Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team BamaRickandLisa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

Its more of the spread the wealth syndrome. Even if you don't deserve it, you should get a shot...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Cool Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFossil View Post
    OK, so the ankle-biters will have the same vote as the big dogs. And the ankle-biters will outnumber the big dogs. Who didn't see this coming??.. The next step is a 12-0 ankle-biter with a cupcake schedule gets into the playoffs before a 11-1 SEC team. Then fans howl for an 8-team playoff... Then a 16-team playoff.

No playoffs!! Oh... we're already past that...
    The day that the SEC announced that it would hold a SECCG was merely the 1st step to a 16 team playoff. We've always been headed there and it's a good thing.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

“I just put them on the coffee table for recruits to look at”
    -Coach Saban when asked if he wears his championship rings.

'Im sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football.
    -Andy Stiles, Sports Illustrated, after the 42-14 beat down of ND

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I'm concerned, people who wanted a playoff system have no right to complain about how the teams are selected. I have always been pro BCS because it had an objective component (the computers). Any statistician will tell you the larger the population size, the more accurate the numbers. That's why the polls and computers is a better predictor than 14 biased people in a room. Personal agendas will be pushed on others. People had to have an idea how the selection committee would be put together. Each conference will have their own interest involved. The selection committee can work if you have 64 slots to fill. You really can't complain about being the best if your team is questionably in the top 64 teams. If you are only placing 4 teams, there is a much greater chance of leaving out the best team.
    For example, last year Notre Dame was considered the #1 team and would give Bama fits. In honest truth, there were probably 10-15 teams who would have beat Notre Dame that day. But how would the experts have known that. Should Notre Dame be in the final four?
    I don't mind having a 4 team playoff, but keep the BCS in place to determine the top 4 teams.
    I've just accepted that there will always be complainers in college football. I guess that just carries more news. I guess I can be classified as one of them.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Someone thought that the bigger conferences should have more votes?

As for the rationale used - understand that each individual on the panel will see the world differently and vote accordingly. I see no problems there, either.

Let's see how this actually plays out in the selection process for a few years before we decide that it can't possibly work.
    My only concern is that once the 14 members meet together, there may be 1 or 2 very strong personalities who will persuade others. I think each member may have their own idea, but could be influenced either ethically or unethically. If the 14 just voted separately and never met in a room, it might be more fair.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    Any statistician will tell you the larger the population size, the more accurate the numbers. That's why [the combination of] the polls and computers is a better predictor than 14 biased people in a room. Personal agendas will be pushed on others.
    ^^^ This ^^^
    The Concord Blue Devils, 15-Time World Champions: 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, and 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.” ― Sergei Rachmaninoff

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusTide View Post
    This was expected. This is how it is done for the basketball tournament. This is an NCAA sponsored event now. There is no BCS. They can't leave out representation from any Division 1 conference (they could leave out the WAC if they no longer have football).
    This is not true. This is still being sponsored/run by the conferences. It won't be the BCS anymore because they'll change the name. But it's the same people running it.

And I've said before, going with a committee instead of just keeping the BCS ratings intact and taking the top 4 teams will screw it up.

BamaNation All-American RollTide1017's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The fact that they are going to consider injuries is baffling to me, that has no place in the discussion. So, are they really going to argue that a 9-3 team with key injuries at QB, RB and/or WR is better then a then a 11-1 team. Guess this group of people would have still given Texas the NC even after Bama beat them just because Colt was hurt. Including injuries is ridiculous. Shoot, I guess they should also include talk about recruits that may have slipped away.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Our predictive powers have been pretty accurate to date...
    Did Alabama fans think that the panel should consist of Alabama fans, coaches and administrators, giving the SEC automatic preference in the selection process? Anything short of that will seemingly not meet the requirements of some of your posters.

BamaNation All-American bama_fan01's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Confused on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamaltc View Post
    It is already being done with 16 teams in Division II. If it's too hard on the athletes, it should be eliminated in Division II. The championship is won on the field.

Here's the Division II bracket from this past season:

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/d2
    That argument doesn't hold water. FCS (Div 1-AA, D-2 and D-3) are limited to the number of games they play in a season, aren't they? They play 10 game schedules, with no conference championship game. That eliminates 3 games right off the bat. If a team won out in a 16 team playoff, Like Valdosta State did in this example, they would only be playing a total of 14 games (they had a first round bye). Even if a team from the first round won out, they would only play 15 games.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    My only concern is that once the 14 members meet together, there may be 1 or 2 very strong personalities who will persuade others. I think each member may have their own idea, but could be influenced either ethically or unethically. If the 14 just voted separately and never met in a room, it might be more fair.
    I don't see one or two people on the panel driving anything down the throats of the rest. Now, will there be back room dealing going on? Who knows. America can be pretty corrupt, and college football is not above that. But the idea that the SEC is now somehow in a worse position than it was before seems pretty far fetched to me.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see one or two people on the panel driving anything down the throats of the rest. Now, will there be back room dealing going on? Who knows. America can be pretty corrupt, and college football is not above that. But the idea that the SEC is now somehow in a worse position than it was before seems pretty far fetched to me.
    And you seem far fetched to me. I generally don't reply to you because it is difficult to do so without violating the profanity policy. Anyone with half a brain can see this is biased against the SEC.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    And you seem far fetched to me. I generally don't reply to you because it is difficult to do so without violating the profanity policy. Anyone with half a brain can see this is biased against the SEC.
    Really? My posts offend you in some way? If so, I apologize. That is not my intent.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Alabama fans think that the panel should consist of Alabama fans, coaches and administrators, giving the SEC automatic preference in the selection process? Anything short of that will seemingly not meet the requirements of some of your posters.
    Do you or other Buckeye fans think the panel should consist of Buckeye fans, coaches and administrators? Shouldn't Ohio St. been allowed to compete in the bowl picture since Urban was not there when Ohio St. got caught cheating? If our QB AJ McCarron gets hurt in the first game and Bama loses all the remaining games shouldn't Bama be in the bowl picture since our QB was injured? Some Buckeye fans on your own website seemingly think they have met the requirements of the new rules.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.