Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Where is a crazy early depth chart?

Agree with you Mack.

At the 1:14 mark of the video I see Circle Button II emerging.

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    I don't think it's a stretch to say he's the most talented TE we've had since Ozzie.
    Ozzie was a WR at Alabama, granted playing in a wishbone offense that sometimes had him lined up as a TE in a two TE alignment, but he was mainly a WR. He switch to TE when he was drafted by Cleveland.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Spring will be huge for OJ. If he can get some of the blocking assignments down I think he can be a major contributor next year. Saban has been asked a few times over the years what his worst nightmare is as a defensive coach and he always says a tall Tony Gonzalez/Antonio Gates type of TE who can run and catch. This is a HUGE matchup problem for any D. Invariably the TE is going to be single covered by shorter and slower S or LBs usually in the middle of the field where there is more open space. If OJ can consistently get open and catch the ball, defenses have to react and try to double him, which creates single coverage opportunities for WRs and we have 6-7 legit guys who can burn you. If teams try to play a deep zone then we run or throw short-it will be there. In the pros, the Falcons used Gonzales well-not always throwing to him but running him deep made life a lot easier for the WRs. Atlanta had no defense or RBs and it cost them but we won't have that problem.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    It's going to be really, REALLY hard to keep OJ Howard off the field. TE's with his skill set come around about once a decade.

Howard is the first 5-star TE since Kyle Rudolph in 2008, and the highest rated TE since Martellus Bennett in 2005. He's a special player.
    This is the recruit I'm most excited about. He moves extremely well for a big guy.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Where is a crazy early depth chart?

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer69 View Post
    Spring will be huge for OJ. If he can get some of the blocking assignments down I think he can be a major contributor next year. Saban has been asked a few times over the years what his worst nightmare is as a defensive coach and he always says a tall Tony Gonzalez/Antonio Gates type of TE who can run and catch. This is a HUGE matchup problem for any D. Invariably the TE is going to be single covered by shorter and slower S or LBs usually in the middle of the field where there is more open space. If OJ can consistently get open and catch the ball, defenses have to react and try to double him, which creates single coverage opportunities for WRs and we have 6-7 legit guys who can burn you. If teams try to play a deep zone then we run or throw short-it will be there. In the pros, the Falcons used Gonzales well-not always throwing to him but running him deep made life a lot easier for the WRs. Atlanta had no defense or RBs and it cost them but we won't have that problem.
    I'm glad OJ is on campus early. The man looks like he can add a lot of weight to his from. If he can get his blocking down nobody will be able to check him. Add him to that receiving corps then that's a recipe for destruction for other teams defense.

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    None on TideFans.com

Re: 2013 Depth Chart

Blake Sims. Do they keep him at QB or move him elsewhere (like RB)? It's a bit of a conundrum. There's quite a logjam at both positions. Not sure where he fits in; but would like to see him be able to get on the field more often. Not necessarily as a QB.
    RTR

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 Depth Chart

Quote Originally Posted by trenda View Post
    Blake Sims. Do they keep him at QB or move him elsewhere (like RB)? It's a bit of a conundrum. There's quite a logjam at both positions. Not sure where he fits in; but would like to see him be able to get on the field more often. Not necessarily as a QB.
    I think he stays and stays at QB. He has a package just for him that will only expand. AND he's very good at it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

By my estimation, we have 97 players returning in 2013 from the 2012 roster. I'm fairly certain that 85 of those will still be on scholarship. With 25 new guys coming in, my math says that 12 players will have to find something else to do.

Either that, or there will be some combination of grey shirts, transfers and drop outs.

We all know that Saban has a plan for getting the numbers right. And, we should all know that he knows a lot more about his players' future intentions than we do. I'd still like to know who we think moves on between now and the start of fall camp in August.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

BamaNation All-SEC p'colabamaman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any info on Kurt Frietag? I don't ever hear his name mentioned. I've watched his videos and read his profile, and thought he would be higher in the mythical depth chart than he is. I realize he's still pretty young. His profile says he did a lot of run blocking in HS, so for that reason, I thought he'd be used a little in this upcoming season, especially in the running game.
    Let those who don't want none have memories of not getting any. Let that not be their punishment, but their reward. Brother Dave Gardner

BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Smelley was poised to win the starting job in 2009 but had an atrocious game as a blocker against VT
    I remember watching him struggle that night. It was the worst blocking I can remember in an Alabama game. I'm glad he finally learned to get a hat on somebody.

I'll bang my head if OJ has as far to go in learning that part of the game. It'd probably mean a move to receiver or a long time before he starts.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by IMALOYAL1 View Post
    I remember watching him struggle that night. It was the worst blocking I can remember in an Alabama game. I'm glad he finally learned to get a hat on somebody.

I'll bang my head if OJ has as far to go in learning that part of the game. It'd probably mean a move to receiver or a long time before he starts.
    I know that is hyperbole because Chris Capps and Kyle Tatum played here.

BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I know that is hyperbole because Chris Capps and Kyle Tatum played here.

I was thinking of one of those guys before I posted, but they just seem to get ran over or ran past. I thought Smelly whiffed and got in the way as much as anything that night.