Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team CrimsonCarl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coa

At the time I was very let down when we didn't get Rich Rod, but a bigger bullet has never been dodged. After that I was hoping for Paul Johnson until the Saban rumors started

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Re: Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coa

Steve Spurrier, I just never took the Nick Saban talk that seriously.

I wanted Shula gone for quite a while, and while I was upset when Rich Rod said no, I was never that big on him, but I felt Spurrier was proven and would win at Alabama.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I'll be honest. I was hoping to get Spurrier.I'm glad a million times over now that we didn't, but my initial choice after Coach Shula's firing was Spurrier.

I'll qualify my statement by saying, at that time, I didn't think we had a chance to get Coach Saban.
    Mal surprised me with his ruthless pursuit in this case, and it completely changed his legacy in a big big big way.

Anybody else whose initial choice wasn't Coach Saban?

P.S> This is after Rich Rod was "hired" and changed his mind....

sip
    Please!
    " The greatest battles of life are fought daily in the silent chambers of our own soul"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by illinitide View Post
    same here
    Paul Johnson, me too. I had a blog back in those days and was writing about him constantly. Based on the state of our program, Saban was a dream.
    "So, if you wanna drink the Kool-Aid..." — Nick Saban, September 27, 2008

JamieSPC— drunk on Kool-Aid, 2008-2013

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I didn't take the Nick Saban talks seriously until about two weeks after RichRod's reneg. I figured we would have found a replacement choice much more quickly than we seemed to be going with the process. At that point, right around Christmas, I felt we were in a true holding pattern waiting for somebody to finish their season. I didn't really expect Saban but I knew we were waiting to make a move for somebody big (Bob Stoops, a NFL coach, etc). I think right after Christmas I started buying the Saban talk. The rumors that his family didn't like Miami and his growing tired of the NFL situation (fearful that if he stuck it out in Miami he'd be out of a job because the doctors denied him his franchise QB...Drew Brees).

I believe I was one of the people actually on the Chris Petersen bandwagon before their OU upset. I considered him an up-and-comer and likely an easy pull from a financially inferior mid-major. When RichRod was supposedly the guy, I was dreaming of Jimmy Johns at QB. Imagine that...our starting QB would have made it a season before getting busted for dealing drugs. But between Christmas and New Years, I really believed we had a shot at Saban. If it fell through, I imagine our backup plan might have been bringing Stallings in like Synder at Kansas State recently.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude that's like blasphemy lol

I know. I just blame it on being young and dumb.

BamaNation First Team wishbonedays's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I had jumped on the Paul Johnson bandwagon and was OK with Rich Rod backing out...I too had hear the Saban rumors, but figured they were best case scenario type discussions...however, some times best-case-scenarios work out and do come to pass, and thankfully that was the case here. I must admit that I was sorta holding my breath until I saw the video feed of Coach Saban getting off the plane in Tuscaloosa.
    22 30
    "If I didn't think you could do it, I wouldn't ask you to try."
    Coach Paul Bryant, telling his players of the switch to the wishbone, Fall camp 1971.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Steve Spurrier, I just never took the Nick Saban talk that seriously.

I wanted Shula gone for quite a while, and while I was upset when Rich Rod said no, I was never that big on him, but I felt Spurrier was proven and would win at Alabama.
    I had the same thougth. Right up until Saban was hired. Then I was glad that we did not hire Spurrier. But, I still feel that Spurrier would have been a really good choice if Saban had not come on board.

BamaNation First Team Rolltide_PA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Wow...now this is a brave man folks
    thread said "be honest"

BamaNation Hall of Fame derek4tide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Like many on here, I too thought the CNS talk was just rumor and would go no where. I was hoping for Butch Davis...yikes.
    "They're not better than us," Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick said of the Tide. "They're better than everyone."

BamaNation First Team BamaBoots's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Big A Re: Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coa

I wanted Saban but Thought Coach Moore was crazy in his pursuit. After that I wanted Spurrier and Butch Davis. I was happy when we got Rodriguez for a day. Glad now of course we didn't end up with him. I did go to the A-Day game and have been to everyone since Coach Saban has been back except one because of family issues. How happy I am with where we are now and could have only dreamed it would be this good. Thanks Coach Saban and Staff and Administration and Players and Fans. Y'all are the best! Roll Tide!

BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Terry Bowden
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'll be honest. I was hoping to get Spurrier.

I'm glad a million times over now that we didn't, but my initial choice after Coach Shula's firing was Spurrier.

I'll qualify my statement by saying, at that time, I didn't think we had a chance to get Coach Saban.
    Mal surprised me with his ruthless pursuit in this case, and it completely changed his legacy in a big big big way.

Anybody else whose initial choice wasn't Coach Saban?

P.S> This is after Rich Rod was "hired" and changed his mind....

sip
    Spurrier would have already been fired by now.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS