Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coa

I also wanted the visor and headset thrower.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coa

Quote Originally Posted by N AL Tider View Post
    Paul Johnson
    Yep, me too
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

BamaNation First Team gtowntide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I was for Paul Johnson too.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Petrino was on my list.

BamaNation All-American seebell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    Jim Grobe.
    Me too. I think Wake Forest had gone 10-2 the year before. Not so good since.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, it's Stoops!

BamaNation All-SEC tidefanbeezer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I had hoped for Rich Rodriguez. He was coming off a great run at WVU and he was on the front edge of the spread offense craze. I thought he would be a great contrast to the low scoring, boring offense Shula ran and would revitalize the program.

I am thankful every day that I didn't get my wish.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

Only person I wanted was the person we got. Who I think we were going to get was someone like Mike Dubose again, a Gene Chizik if you will...

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

efore Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPokeChop View Post
    Seriously Saban was the one I wanted. Was ok but let down when it looked like Rich Rod. After that I was really still hoping against hope for Saban. Worked out for me.
    Ditto that although I didn't like/want RR. I only wanted somehow for it to be Saban. I kept hoping there had to be something to it with the sense that Mal was waiting for something (and his determination), Saban's denials, and knowing that Saban would only go to a very few top tier programs like Bama. I didn't want any of the others, thinking they really weren't Alabama caliber. If it took waiting to get Saban then so be it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

It's funny that at the beginning of the '06 season I hadthis irrational hope that Saban and Shula would have bad seasons so that Saban would consider returning to college football at Bama. When I heard that Saban expressed interest in Bama at the UT game in Oct, I was ecstatic. Began pulling against Miami becoming infuriated when they surprisingly crushed Chicago (went to SB that year) and shut out NE. But thankfully, they had trouble beating anyone else. Though they had the num 4 D in the NFL, they hadJoey Harrington and Cleo Lemon at QB in a QB driven league - no chance.

When he landed in Tuscaloosa, I walked over to my AU coworker's office and told him that it was all over. We both smiled. I knew he was great but did not realize for another year that he was probably the greatest college coach of all time. I had followed his career from his DC days at Cleveland.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: efore Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

I really thought for a while we would get The Visor. For me, he is the coach you love to hate. As for who I would have gone after if I were CMM...Parcels would have been at the top of the list.

Stallings was second, but I was scared that Bama would seem too desperate to do that (even though we probably were).

I was also pretty high on Chris Hatcher at the time, with the only problem being that Bama is no plave to break in a new head coach.

While on subject, I still wanted to keep Shula. I know that this is not the common thought, but I really think Shula should have been shown more respect. He came when no single coach in the nation wanted to coach Bama, and he did a decent job, all things considered. I am glad with the end results, but I can't help but feel that Shula was dealt a hand that was dead before the ante was put up!
    "Winning isn't everything.
    It's the ONLY thing."
    Vince Lombardi

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I really liked Coach Shula, but I think he was in over his head and had NO experience in leading, organizing, recruiting, holding people accountable, no vision for the program, not Process Oriented, not willing to put in the time to achieve success, lacking intestinal fortitude, etc. I think Coach Shula is a Good man: family man and just a good human being. He is a very likable guy. Really, a handsome guy with a beautiful wife and family. I just don't think he had that FIRE in his belly to succeed at Alabama. I can still remember the deer in the headlights syndrome mentioned in many places and seeing that on TV during games.

When I was at the Mittittippi Tate game, in I think 2006, Alabama just did not look like the Alabama Crimson Tide that I had grown up loving. In that game, Alabama looked like Mittittippi Tate usually looks. I knew after that game it was time for him to go! I left that game very depressed that we were headed in the wrong direction. In fact I felt under him there was no direction for the program.

I'm just glad we got someone who knows what he is doing and is not conflicted about how to implement The Process. He'd been there and done that at Toledo, Michigan State, LSU, and he had a plan to implement to achieve success and that success has been far beyond my wildest dreams. The Man knows how to get things done efficiently, effectively, and productively. I do have unrealistic expectations that Alabama should win it all every year! However, I know that is impossible. You know, Winning never gets OLD. However, I know that one of these days I will CROAK probably while watching and pulling for the Alabama Crimson Tide.

In the future, Alabama Alumni and leaders at UA need to know that just anyone as a head coach at Alabama is not good enough. GOB's stay out of the way. Let Alabama hire the best in the business and let him do what is necessary: clean house if needed to implement his program. We need a Wade, a Thomas, a Bryant, a Stallings or a Saban type person. You can win and win BIG at Alabama if you know what you are doing. I think Coach Perkins tried but he did not possess the necessary skill set to win big time. We don't need a former player or a former assistant coach. We need the BEST in the business. It takes a special human being to assume the role of Head Football Coach at the University of Alabama.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

1-A. Nick Saban
    1-B. Gary Peterson

Glad it worked out! Although if the Fish had gotten him his QB, (Brees), history sure would have been much different!!

'This Is Crimson Tide Football'
    Where The A Says It All!

ROLL~TIDE~ROLL
    This Above All: To thine own self be TRUE!
    [William Shakespeare - (Hamlet)]