Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'll be honest. I was hoping to get Spurrier.

I'm glad a million times over now that we didn't, but my initial choice after Coach Shula's firing was Spurrier.

I'll qualify my statement by saying, at that time, I didn't think we had a chance to get Coach Saban.
Mal surprised me with his ruthless pursuit in this case, and it completely changed his legacy in a big big big way.

Anybody else whose initial choice wasn't Coach Saban?

P.S> This is after Rich Rod was "hired" and changed his mind....

sip

Last edited:

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I didn't know enough about who's who in the coaching world to have much of an opinion. I was actually glad Rich Rod backed out because from what I knew of his offensive style I didn't think he was a good fit.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Lou Holtz! Just kidding. Wow, those were some tense days, kind of like the Cuban Missle Crisis for CFB.....

TheSabanator

Suspended
Oct 1, 2011
Birmingham,Alabama
I'll be honest. I was hoping to get Spurrier.

I'm glad a million times over now that we didn't, but my initial choice after Coach Shula's firing was Spurrier.

I'll qualify my statement by saying, at that time, I didn't think we had a chance to get Coach Saban.
Mal surprised me with his ruthless pursuit in this case, and it completely changed his legacy in a big big big way.

Anybody else whose initial choice wasn't Coach Saban?

P.S> This is after Rich Rod was "hired" and changed his mind....

sip
I felt the absolute same as you Alasippi. I was hoping for Spurrier. If you recall, there were many rumors that he was a serious candidate. I remember some photoshop artists showing Spurrier wearing a hounds tooth cap..LOL!
Glaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad we got Saban!!!!!!

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I have said this before, but I was wanting Jimbo Fisher and was upset that we didn't go after him before he went to FSU. I thought getting coach Saban was a pipe dream. Glad I wasn't in charge.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm not a fan of firing coaches. So I was hoping they gave Mike more time to get it right. At the time, I didn't know as much about the inner workings of his program that I do now, although I was on campus during his entire tenure

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm not a fan of firing coaches. So I was hoping they gave Mike more time to get it right. At the time, I didn't know as much about the inner workings of his program that I do now, although I was on campus during his entire tenure
I felt for Shula in a way also but I think the job was just too big for his experience level.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
In order I was hoping for: 1) Saban
2) Spurrier
3) Rich Rod

.....so glad things worked out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.