Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coa

Honestly..I wanted either Coach Saban or Coach Spurrier..I never thought either one was a realistic hire..Coach Grobe was who I wanted had we not hire either one..Yeah Yeah..Go ahead and laugh at me..LOL

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coa

At the time I would have like to have had:
    1. CNS
    2. Steve Superior
    3. Mike Riley (briefly, until hearing how he wanted to wait to see if UCLA would offer before accepting Mal's offer. He snoozed and he loozed.)

The first 2 were pipe dreams in my thinking, but intriguing nevertheless. All I knew was that we needed a strong, successful coach, and fast. No more OJT projects.
    Last edited by 1FitToBeTide; February 8th, 2013 at 05:26 AM.

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I did not want Mike to leave but I did not know what I know now about the way he treated players.

Sometimes you just get Lucky!

Thanks Coach for leading the way back to Greatness.

BamaNation All-American KanBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanted Kyle Whittingham
    Avatar is a picture of me and my High School running buddy's enjoying a Bama game

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjhadley View Post
    I wanted Lane Kiffin. Thank God I was not in charge of the coaching search and that was because I didn't think Coach Saban would leave Miami.
    Dude that's like blasphemy lol

BamaNation All-SEC tidefan39817's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

what is the love with Paul Johnson? i think another two years at Ga Tech and he will be going back to the minor league. i just did not like him as a coach at Alabama. his system is to inflexable to win year in and year out. it has to have all the "right" pieces like the spread offense to be an effective system to run year in and year out.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by tidefan39817 View Post
    what is the love with Paul Johnson? i think another two years at Ga Tech and he will be going back to the minor league. i just did not like him as a coach at Alabama. his system is to inflexable to win year in and year out. it has to have all the "right" pieces like the spread offense to be an effective system to run year in and year out.
    At the time it was running pretty effectively at Navy.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

Bobby Petrino. I am so glad I am not in charge.
    Woo! Hoo!

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Since we're being honest here, David Cutcliffe was my secret sleeper candidate. I thought he had done a great job at Ole Miss only to get shafted (I still think he got the shaft).

The day RichRod was announced was like a kick to the stomach. I couldn't stand the thought of his system at Alabama and I told more than a few folks that we'd have been better off keeping Shula.

I never seriously thought about Saban because I didn't think there was a chance he could be hired.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanted Saban or Spirrier, but given the state of the program at the time, I didn't think either would come.

My top "realistic" choice was Paul Johnson. I know he hasn't exactly torn it up at GT, but you have to set your mind to 2006, when we didnt know what seems so obvious today. As Pat Dye famously mangled, hindsight's 50 / 50.

He had Navy beating teams they'd never even been competitive with. I'm still puzzled by his lack of success at GT.

As many posters here have said, thank goodness I wasn't in charge. We should all remember how hard it is to make the right call on any major decision when there's risk no matter what you do, and there's no way to know the future.

How many folks here have been divorced?
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall, but Sylvester Croom was one of my choices.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by efd840 View Post
    Since we're being honest here, David Cutcliffe was my secret sleeper candidate. I thought he had done a great job at Ole Miss only to get shafted (I still think he got the shaft).

The day RichRod was announced was like a kick to the stomach. I couldn't stand the thought of his system at Alabama and I told more than a few folks that we'd have been better off keeping Shula.

I never seriously thought about Saban because I didn't think there was a chance he could be hired.
    I think Cutcliffe is one of, if not THE most under rated coach in America.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I think Cutcliffe is one of, if not THE most under rated coach in America.
    Had it not been for his shady dealings with Phat Phil & the NCAA when they hammered us..I wouldn't have minded him as a HC..He's a descent HC..Better than Shula anywys..I have no respect at all for Cutcliffe cause of his part with the NCAA sanctions we received..