Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coa

To be honest, I never once thought CNS would leave the NFL for Bama. I thought it was a foolish attempt by Mal Moore to go to Miami and that it would in the end be his demise. So glad I was wrong. My choice was Bob Stoops. Count me wrong twice...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Re: Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coa

Anybody not named Mike. Seriously, I would have been happy with either Grobe, Johnson or Patterson. I still think either of them would have won big at Alabama, but certainly not Coach Saban BIG.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TommyMac View Post
    Anybody not named Mike. Seriously, I would have been happy with either Grobe, Johnson or Patterson. I still think either of them would have won big at Alabama, but certainly not Coach Saban BIG.
    The only coach who won Saban big was Bryant big!! We're extremely lucky as football fans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjhadley View Post
    I know. I just blame it on being young and dumb.
    Been there...done that...and completely understand

Post Thanks / Like

So far it really looks like most favored Johnson. I do indeed think he's an excellent coach but I wonder if he would have changed his offensive philosophy. I don't know if the Navy/Tech offense could have worked in the SEC.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Spurrier would have already been fired by now.
    For his job performance or his mouth?

BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Be Honest-/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    So far it really looks like most favored Johnson. I do indeed think he's an excellent coach but I wonder if he would have changed his offensive philosophy. I don't know if the Navy/Tech offense could have worked in the SEC.
    Early on I had thought maybe Johnson, but look what's happened at Tech. Not only would the offense have eventually bombed but they have no defense! It just couldn't have worked at Bama in the long run if not also in the short.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Be Honest-/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

I was in the Paul Johnson camp. When I first saw this thread I figured I was gonna get ripped for that but it appears plenty of others had the same thoughts.

BamaNation All-SEC KrimsonNinja's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TommyMac View Post
    Anybody not named Mike.
    Absolutely. Never again.

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

Quote Originally Posted by efd840 View Post
    For his job performance or his mouth?
    Yes

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I've never quite understood the fascination with Paul Johnson--even 6-8 yrs ago. He runs an antiquated O with the exception of a few tweeks that hardly prepares players for the NFL. He's a one trick pony that I think would have failed miserably in the SEC if he had ran it here or anywhere else in the league. It might work at the service academies, but it has pretty much gone out of style everywhere else(except Tech, of course)
    Last edited by deliveryman35; February 8th, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrimsonNinja View Post
    Absolutely. Never again.
    Breaking News - Nick Saban Calls Press Conference, Announces He Has Changed His Name To Mike, Blames Verne Lundquist
    :13

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As C

I believed the Spurrier talk, and thought if we didnt get him, I'd like for Coach Stallings to come back for a year or two while we executed a 'proper' search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk