Question: Sequestration - the fear of cuts in military spending

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I'm pretty sure weenie Boehner will attempt to compromise by either accepting some level of "new revenues" or adding back spending sometime after March 1. He is the Pied Piper for Republicans.
Probably. The fact that no one challenged Boehner said all I needed about the GOP. That and the fact the JB viciously dealt with any GOP member that didnt kowtow. He, to me, is worse than BHO.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Probably. The fact that no one challenged Boehner said all I needed about the GOP. That and the fact the JB viciously dealt with any GOP member that didnt kowtow. He, to me, is worse than BHO.
I have asked Bachus, Sessions, and Shelby to ignore the likes of Boehner and McCain. Little good that'll likely do.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The sequester was originally proposed as a 'poison pill' so bad that it would force both sides to act to avoid it. What does it say about DC that what they originally created as a horrendous poison pill is now being viewed by many as no big deal. How will they ever pass meaningful fiscal changes if what they originally viewed as horrendous is now looked at by many as a first step?

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
The sequester was originally proposed as a 'poison pill' so bad that it would force both sides to act to avoid it. What does it say about DC that what they originally created as a horrendous poison pill is now being viewed by many as no big deal. How will they ever pass meaningful fiscal changes if what they originally viewed as horrendous is now looked at by many as a first step?
We're agreeing an awful lot on this thread, Bamaro.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Most people aren't really as different as we think. Most.
I don't know, riz. I know we both drove old Chevy trucks, have ties to Sand Mountain, live in a state with strong SEC rival, went to the Dead's last concert in Tampa, graduated HS in the 80's, and have a history with Puerto Rican psychiatrists, but we are really very, very different. I don't wear glasses or have a goatee. Besides, you're a monkey and I'm a blue guitar.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
I don't know, riz. I know we both drove old Chevy trucks, have ties to Sand Mountain, live in a state with strong SEC rival, went to the Dead's last concert in Tampa, graduated HS in the 80's, and have a history with Puerto Rican psychiatrists, but we are really very, very different. I don't wear glasses or have a goatee. Besides, you're a monkey and I'm a blue guitar.
A lotta truth in that statement. ;)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
No one's willing to cut spending in Washington so the sequester is the only reasonable means before us to cut anything...at least for a day or two. The sequester is definitely only a start because a lot more spending still needs to be cut, but I fully expect that the spending cuts will be restored in short order and no new cuts will ever occur.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
So just an update, the Army and Marines today decided to cut their tuition assistance programs as a result of sequestration, which is awesome because that is about half the money I use to pay for school.

Due to the current fiscal challenges, the Secretary of the Army has approved the suspension of Tuition Assistance (TA) effective 1700 EST Friday, 8 Mar 13. The suspension applies to all components and will remain effect until the fiscal situation matures.
Effective 1700 EST 8 Mar 13, Soldiers will no longer be permitted to submit new requests for Tuition Assistance through the GoArmyEd portal. Soldiers currently enrolled and participating in courses approved for tuition assistance are not affected and will be allowed to complete current course(s) enrollment.
Soldiers can continue to access their GI Bill benefits, if applicable (either the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) or the Post 9/11 GI Bill), or use another funding sources (i.e. grants, scholarships, or Army National Guard Soldiers using state Tuition Assistance). Soldiers should be encouraged to contact their local education centers for additional information. Updated information will also be posted to www.goarmyed.com.
The Army understands the impacts of this decision and will re-assess as the fiscal situation matures.
Army Strong!
G-1

http://militaryadvantage.military.com/2013/03/army-joins-marines-move-to-suspend-tuition-assistance/

Personally I feel this is a move to force congress's hand on the Sequestration measures so they can say "look what we had to do to our poor soldiers, give us the money back". But we still get crapped on in the end so whats the difference.

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.
Well my wife got the pink slip today as a HR recruiter for a defense contractor ...as all hiring is on hold. Reckon my wife will qualify for a Obama phone for a job search?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I have asked Bachus, Sessions, and Shelby to ignore the likes of Boehner and McCain. Little good that'll likely do.
Spencer Bachus is a member of the House of Representatives, so he likely will have little contact with Boehner & McCain. Senator (Jeff) Sessions probably does and will continue to ignore them both. Although Senator (Richard) Shelby sides pretty much along the same lines, he sometimes goes off the reservation and "compromises" with RINO's and dems.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Well my wife got the pink slip today as a HR recruiter for a defense contractor ...as all hiring is on hold. Reckon my wife will qualify for a Obama phone for a job search?
Sorry to hear that. I hope things work out for you. That is actually a Bush phone btw.:smile:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
No one's willing to cut spending in Washington so the sequester is the only reasonable means before us to cut anything...at least for a day or two. The sequester is definitely only a start because a lot more spending still needs to be cut, but I fully expect that the spending cuts will be restored in short order and no new cuts will ever occur.
Ryan is about to introduce a bill that balances the budget within 10 years. I can assure you that cuts, revenue, and entitlement reform with all be in the budget. It will pass the House and then get killed by Reid.

Even these military cuts aren't cuts. They are a reduction in spending. They're budget was slashed by Obama before the sequester.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Ryan is about to introduce a bill that balances the budget within 10 years. I can assure you that cuts, revenue, and entitlement reform with all be in the budget. It will pass the House and then get killed by Reid.

Even these military cuts aren't cuts. They are a reduction in spending. They're budget was slashed by Obama before the sequester.
We've discussed this previously in threads regarding "budgeting". And I agree that they're probably not 'cuts' at all. Probably just decreases in the proposed increases on future budgets. IOW, if they have to do next year with the amount they get this year, they'll call them 'drastic cuts'. I wonder IF, not when, those folks up in DC will manage to pull their collective heads out of their hind-most orifices and do something constructive for a change. :rolleyes:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Thank goodness some people can think about military spending objectively.http://www.nationalreview.com/article/415568/other-army-green-kevin-d-williamson
There are people in this world who need killing and stuff that needs blowing to smithereens, and giving our soldiers the best weapons and equipment is the right thing to do. And there is wisdom in the argument that maintaining an overwhelmingly superior fighting force (provided there exists the political will to use it) is probably less expensive in the long run than failing to do so. The presence of such a fighting force is the reason the people who attack the United States in the 21st century are not nation-states but members of a death cult with nothing to lose. If you have something to lose, you don’t poke that bear.But that doesn’t mean that everything the military does needs doing, or that the money it spends on doing what actually does need doing is well spent. Republicans are looking to lift the military half of the sequester in the hopes of shunting a few hundred billion dollars more into the gazillion-dollar stream of appropriations that flows through the war-fighting apparatus. The Democrats’ alternative is lifting both sides of the sequester.Until somebody can explain why we’re mothballing ships while minting admirals, the sequester should stay — every last farthing of it.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Just once I would like to see someone propose a budget process that would balance the budget WITHIN THEIR TERM of office. I think we need an amendment that requires the federal government to never spend in a given year above the revenue received the previous year (or at least an average of a given number of previous years).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
mittman, I alike it.

Too frequently, Democrats run like vampires from a crucifix at charges that they are "soft on defense."
Republicans hide behind soldiers, saying "we need to support the troops." Then, when it comes time to appropriate, "supporting the troops" means lavish spending on unbelievably expensive fighters for the Air Force, hyperexpensive aircraft carriers for the Navy and costly helicopters and vehicles for the Army. The "troops" and their care and training do not seem to be that important.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
mittman, I alike it.

Too frequently, Democrats run like vampires from a crucifix at charges that they are "soft on defense."
Republicans hide behind soldiers, saying "we need to support the troops." Then, when it comes time to appropriate, "supporting the troops" means lavish spending on unbelievably expensive fighters for the Air Force, hyperexpensive aircraft carriers for the Navy and costly helicopters and vehicles for the Army. The "troops" and their care and training do not seem to be that important.
Where are the battalions of lobbyists for the troops? ;)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Where are the battalions of lobbyists for the troops? ;)
Yes, one of those things that drove me nuts was the Association of the US Army.
It is illegal for Federal employees to donate money to organizations that lobby for their interests, but AUSA lobbies for the interests of the Army and many, many Army unit commanders pressure their soldiers to "join" and pay the "membership dues." The turning of a blind eye to this ethical error disgusted me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.