CoachingSearch.com Reports Cam Cameron Offered LSU OC Position

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

A lot of coaches wonder if the speculation about Cam Cameron joining the LSU staff as offensive coordinator is legit. From what I here, it is. A source tells me Cameron has been offered the job, in which case Steve Kragthorpe would move to an off-the-field position on the staff. Greg Studrawa would drop the offensive coordinator title and remain the offensive line coach.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I have seen posts from people that they saw him in BR today. Also been hearing for awhile they wanted to move Kragthorpe to an administrative position.

Seems like a logical move.

chalkpit

Suspended
May 31, 2012
If I was an lsu fan I would not be thrilled about this. Look at the before and after with the ravens.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It will still be Les Miles' offense. It is always the same song and dance.
Cam Cameron is basically just a new coordinator for their same ol' scheme. I don't think their scheme is broken per se...they just need a little better play calling.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that Les Miles is a very good head coach. The problem - he is not Nick Saban. I doubt that there are 5 head coaches in the game better than Miles. There are none better than Saban.

As for Cam - he strikes me as another Kiffin. Not that he has the same ethical issues, but he has been promoted without really proving himself in the lower ranks. He must be great in the interview process, but the peter principle seems to have followed him around in his last few jobs. He is going to have to gradually move backwards until he finds himself in a job in which he can be successful, IMO.

I think that Les Miles is a very good head coach. The problem - he is not Nick Saban. I doubt that there are 5 head coaches in the game better than Miles. There are none better than Saban.

As for Cam - he strikes me as another Kiffin. Not that he has the same ethical issues, but he has been promoted without really proving himself in the lower ranks. He must be great in the interview process, but the peter principle seems to have followed him around in his last few jobs. He is going to have to gradually move backwards until he finds himself in a job in which he can be successful, IMO.
Cameron made a name for himself coordinating the offense in San Diego, which happened to have the likes of LaDainian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates, Drew Brees, and Phillip Rivers at the time. Do the math in that equation.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I have seen posts from people that they saw him in BR today. Also been hearing for awhile they wanted to move Kragthorpe to an administrative position.

Seems like a logical move.
Is Kragthorpe the LSU assistant who was diagnosed with Parkinsons?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Nobody wants to say it around the program but Kragthorpe's issues have been thought to effect on-field performance. I think everyone within the staff likes Kragthorpe and his scheme but his life is going in a different direction with more important priorities right now. It would probably do him and the program a lot of good to get into an off-field duty within the program where the hours are more realistic and compatible to his condition.

It's pretty telling that they didn't go for a guy more like Crowton - a spread multiples guy - but another pro-set type coordinator. I don't think it signals a Kragthorpe firing as much as both parties agree it would be best to get him somewhere less hectic.

tambo410

1st Team
Nov 25, 2008
Fallston, MD
www.vrbo.com
As a Ravens PSL owner who has watched Cam coordinate game for the last however many years I will tell you I approve LSU making this hire. Cam overthinks the playbook, loses track of what worked and what didn't within a game and seemed to forget to use his horses for stretches during the season. Anquan Boldin broke out this year after Cam was let go. Was he that much better a receiver since Cam's firing or was he just underused in Cam's gameplan.

He has a reputation for being some kind of smart coach but in my opinion he is just not.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
The guy is great at designing an offense. He just out thinks himself when calling plays. That Ravesns offense was his, he just was to indecisive at times.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
C C had a reputation here of running a vanilla and predictable offense. He seemed to be stuck in a rut of 1st & 10, hand off to Rice. He helped develop Flacco but also held him back. Sometimes however a change of venue can force a change in philosophy.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
C C had a reputation here of running a vanilla and predictable offense. He seemed to be stuck in a rut of 1st & 10, hand off to Rice. He helped develop Flacco but also held him back. Sometimes however a change of venue can force a change in philosophy.
He and Les will get along just fine then. There are only a couple of teams that can line up and say you know what I am going to run, try to stop me and LSWho has been one of the them. I'm not sure they are going to be able to get away with it with the attrition they had.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I still remember when he was head coach at Indiana. During Antwan Randle-El's senior (?) year, he moved Randle-El from quarterback to wide receiver and started some kid at QB who couldn't distribute the ball. The theory was that Randle-El would make plays downfield, but they couldn't get it to him. The theory wasn't even sound; if your best playmaker is your best playmaker because of what he can do with the ball in his hands, you don't move him from the position where he gets the ball 60-70 times a game to a place where he's lucky to see it 10 times a game. They didn't stick with the plan the whole year, but it had done so much damage by the time he finally changed up his plan that I believe the Randle-El situation is what cost Cameron not only the Indiana job, but a future at a larger school. He was a "coach to watch" at the time. His work in the pros has been unspectacular to this point.

On the flip side, he was a good recruiter at Indiana and should help LSU there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.