Where is a crazy early depth chart?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I like his chart but I think Arie K will end up playing at LG and starting. We have a tendency to play the "best 5" on the offensive line which is part of the reason Mike Johnson switched between RT and LG and Barrett Jones played RG, LT, and C.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
OJ Howard with comments I can only assume had to do with the arrests last night:

@TheRealOJHoward said:
Your Character is like an Iceberg because the Most important part of you is not seen 90% of the time!! #TrueTweet
It's going to be really easy to be an OJ Howard fan.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Not really true! Even without those players we are still way deeper than any team in the nation!
Wasn't making a comparison w/other teams so ya its less deep now than it was before 4 players got "indefinitely suspended". I agree that we still have a lot of great players and should be primed for another run.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
DJ Pettway's possible departure clears the way for Dee Liner to get into the mix. Pettway was going to push Pagan for Square's old spot...I thought Pettway had a shot at winning it too.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
DJ Pettway's possible departure clears the way for Dee Liner to get into the mix. Pettway was going to push Pagan for Square's old spot...I thought Pettway had a shot at winning it too.
me too, Pettway looked good in the limited play time he received this year

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
I thought he was transforming into a LB. I remember reading some articles about him trying to lose some weight and play the LB position. I guess his departure opens the door for Ryan Anderson to step up and make a play.

RTR251

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2011
Mobile, Al
I thought he was transforming into a LB. I remember reading some articles about him trying to lose some weight and play the LB position. I guess his departure opens the door for Ryan Anderson to step up and make a play.
His reps at LB was because of Denzel Devall's injury.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't think it's any lesser than it was a week ago. We are still a a deep team. Those players wouldn't get lot of playing time this season except for calloway, so It's a moot point.
Wasn't making a comparison w/other teams so ya its less deep now than it was before 4 players got "indefinitely suspended". I agree that we still have a lot of great players and should be primed for another run.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't think it's any lesser than it was a week ago. We are still a a deep team. Those players wouldn't get lot of playing time this season except for calloway, so It's a moot point.
I'm not so sure about that. Hayes would have at least been on ST again this year. Pettway was going to get meaningful PT on D, too.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Assuming the worst happens to these guys all this does is give a few more guys reps this year. Time to hot the weight room and be ready.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Don't think the dismissal of Pettway, Williams, and Hayes has any meaningful impact on the depth chart next season.

Of those three players, Pettway was the only one receiving snaps on defense this past season, and even he was only seeing time as a situational player following an injury to a younger player (Devall). Williams didn't factor in at all, and Hayes was solely a special teams player, notwithstanding some garbage time snaps on defense. None of those three guys were likely going to be significant contributors next season, and the only one who had much of a realistic chance of doing so -- Pettway -- was publicly called out by Saban or his inconistent play near the end of the season. Not exactly the best sign of meaningful playing time being imminent.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Pettway was going to get meaningful PT on D, too.
As I mentioned in my previous reply, I don't believe that is correct.

Pettway was a situational pass rusher last season, and that was his only role. He could have seen snaps next season on that basis, but even so in that regard he was behind, at a minimum, Hubbard, Dickson, and Devall. He would have been competing with guys like Ryan Anderson, Jonathan Allen, and others to be the fourth guy in that situational rusher rotation.

Now, obviously, "meaningful" playing time is a fluid concept, and individual interpretations may vary. I'm sure he would have seen some playing time next season, but barring him suddenly becoming a far more complete player, I doubt he would have averaged more than 7-10 meaningful snaps per game. Clearly you would prefer to have him around nevertheless, but that's far from a major loss.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We're such a role and substitution heavy defense, a guy like Pettway could make an impact even if he's only a situational player. His departure clearly opens up a sub-rusher spot for Anderson and Allen. It can be an impact position. Upshaw had a decent year as situational rusher in 2009 and came up huge with his scoop up fumble recovery in the national title. Dareus had a huge season in 2009 when he was mostly a substitution player after Deaderick came back from his gunshot wound.

I think that "first" sub-rusher, nickel back, and dime back are key cogs of the defense even if they aren't listed starters. There is a lot of playmaking opportunities to be had at those positions.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Barring injury or some other off the field nonsense, Jonathan Allen will MOST DEFINITELY be on the field next year. I've watched a LOT of highlight footage, and it's always hard to gauge how a young man will play at the next level if he's so much better than his competition. But to say I'm impressed with Allen is saying water is wet.

"........consensus five-star product Allen is physically ready to compete in the SEC as a freshman. He’s already 6-3, 250 pounds, but in his massive 18-year-old body, he possesses elite speed and pass rushing ability......... is perfect for Saban’s JACK linebacker........... rare combination of raw athleticism in such a massive frame. Don’t expect Allen to get buried on the depth chart even as a freshman..... Allen and Alabama are perfect matches."

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/jonathan-allen-alabama-perfect-matches/

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.