Where is a crazy early depth chart?

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009
Spring will be huge for OJ. If he can get some of the blocking assignments down I think he can be a major contributor next year. Saban has been asked a few times over the years what his worst nightmare is as a defensive coach and he always says a tall Tony Gonzalez/Antonio Gates type of TE who can run and catch. This is a HUGE matchup problem for any D. Invariably the TE is going to be single covered by shorter and slower S or LBs usually in the middle of the field where there is more open space. If OJ can consistently get open and catch the ball, defenses have to react and try to double him, which creates single coverage opportunities for WRs and we have 6-7 legit guys who can burn you. If teams try to play a deep zone then we run or throw short-it will be there. In the pros, the Falcons used Gonzales well-not always throwing to him but running him deep made life a lot easier for the WRs. Atlanta had no defense or RBs and it cost them but we won't have that problem.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
It's going to be really, REALLY hard to keep OJ Howard off the field. TE's with his skill set come around about once a decade.

Howard is the first 5-star TE since Kyle Rudolph in 2008, and the highest rated TE since Martellus Bennett in 2005. He's a special player.
This is the recruit I'm most excited about. He moves extremely well for a big guy.

Spring will be huge for OJ. If he can get some of the blocking assignments down I think he can be a major contributor next year. Saban has been asked a few times over the years what his worst nightmare is as a defensive coach and he always says a tall Tony Gonzalez/Antonio Gates type of TE who can run and catch. This is a HUGE matchup problem for any D. Invariably the TE is going to be single covered by shorter and slower S or LBs usually in the middle of the field where there is more open space. If OJ can consistently get open and catch the ball, defenses have to react and try to double him, which creates single coverage opportunities for WRs and we have 6-7 legit guys who can burn you. If teams try to play a deep zone then we run or throw short-it will be there. In the pros, the Falcons used Gonzales well-not always throwing to him but running him deep made life a lot easier for the WRs. Atlanta had no defense or RBs and it cost them but we won't have that problem.
I'm glad OJ is on campus early. The man looks like he can add a lot of weight to his from. If he can get his blocking down nobody will be able to check him. Add him to that receiving corps then that's a recipe for destruction for other teams defense.

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Re: 2013 Depth Chart

Blake Sims. Do they keep him at QB or move him elsewhere (like RB)? It's a bit of a conundrum. There's quite a logjam at both positions. Not sure where he fits in; but would like to see him be able to get on the field more often. Not necessarily as a QB.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Re: 2013 Depth Chart

Blake Sims. Do they keep him at QB or move him elsewhere (like RB)? It's a bit of a conundrum. There's quite a logjam at both positions. Not sure where he fits in; but would like to see him be able to get on the field more often. Not necessarily as a QB.
I think he stays and stays at QB. He has a package just for him that will only expand. AND he's very good at it.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
By my estimation, we have 97 players returning in 2013 from the 2012 roster. I'm fairly certain that 85 of those will still be on scholarship. With 25 new guys coming in, my math says that 12 players will have to find something else to do.

Either that, or there will be some combination of grey shirts, transfers and drop outs.

We all know that Saban has a plan for getting the numbers right. And, we should all know that he knows a lot more about his players' future intentions than we do. I'd still like to know who we think moves on between now and the start of fall camp in August.

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
Does anyone have any info on Kurt Frietag? I don't ever hear his name mentioned. I've watched his videos and read his profile, and thought he would be higher in the mythical depth chart than he is. I realize he's still pretty young. His profile says he did a lot of run blocking in HS, so for that reason, I thought he'd be used a little in this upcoming season, especially in the running game.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Smelley was poised to win the starting job in 2009 but had an atrocious game as a blocker against VT
I remember watching him struggle that night. It was the worst blocking I can remember in an Alabama game. I'm glad he finally learned to get a hat on somebody.

I'll bang my head if OJ has as far to go in learning that part of the game. It'd probably mean a move to receiver or a long time before he starts.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I remember watching him struggle that night. It was the worst blocking I can remember in an Alabama game. I'm glad he finally learned to get a hat on somebody.

I'll bang my head if OJ has as far to go in learning that part of the game. It'd probably mean a move to receiver or a long time before he starts.
I know that is hyperbole because Chris Capps and Kyle Tatum played here.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I know that is hyperbole because Chris Capps and Kyle Tatum played here.

I was thinking of one of those guys before I posted, but they just seem to get ran over or ran past. I thought Smelly whiffed and got in the way as much as anything that night.:blush:

RTRCharlotte

Scout Team
Jul 26, 2010
Vogler locks down the Michael Williams position; he's a big body and a solid blocker. With his basketball lineage, I've expected that he would emerge as a pretty good receiver. Time will tell

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Didn't know Shinn was rumored to be transferring thought he played pretty well in the BCS national championship game. I expect big things out of him this next year. JMO
This is the first I have heard of any of this, and I suspect it's all baseless conjecture. Shinn will play a bit more next year, and if he continues to develop should take over Norwood's role in 2014 as a redshirt junior.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
This is the first I have heard of any of this, and I suspect it's all baseless conjecture. Shinn will play a bit more next year, and if he continues to develop should take over Norwood's role in 2014 as a redshirt junior.
Was thinking the same thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.