Link: Tennessee QB signee Riley Ferguson says he felt spurned by Alabama

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL
To be honest, I would have been upset as well dropping $1,500 on a trip to camp only to be told there was no scholarship room as soon as I got back home. Don't waste my time and money!

On the other hand, I understand why Bama did what they did (e.g., a verbal from the other QBs isn't a commitment), and I certainly wouldn't have said what Ferguson said to the media. It's the nature of the game....

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Is that the only reason to attend a football camp? I thought athletes signed up for camps to get exposed to high level coaching and to be taught new techniques. I remember kids from my high school used to go to wrestling camps in Iowa and come back knowing all kinds of new moves.

Are football camps different?

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Is that the only reason to attend a football camp? I thought athletes signed up for camps to get exposed to top tier coaches and to be taught new techniques. I remember kids from my high school used to go to wrestling camps in Iowa and come back knowing all kinds of new moves.

Has this changed?
Apparently not, Tennessee called him the very next week. And there are multiple QBs throwing at these camps, and we can only offer so many based on what we see at the time against similar competition. Maybe that will occur to him as he stacks chairs and weaves baskets.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
The story is one sided, so take it with a grain of salt. Also, kid shouldn't be focused on what he didn't get, but what he has.

Roll Tide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wow! UT's QB just told the world that it sucks that he had to sign with them. He sounds like a guy whose hot girlfriend left him, and Tennessee is the rebound girl. Um, Riley, you're not supposed to come out and tell the rebound girl that it sucks to be with her, bud. -lol
This was my thought, too.

Also, it is entirely possible that TN only took a closer look because of Alabama's interest since Dooley and Saban are so close. Looks like he still has some maturing to do.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Is that the only reason to attend a football camp? I thought athletes signed up for camps to get exposed to high level coaching and to be taught new techniques. I remember kids from my high school used to go to wrestling camps in Iowa and come back knowing all kinds of new moves.

Are football camps different?
I wrestled for a year in 83-84 and we went to Slippery Rock for wrestiling camp, I met Dan Gable at that camp. I only wrestled one year to get my butt in shape! The funnny thing was, I quit wrestling after I got back from camp. At that time, I would go anywhere if it meant getting away from home during the summer. I'm glad I wrestled becuase it got me in shape for football, indoor and outdoor track.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
To be honest, I would have been upset as well dropping $1,500 on a trip to camp only to be told there was no scholarship room as soon as I got back home. Don't waste my time and money!

On the other hand, I understand why Bama did what they did (e.g., a verbal from the other QBs isn't a commitment), and I certainly wouldn't have said what Ferguson said to the media. It's the nature of the game....
Yeah I can understand being bummed about not getting the offer where you really wanted to go. But I definitely wouldn't talk to the media about it right now. Let your hard work and on the field play do the talking.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Like a lot of ya'll that played football at some level, I came to realize that I wasn't going to be good enough to play for the Tide. (or any other team). It sounds silly, but when you dream of playing for Alabama and that dream ends, it's a sad day.
As others have said, at least he has somewhere to go.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
So, Bama did offer, but it wasn't early enough. He knows that every one that goes to a camp isn't offered a scholarship. Wow, he is in for a rude awakening when he faces our defense. It will be hard to serve up revenge when you are lying on your back or running for your life.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
Not to question Saban, but he really does look better than McLeod. Not sure how that worked out if he was really rabid for an offer to commit to.

He brings up a good point regarding parents of top athletes - it can be real expensive to be good. Look at what little league kids families pay - a several grand a year in some cases.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.