Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Where is a crazy early depth chart?

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Not really true! Even without those players we are still way deeper than any team in the nation!
    Wasn't making a comparison w/other teams so ya its less deep now than it was before 4 players got "indefinitely suspended". I agree that we still have a lot of great players and should be primed for another run.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Where is a crazy early depth chart?

Quote Originally Posted by dvldog View Post
    Wasn't making a comparison w/other teams so ya its less deep now than it was before 4 players got "indefinitely suspended". I agree that we still have a lot of great players and should be primed for another run.
    My fault! But as with all things this will soon blow over..

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBama View Post
    Henry starting at RB would not be shocking
    If he came in and started over a guy who had a 1,000 yard rushing year, I would consider it a shock. Although, he does seem to be extrememly talented.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

DJ Pettway's possible departure clears the way for Dee Liner to get into the mix. Pettway was going to push Pagan for Square's old spot...I thought Pettway had a shot at winning it too.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    DJ Pettway's possible departure clears the way for Dee Liner to get into the mix. Pettway was going to push Pagan for Square's old spot...I thought Pettway had a shot at winning it too.
    me too, Pettway looked good in the limited play time he received this year

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I thought he was transforming into a LB. I remember reading some articles about him trying to lose some weight and play the LB position. I guess his departure opens the door for Ryan Anderson to step up and make a play.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by brutetough View Post
    I thought he was transforming into a LB. I remember reading some articles about him trying to lose some weight and play the LB position. I guess his departure opens the door for Ryan Anderson to step up and make a play.
    His reps at LB was because of Denzel Devall's injury.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Where is a crazy early depth chart?

Quote Originally Posted by RTR251 View Post
    His reps at LB was because of Denzel Devall's injury.
    He stayed there though and was really coming on, but that's all a wrap now.

BamaNation All-American JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    My Mood
    Doh on TideFans.com

I don't think it's any lesser than it was a week ago. We are still a a deep team. Those players wouldn't get lot of playing time this season except for calloway, so It's a moot point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvldog View Post
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    I don't think it's any lesser than it was a week ago. We are still a a deep team. Those players wouldn't get lot of playing time this season except for calloway, so It's a moot point.
    I'm not so sure about that. Hayes would have at least been on ST again this year. Pettway was going to get meaningful PT on D, too.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

Assuming the worst happens to these guys all this does is give a few more guys reps this year. Time to hot the weight room and be ready.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

FB | REC Moderator

Don't think the dismissal of Pettway, Williams, and Hayes has any meaningful impact on the depth chart next season.

Of those three players, Pettway was the only one receiving snaps on defense this past season, and even he was only seeing time as a situational player following an injury to a younger player (Devall). Williams didn't factor in at all, and Hayes was solely a special teams player, notwithstanding some garbage time snaps on defense. None of those three guys were likely going to be significant contributors next season, and the only one who had much of a realistic chance of doing so -- Pettway -- was publicly called out by Saban or his inconistent play near the end of the season. Not exactly the best sign of meaningful playing time being imminent.

FB | REC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Pettway was going to get meaningful PT on D, too.
    As I mentioned in my previous reply, I don't believe that is correct.

Pettway was a situational pass rusher last season, and that was his only role. He could have seen snaps next season on that basis, but even so in that regard he was behind, at a minimum, Hubbard, Dickson, and Devall. He would have been competing with guys like Ryan Anderson, Jonathan Allen, and others to be the fourth guy in that situational rusher rotation.

Now, obviously, "meaningful" playing time is a fluid concept, and individual interpretations may vary. I'm sure he would have seen some playing time next season, but barring him suddenly becoming a far more complete player, I doubt he would have averaged more than 7-10 meaningful snaps per game. Clearly you would prefer to have him around nevertheless, but that's far from a major loss.