Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Did Alabama fans think that the panel should consist of Alabama fans, coaches and administrators, giving the SEC automatic preference in the selection process? Anything short of that will seemingly not meet the requirements of some of your posters.
    This post offended me and that WAS your intent. You know, I know, and everybody knows that we do not want that.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bama_fan01 View Post
    That argument doesn't hold water. FCS (Div 1-AA, D-2 and D-3) are limited to the number of games they play in a season, aren't they? They play 10 game schedules, with no conference championship game. That eliminates 3 games right off the bat. If a team won out in a 16 team playoff, Like Valdosta State did in this example, they would only be playing a total of 14 games (they had a first round bye). Even if a team from the first round won out, they would only play 15 games.
    It's not an argument, it's an example. I obviously failed to clearly make my point. FBS doesn't have to have a 16 team playoff exactly like Division II for it to be legit. I'm just using Division II as an example. For someone who likes the intensity of the regular season, a 10 or 11 game regular season puts more intensity into each game. Every sport, except FBS football, has some sort of playoff that includes more than 4 teams and most any team has a path to earn their way into it.

My point is that FBS COULD do something "similar" if they REALLY wanted to, but they don't want to. There's just too much money at stake with a longer regular season and the current bowl system.

Therefore, we end up with what the OP has described.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see one or two people on the panel driving anything down the throats of the rest. Now, will there be back room dealing going on? Who knows. America can be pretty corrupt, and college football is not above that. But the idea that the SEC is now somehow in a worse position than it was before seems pretty far fetched to me.
    Its not about the SEC. Its about fairness. I think this just opens up more arguments and fights between conferences in general. If you think it is bad between conferences now, just wait. More corruption and speculation is coming.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    And you seem far fetched to me. I generally don't reply to you because it is difficult to do so without violating the profanity policy. Anyone with half a brain can see this is biased against the SEC.
    Yeah, I would suppose if you had half a brain... you could come up with conspiracy and victimization theories.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation All-American Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

FCS plays an eleven game schedule. This year, they will play 12 due to an extra Saturday in the calendar.

I'm in the minority, but a 16 team playoff doesn't bother me, with ten conference champs and six wild card teams. Boise joined the big East because they could get into the BCS as a conference champ. but when the BCS was dissolved, there was no reason for them to move to what was a dysfunctional league not much better than the MWC.

Yes, there will be bias in the selection. But there is human bias in the polls used now as well as human bias in how the computer formulas are devised. We have human bias in how every other sport picks their championship field.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not really a surprise... it's not dissimilar to how it's done in basketball. Frankly, the voices of the WAC and Mountain West may drown out calls from the Big 10 for their team to leap over...
    I am a part of The Process.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

I forgot the WAC dropped football, but as long as they know there's a vote waiting for them some other nothing conference will spring up eventually.

Someone thought that the bigger conferences should have more votes?
    Who one earth thought any conference should have votes? The panel should have little to no allegiances, otherwise it's just the UN. An objective observer knows the SEC has earned respect, but a Sun Belt representative has incentive not to show the SEC their due respect. It's no different from giving China or Russia a vote on a committee.

I think the injury clause is the worst part of this all though. They threw out the BCS selection process, which worked just fine (bowl selections aside). Virtually all of the debate was between #2 and #3, but the powers that be felt that the BCS selection process betrayed them by choosing two SEC schools, so they set out to prevent that. This is about knocking off the SEC, make no mistake about it. The conference champ clause is to try and prevent Alabama in 2008, Florida in 2009, and Alabama in 2011 for example from getting into a playoff.

The injury party is just insidious and is arguably the most corrupt, and disturbing aspect I've ever heard any post season selection process introduce. It's extremely subjective, and what's the point? Well, this means if a USC for instance suffers a key injury mid-season, but the committee feels they are a team that could knock off one of the top teams, they can forgive the losses and put them in, over an SEC team, or simply because they feel they have a better chance of beating an SEC team (I know it's not ALL about the SEC, but it's mostly about the SEC and derailing them at this point). The flip side is the most disturbing though.

By introducing injuries into the selection process, they create an excuse to remove a team from the playoff because of injury. By saying a loss is forgiven due to it being a different (injured) team, they are also saying a team with key injuries going into a playoff is a lesser team than they were before. This means, if they caught wind of a G-Mac with broken ribs, that could become a factor now that injuries are part of the process. This all sounds nuts, right? Well, it's nuts to make it part of the selection process, they just want more ammunition, more ways to make the process subjective, and do what ever they want, fair or not.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    This post offended me and that WAS your intent. You know, I know, and everybody knows that we do not want that.
    Please do not tell me what my intent is with any post. I was trying to be funny. Clearly I missed with you. Again, sorry if you were/are offended.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by capnfrog View Post
    Do you or other Buckeye fans think the panel should consist of Buckeye fans, coaches and administrators? Shouldn't Ohio St. been allowed to compete in the bowl picture since Urban was not there when Ohio St. got caught cheating? If our QB AJ McCarron gets hurt in the first game and Bama loses all the remaining games shouldn't Bama be in the bowl picture since our QB was injured? Some Buckeye fans on your own website seemingly think they have met the requirements of the new rules.
    There are idiots in every fan base, and we certainly have ours. Some even believe that we should have played in the BCSCG last month - like we would have had a chance against Alabama. Now that is absurd.

I don't really know what I want from this panel. I would prefer that they just use the current BCS process to select the top 4 teams. But I am not ready to condemn a system/panel until it proves worthy of condemnation. Since this one is still two full seasons from choosing the 4 teams, I cannot possibly decide whether or not it will work out.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Please do not tell me what my intent is with any post. I was trying to be funny. Clearly I missed with you. Again, sorry if you were/are offended.
    You clearly missed with me too. Still don't see the humor even after rereading your post.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Who one earth thought any conference should have votes? The panel should have little to no allegiances, otherwise it's just the UN.
    Not possible -- every person qualified to sit on such a panel has allegiances and biases. That is actually the primary reason that I wish they had simply stuck with the BCS process for team selection.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by capnfrog View Post
    You clearly missed with me too. Still don't see the humor even after rereading your post.
    Do you see the humor in the conspiracy theory posts?

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you see the humor in the conspiracy theory posts?
    No, I'm just waiting on you getting banned from tidefans.com. Do you see the humor in this post?
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.