch fire, they may fizzle, might as well increase our chances by having a few around.

Lastly, why would you leave? Backups get rings too. The learning experience from playing under Saban and coaches like him is invaluable to your growth as an adult.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If Hart comes back productive it will be a minor miracle. He will most likely need a year free from injury to heal the mental scars. Fowler may be in the same boat. They might be on scholarship but who knows how effective they can be?

Every quarterback behind AJ is an unknown commodity. They may catch fire, they may fizzle, might as well increase our chances by having a few around.

Lastly, why would you leave? Backups get rings too. The learning experience from playing under Saban and coaches like him is invaluable to your growth as an adult.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Every kid has huge NFL dreams and the great majority of our kids were local heroes...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Why everyone assumed that Yeldon will be a starter? Spring Camp will tell us a little about the early enrollees... but we won't know for sure who'll be a true starter in the fall, until the first game. Let's not forget about Cooper, who had a bad spring and then all of suddenly, he blew up big time the last few games. My feeling is the running backs Dee and Fowler has an advantage to show coach that they can contribute and have a big spring. All of the running backs that we signed won't enroll until this summer, except for henry and howard who is h-back/TE . So, lets not count out Dee and Fowler out.. we might see something different. I"m little confused about the QB.. That's a lot of QB to have.. but I think Coach wants to make sure he has the right QB... and give other proper training before allowing them to transfer...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO, it will be difficult for Hart and Fowler to return to their pre-injury days, but I hope I am wrong. I can see 1 or more of the newly signed RBs being redshirted. As Jess said in his analysis of the recruiting class, McLeod is a rather strange signee. He was not nearly as heavily recruited as some of the other QBs in Georgia and, based on the recruiting services was a 3 star recruit. Of course CNS knows more than we do so no question here. I do think we will see at least 1 QB transfer before the 2014 season.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The real question is which 11 current players are leaving to make room under the 85 player cap? I'm sure there are several redshirt seniors who have graduated and aren't playing that will be asked to move along. Who else?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Fowler has an easier road than Hart because it was Fowler's first but Hart's second major knee injury. Furthermore, his style was always more predicated on speed whereas Fowler is a pure one-cut, downhill runner.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Yeah, I liked what I saw of him in garbage time. I think he can make a difference. I just wonder how he handles a situation where Henry or Jones simply outperforms him this off-season and he has to wait even longer to see playing time. He could be a Senior before he gets a shot in that scenario barring injuries.
Wasn't it Drake that tweeted something about all the incoming RB's and the competition and said something like "this is why you come to Alabama"?

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I see this as just another way to screen out recruits. If they're not willing to do what's best for the team and wait, better for them to look elsewhere...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The real question is which 11 current players are leaving to make room under the 85 player cap? I'm sure there are several redshirt seniors who have graduated and aren't playing that will be asked to move along. Who else?
I don't think it will be an issue. You know where to look after the last few seasons:

1. Fourth-year players who may graduate in the Spring semester and decide to not continue with football.

2. Inevitable attrition to medical issues.

3. Underclassmen who are stuck in a logjam looking for a path to playing time.

4. Disciplinary issues from players who find themselves being pushed out of the program.

The first two are pretty easy to guess about potential departures but the last two require knowing a player's mental outlook on his situation or insider information we'll never be privy to knowing.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
To answer the question...No...If CNS wants 10 on scolly I'm good.

Fowler will be back big time.

Hart will return kick offs & punts & that's it!

Question is who else will give TJ a rest? Drake or one of the new stars?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Maybe its just me, but I dont see Henry being used as a halfback....JMO.

Ive never seen a recruit where people seemed bent on changing their position more than Henry.
It's probably because of his unique blend of size and athleticism that makes people think he could play almost anywhere. Couple that with the depth we have at RB and it seems logical that he could change positions.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Wasn't it Drake that tweeted something about all the incoming RB's and the competition and said something like "this is why you come to Alabama"?
Yes. I really like Drake and I see him as a great player for us. I think he will be in the 3 deep at RB this season. Yeldon is likely gone after his junior year and we could have Henry and Drake as our 1, 2 punch with Tenpenny and Jones ready to step in. Their are plenty of snaps and plenty of time for these guys to play. We recruit 3 year players but sometimes when guys stick around they end up being possibly the best of the bunch (see: Eddie Lacy).

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Forget the RBs, what about all 19 safeties on the roster? The depth is amazing. I think RBs are seeing the value in having "low miles" during a college career so that they have a longer NFL career.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
NO.

I have too many vivid memories of last season, when it seemed like every week they were tearing the red shirt off somebody because somebody else went down with a season-ending injury. To their credit, most of those true freshmen grew up before our very eyes and played well. The fact remains that "depth" can evaporate pretty quick.

CNS addressed this in yesterday's press conference: "I don't think we were 'loaded' at running back. We had one guy who ran for 1,000 yards, one guy who carried the ball a few times as a freshman, and two guys coming off injuries."

As far as QB's, the more good ones we have this spring, the merrier. Once next year's starter is selected, some of these will transfer elsewhere to get playing time.

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004
seems I remember a recent article about CNS and the evolution of the college running back where multiple backs are used throughout the game and season. MI and TR, TR and EL, EL and Yeldon/Fowler. + Injurie yare always a problem at the RB position, QB too. We have been fortunate at QB.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.