Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

"BCS executive director Bill Hancock said the selection committee would consist of between 14-20 members, including at least one individual representing each of the 10 FBS conferences."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-14-20-members

Let's be clear on what they are doing here. They are telling the MWC, MAC, Sun Belt, etc... they have an equal say in this process.

This isn't the worst part though:
    "The selection committee will receive a "jury charge" from the commissioners. In ranking the teams, the committee will consider strength of schedule, where the games were played, conference championships and whether teams lost games because of injuries to key players."

I've been over the conference champions part, and by adding the football welfare conferences, they are only reinforcing that notion. The MWC or MAC is going to argue on behalf of conference champions because they know that is their in. If they want to sneak one of their teams in one of these years, they need strong precedent for showing favor to conference champions. Likewise, it is entirely possible that the Sun Belt and the SEC have the same amount of representation on this committee. The SEC won 7 straight in a fairly objective process, so the only way to fix it is to make it a subjective process.

I knew it would get worse though, and it does. Now, they have the Colt McCoy clause introduced. You might have lost a couple games, but if a key player was hurt, you get a do over.

I could go on, but why bother? We're witnessing a train wreck and I just hope Alabama gets three in a row, because after that they'll have the means to make it much more difficult.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; February 8th, 2013 at 10:03 AM.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

This is the exact reason Boise State decided not to go to the Big East. They stay in their small conference and get in because they beat everyone on their schedule.
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

If you go 12-0 -- it's all just a formality anyway. This just means that we'll just have to win every game from now on. No biggie
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    "BCS executive director Bill Hancock said the selection committee would consist of between 14-20 members, including at least one individual representing each of the 10 FBS conferences."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-14-20-members

Let's be clear on what they are doing here. They are telling the MWC, MAC, WAC, Sun Belt, etc... they have an equal say in this process.

This isn't the worst part though:
    "The selection committee will receive a "jury charge" from the commissioners. In ranking the teams, the committee will consider strength of schedule, where the games were played, conference championships and whether teams lost games because of injuries to key players."

I've been over the conference champions part, and by adding the football welfare conferences, they are only reinforcing that notion. The WAC or MAC is going to argue on behalf of conference champions because they know that is their in. If they want to sneak one of their teams in one of these years, they need strong precedent for showing favor to conference champions. Likewise, it is entirely possible that the Sun Belt and the SEC have the same amount of representation on this committee. The SEC won 7 straight in a fairly objective process, so the only way to fix it is to make it a subjective process.

I knew it would get worse though, and it does. Now, they have the Colt McCoy clause introduced. You might have lost a couple games, but if a key player was hurt, you get a do over.

I could go on, but why bother? We're witnessing a train wreck and I just hope Alabama gets three in a row, because after that they'll have the means to make it much more difficult.
    I would feel much better about this if it were a 16 team gig, but that's just toooooo many extra games to be played by athletes with the 85 limit. The result could be too many injuries in a too long extended season with too many playoff games.

Forget the WACKY MAC or the MACKY WAC or CUSA or the old USSR. Maybe we need to dissolve the NCAA and form a new smaller organization made up of the SEC, Big 12 (10). B1G, PAC 12 and the ACC. Noter Dumb can join a conference of be left out in the snow and freezing rain where where Eddie Vanderdoes will be playing.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

How in the world can you say an injury CAUSED you to lose?
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    How in the world can you say an injury CAUSED you to lose?
    I think the Irish were the most like the armless, legless knight in Monty Python...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

Why would the WAC be involved? The WAC no longer sponsors football.

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    I would feel much better about this if it were a 16 team gig, but that's just toooooo many extra games to be played by athletes with the 85 limit. The result could be too many injuries in a too long extended season with too many playoff games.

Forget the WACKY MAC or the MACKY WAC or CUSA or the old USSR. Maybe we need to dissolve the NCAA and form a new smaller organization made up of the SEC, Big 12 (10). B1G, PAC 12 and the ACC. Noter Dumb can join a conference of be left out in the snow and freezing rain where where Eddie Vanderdoes will be playing.
    It is already being done with 16 teams in Division II. If it's too hard on the athletes, it should be eliminated in Division II. The championship is won on the field.

Here's the Division II bracket from this past season:

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/d2

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamaltc View Post
    It is already being done with 16 teams in Division II. If it's too hard on the athletes, it should be eliminated in Division II. The championship is won on the field.

Here's the Division II bracket from this past season:

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/d2
    Dude....seriously. That looks like logic backed up with facts. It has no place in this discussion.

/rollingeyescarcasm

Seriously though....I couldn't agree more. FBS is the only major sport known to man with no legitimate way to determine its champion. Even my daughters TBall league that didn't keep score in games had a daggum tourney at the end.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

“I just put them on the coffee table for recruits to look at”
    -Coach Saban when asked if he wears his championship rings.

'Im sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football.
    -Andy Stiles, Sports Illustrated, after the 42-14 beat down of ND

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

OK, so the ankle-biters will have the same vote as the big dogs. And the ankle-biters will outnumber the big dogs. Who didn't see this coming??.. The next step is a 12-0 ankle-biter with a cupcake schedule gets into the playoffs before a 11-1 SEC team. Then fans howl for an 8-team playoff... Then a 16-team playoff.

No playoffs!! Oh... we're already past that...

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

This was expected. This is how it is done for the basketball tournament. This is an NCAA sponsored event now. There is no BCS. They can't leave out representation from any Division 1 conference (they could leave out the WAC if they no longer have football).

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Someone thought that the bigger conferences should have more votes?

As for the rationale used - understand that each individual on the panel will see the world differently and vote accordingly. I see no problems there, either.

Let's see how this actually plays out in the selection process for a few years before we decide that it can't possibly work.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Someone thought that the bigger conferences should have more votes?

As for the rationale used - understand that each individual on the panel will see the world differently and vote accordingly. I see no problems there, either.

Let's see how this actually plays out in the selection process for a few years before we decide that it can't possibly work.
    Our predictive powers have been pretty accurate to date...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus