Link: Tennessee QB signee Riley Ferguson says he felt spurned by Alabama

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
n
Not to question Saban, but he really does look better than McLeod. Not sure how that worked out if he was really rabid for an offer to commit to.

He brings up a good point regarding parents of top athletes - it can be real expensive to be good. Look at what little league kids families pay - a several grand a year in some cases.
This brings up a question that has been on my mind . How do kids with limited means find the money to attend these camps ?

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
n

This brings up a question that has been on my mind . How do kids with limited means find the money to attend these camps ?
I really don't want to make this a racial/socio-economic thing, but lets say - that's why there are a lot of QB camps and attendees and less Nose Tackle camps.

Parents who love their kids or see the financial opportunity dig deep. Investing $5k to see a 20 fold return in a scholarship is a good deal. Parents get 2nd jobs. Parents get 2nd mortgages, pawn stuff, get title loans, etc. Some, I am sure get money from street agents. In the Scout300 for instance you see a big uptick in "Guardians" paying for things compared with the next 2,000 prospects.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
He really should forget about Alabama and concentrate all his energy at being the best QB he can at UT. OK, he wants to really beat us now. What's new? We get everyones best shot.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
If Mr. Riley keeps talking like that he will feel more than just spurned by the Tide...

Last edited:

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
I'll bet he never sees the field against us. All the better for his health.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Good luck to the young lad. Wish him all the best. Emotion will only get him so far though, and not just against Alabama. Probably best to just prepare and try to be the best he can be without all the extra nonsense.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Not to question Saban, but he really does look better than McLeod. Not sure how that worked out if he was really rabid for an offer to commit to.

He brings up a good point regarding parents of top athletes - it can be real expensive to be good. Look at what little league kids families pay - a several grand a year in some cases.
It says he was invited to camp after McLeod and Bateman were already committed, so its not a case of CNS choosing McLeod over him. He says they didn't tell him that Bateman and McLeod were already committed, but c'mon, he doesn't know about Rivals, Scout, etc?

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
I wouldn't advise him to run his mouth about Alabama when he does get the chance to play, or he'll end up like the last few UT QBs on The Third Saturday in October.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
He's mad at Alabama because:
- we invited him to a camp
- we didn't tell him we had commitments from other QBs (is it any of his business?)
- after we saw him in the camp, we decided not to offer him

Is it just me, or is this kid just bitter that his first choice didn't take him?

BamaBoots

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Rocket City
To be honest, I would have been upset as well dropping $1,500 on a trip to camp only to be told there was no scholarship room as soon as I got back home. Don't waste my time and money!

On the other hand, I understand why Bama did what they did (e.g., a verbal from the other QBs isn't a commitment), and I certainly wouldn't have said what Ferguson said to the media. It's the nature of the game....
You go to the camps to learn to be a better player. I don't how many players attend our camps but I am sure it is an NCAA violation to sign them all. Attending camp is no guarantee of an offer.:BigA::smile::BigA:

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
You go to the camps to learn to be a better player. I don't how many players attend our camps but I am sure it is an NCAA violation to sign them all. Attending camp is no guarantee of an offer.:BigA::smile::BigA:
exactly, he was invited to camp, not forced to attend at gunpoint.

its a hurt feelings story, nothing more.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I'll let Allen, Liner, Robinson, and Williams respond to this guy as they are picking him up off the turf.
they're probably not going to be too concerned with it until he earns playing time at UT, and even then they'll treat him like every other player they face...he doesnt deserve that mush attention to me..

Of course, the result you stated will still occur.
;)

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
Wow! UT's QB just told the world that it sucks that he had to sign with them. He sounds like a guy whose hot girlfriend left him, and Tennessee is the rebound girl. Um, Riley, you're not supposed to come out and tell the rebound girl that it sucks to be with her, bud. -lol
As I was reading the story this is the way I took it also.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.