Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
With him, we'd probably be on probation for eternity.
Although the UNC stuff happened on his watch, which doesn't look good, he was exonerated of having anything to do with it. No violations on his part were ever found, and he was let go from UNC as a look to completely change the direction of the football program. Not saying he is a saint by any means, just that the UNC investigation/sanctions had nothing to do with him directly.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I wanted a provern HC and not a Dubose or Shula who would have to have "on the job" training. You know, let the Vandy's and the Miss St's of the football world give otj training and let the top programs hire the proven. I had no one particular person in mind, just wanted someone who had proven they could win big. I still feel that way. Roll Tide.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Honestly..I wanted either Coach Saban or Coach Spurrier..I never thought either one was a realistic hire..Coach Grobe was who I wanted had we not hire either one..Yeah Yeah..Go ahead and laugh at me..LOL

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
At the time I would have like to have had:
1. CNS
2. Steve Superior
3. Mike Riley (briefly, until hearing how he wanted to wait to see if UCLA would offer before accepting Mal's offer. He snoozed and he loozed.)

The first 2 were pipe dreams in my thinking, but intriguing nevertheless. All I knew was that we needed a strong, successful coach, and fast. No more OJT projects.

Last edited:

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I did not want Mike to leave but I did not know what I know now about the way he treated players.

Sometimes you just get Lucky!

Thanks Coach for leading the way back to Greatness.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
what is the love with Paul Johnson? i think another two years at Ga Tech and he will be going back to the minor league. i just did not like him as a coach at Alabama. his system is to inflexable to win year in and year out. it has to have all the "right" pieces like the spread offense to be an effective system to run year in and year out.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
what is the love with Paul Johnson? i think another two years at Ga Tech and he will be going back to the minor league. i just did not like him as a coach at Alabama. his system is to inflexable to win year in and year out. it has to have all the "right" pieces like the spread offense to be an effective system to run year in and year out.
At the time it was running pretty effectively at Navy.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
Since we're being honest here, David Cutcliffe was my secret sleeper candidate. I thought he had done a great job at Ole Miss only to get shafted (I still think he got the shaft).

The day RichRod was announced was like a kick to the stomach. I couldn't stand the thought of his system at Alabama and I told more than a few folks that we'd have been better off keeping Shula.

I never seriously thought about Saban because I didn't think there was a chance he could be hired.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I wanted Saban or Spirrier, but given the state of the program at the time, I didn't think either would come.

My top "realistic" choice was Paul Johnson. I know he hasn't exactly torn it up at GT, but you have to set your mind to 2006, when we didnt know what seems so obvious today. As Pat Dye famously mangled, hindsight's 50 / 50.

He had Navy beating teams they'd never even been competitive with. I'm still puzzled by his lack of success at GT.

As many posters here have said, thank goodness I wasn't in charge. We should all remember how hard it is to make the right call on any major decision when there's risk no matter what you do, and there's no way to know the future.

How many folks here have been divorced?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Since we're being honest here, David Cutcliffe was my secret sleeper candidate. I thought he had done a great job at Ole Miss only to get shafted (I still think he got the shaft).

The day RichRod was announced was like a kick to the stomach. I couldn't stand the thought of his system at Alabama and I told more than a few folks that we'd have been better off keeping Shula.

I never seriously thought about Saban because I didn't think there was a chance he could be hired.
I think Cutcliffe is one of, if not THE most under rated coach in America.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I think Cutcliffe is one of, if not THE most under rated coach in America.
Had it not been for his shady dealings with Phat Phil & the NCAA when they hammered us..I wouldn't have minded him as a HC..He's a descent HC..Better than Shula anywys..I have no respect at all for Cutcliffe cause of his part with the NCAA sanctions we received..

CrimsonCarl

1st Team
Jun 16, 2010
Birmingham
At the time I was very let down when we didn't get Rich Rod, but a bigger bullet has never been dodged. After that I was hoping for Paul Johnson until the Saban rumors started

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Steve Spurrier, I just never took the Nick Saban talk that seriously.

I wanted Shula gone for quite a while, and while I was upset when Rich Rod said no, I was never that big on him, but I felt Spurrier was proven and would win at Alabama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.