Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I had hoped for Rich Rodriguez. He was coming off a great run at WVU and he was on the front edge of the spread offense craze. I thought he would be a great contrast to the low scoring, boring offense Shula ran and would revitalize the program.

I am thankful every day that I didn't get my wish.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
efore Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

Seriously Saban was the one I wanted. Was ok but let down when it looked like Rich Rod. After that I was really still hoping against hope for Saban. Worked out for me.
Ditto that although I didn't like/want RR. I only wanted somehow for it to be Saban. I kept hoping there had to be something to it with the sense that Mal was waiting for something (and his determination), Saban's denials, and knowing that Saban would only go to a very few top tier programs like Bama. I didn't want any of the others, thinking they really weren't Alabama caliber. If it took waiting to get Saban then so be it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
It's funny that at the beginning of the '06 season I hadthis irrational hope that Saban and Shula would have bad seasons so that Saban would consider returning to college football at Bama. When I heard that Saban expressed interest in Bama at the UT game in Oct, I was ecstatic. Began pulling against Miami becoming infuriated when they surprisingly crushed Chicago (went to SB that year) and shut out NE. But thankfully, they had trouble beating anyone else. Though they had the num 4 D in the NFL, they hadJoey Harrington and Cleo Lemon at QB in a QB driven league - no chance.

When he landed in Tuscaloosa, I walked over to my AU coworker's office and told him that it was all over. We both smiled. I knew he was great but did not realize for another year that he was probably the greatest college coach of all time. I had followed his career from his DC days at Cleveland.

Dec 15, 2000
Shellman Georgia
Re: efore Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

I really thought for a while we would get The Visor. For me, he is the coach you love to hate. As for who I would have gone after if I were CMM...Parcels would have been at the top of the list.

Stallings was second, but I was scared that Bama would seem too desperate to do that (even though we probably were).

I was also pretty high on Chris Hatcher at the time, with the only problem being that Bama is no plave to break in a new head coach.

While on subject, I still wanted to keep Shula. I know that this is not the common thought, but I really think Shula should have been shown more respect. He came when no single coach in the nation wanted to coach Bama, and he did a decent job, all things considered. I am glad with the end results, but I can't help but feel that Shula was dealt a hand that was dead before the ante was put up!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I really liked Coach Shula, but I think he was in over his head and had NO experience in leading, organizing, recruiting, holding people accountable, no vision for the program, not Process Oriented, not willing to put in the time to achieve success, lacking intestinal fortitude, etc. I think Coach Shula is a Good man: family man and just a good human being. He is a very likable guy. Really, a handsome guy with a beautiful wife and family. I just don't think he had that FIRE in his belly to succeed at Alabama. I can still remember the deer in the headlights syndrome mentioned in many places and seeing that on TV during games.

When I was at the Mittittippi Tate game, in I think 2006, Alabama just did not look like the Alabama Crimson Tide that I had grown up loving. In that game, Alabama looked like Mittittippi Tate usually looks. I knew after that game it was time for him to go! I left that game very depressed that we were headed in the wrong direction. In fact I felt under him there was no direction for the program.

I'm just glad we got someone who knows what he is doing and is not conflicted about how to implement The Process. He'd been there and done that at Toledo, Michigan State, LSU, and he had a plan to implement to achieve success and that success has been far beyond my wildest dreams. The Man knows how to get things done efficiently, effectively, and productively. I do have unrealistic expectations that Alabama should win it all every year! However, I know that is impossible. You know, Winning never gets OLD. However, I know that one of these days I will CROAK probably while watching and pulling for the Alabama Crimson Tide.

In the future, Alabama Alumni and leaders at UA need to know that just anyone as a head coach at Alabama is not good enough. GOB's stay out of the way. Let Alabama hire the best in the business and let him do what is necessary: clean house if needed to implement his program. We need a Wade, a Thomas, a Bryant, a Stallings or a Saban type person. You can win and win BIG at Alabama if you know what you are doing. I think Coach Perkins tried but he did not possess the necessary skill set to win big time. We don't need a former player or a former assistant coach. We need the BEST in the business. It takes a special human being to assume the role of Head Football Coach at the University of Alabama.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Well to be honest after Rich Rod back out Jess wrote an article here on tide fans about not ruling out Nick Saban. I thought jess was crazy.

Last edited:

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I was hoping for Saban but to be honest I never we would get him.I admit that one day I even posted that I thought there was no way we would get him. I was thinking either Gary Patterson or Paul Johnson might take the job. I wasn't to thrilled with Rich Rod but I thought he would do ok. I supported Shula until the Miss State game that year and I was really hoping he would be replaced. I didn't he would ever beat tubs and that thought made me sick.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.