Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 99
  1. #40
    BamaNation All-SEC Gr8hope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,630
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    I don't see the posts as conspiracy theories. The opinions are based on the fact that the changes are being made because 2nd tier schools have complained about their inability to participate in the championship. They fail to accept the failure is theirs and not in the system. It isn't perfect but socialism for football will not make them happy either. It may ruin the outcome if the fears voiced here are confirmed by decisions based on bias or in the interest of fairness rather than excellence.
    Here, I believe we all want the best to win out and not have a trophy awarded because of a desire to spread the wealth. That includes you, our friend in Ohio.
    "There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment."-Nick Saban

  2. Advertisement
  3. #41
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,312
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by capnfrog View Post
    No, I'm just waiting on you getting banned from tidefans.com. Do you see the humor in this post?
    Don't know what to say to such a hateful post. I am just happy that there aren't many more like you on this board. Most have welcomed me.

  4. #42
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,312
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8hope View Post
    Here, I believe we all want the best to win out and not have a trophy awarded because of a desire to spread the wealth. That includes you, our friend in Ohio.
    I agree completely - even if it means that my Buckeyes never win another championship. I do not put my team or conference above the sport.

  5. #43
    BamaNation All-American KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,667
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Not possible -- every person qualified to sit on such a panel has allegiances and biases. That is actually the primary reason that I wish they had simply stuck with the BCS process for team selection.
    They want bias, and yes they should have stuck with a process that worked fairly well.

    However, don't confuse two different things. When the United States sends a delegate to the UN, they are acting on behalf of the wishes of the United States administration. They are a political animal, with political objectives. If you simply sent someone from the United States as a representative, they would act in an entirely different fashion. The same applies here. When you let the Sun Belt send someone, you know they will have their marching orders. They are there because they are from the Sun Belt, they are there with a specific agenda which is to represent the interests of the Sun Belt, not the interests of college football. If for instance they don't argue for an undefeated Sun Belt team, they will almost certainly lose their job. If on the other hand it happened to be someone that had ties in the past to the Sun Belt, then it's entirely different. Now, while they might have some bias, they are free to act on behalf of college football, and not just the irrelevant conference.

    I don't trust the SEC's representative either. I don't trust who Slive might want to represent the SEC. I'd trust someone like Finebaum more (I don't like him, and we all know where he graduated from), simply because he has some incentive to be objective. On the other hand, someone like Lou Holtz would be a disaster because we all know his ballot would be Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Arkansas every single year. The committee should have been chosen based on credibility, as objective observers and instead the qualifications are as subjective observers. To say we are choosing you because is to say we want bias in the process. Even the method for choosing members allows bias, this is all bad news.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

  6. #44
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,312
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    They want bias, and yes they should have stuck with a process that worked fairly well.

    However, don't confuse two different things. When the United States sends a delegate to the UN, they are acting on behalf of the wishes of the United States administration. They are a political animal, with political objectives. If you simply sent someone from the United States as a representative, they would act in an entirely different fashion. The same applies here. When you let the Sun Belt send someone, you know they will have their marching orders. They are there because they are from the Sun Belt, they are there with a specific agenda which is to represent the interests of the Sun Belt, not the interests of college football. If for instance they don't argue for an undefeated Sun Belt team, they will almost certainly lose their job. If on the other hand it happened to be someone that had ties in the past to the Sun Belt, then it's entirely different. Now, while they might have some bias, they are free to act on behalf of college football, and not just the irrelevant conference.

    I don't trust the SEC's representative either. I don't trust who Slive might want to represent the SEC. I'd trust someone like Finebaum more (I don't like him, and we all know where he graduated from), simply because he has some incentive to be objective. On the other hand, someone like Lou Holtz would be a disaster because we all know his ballot would be Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Arkansas every single year. The committee should have been chosen based on credibility, as objective observers and instead the qualifications are as subjective observers. To say we are choosing you because is to say we want bias in the process. Even the method for choosing members allows bias, this is all bad news.
    Solid points

  7. #45
    BamaNation All-SEC tide96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post

    This isn't the worst part though:
    "The selection committee will receive a "jury charge" from the commissioners. In ranking the teams, the committee will consider strength of schedule, where the games were played, conference championships and whether teams lost games because of injuries to key players."
    They have to have some direction and different people will interpret it different ways. That is just how it works when you include human judgment. Conference championships do have some value.

    Anything else is just letting the computers have 100% of the vote.

  8. #46
    BamaNation All-SEC jabcmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,505

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    And you seem far fetched to me. I generally don't reply to you because it is difficult to do so without violating the profanity policy. Anyone with half a brain can see this is biased against the SEC.
    I put him on the ignore list long ago.

  9. #47
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,312
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by jabcmb View Post
    I put him on the ignore list long ago.
    You can't please everyone.

  10. #48
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    45,191

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Did Alabama fans think that the panel should consist of Alabama fans, coaches and administrators, giving the SEC automatic preference in the selection process? Anything short of that will seemingly not meet the requirements of some of your posters.
    I'm not sure what brought that little sarcastic (and non-responsive) blast, but anyone who doesn't think what motivated the change was not the SEC domination during the BCS era is either naive or disingenuous...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  11. #49
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    5,540
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    How in the world can you say an injury CAUSED you to lose?
    Hey, it's not their fault that Manti Te'o's girlfriend was injured for this game.
    Lucky #13

  12. #50
    BamaNation First Team nx4bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    973

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    Dude....seriously. That looks like logic backed up with facts. It has no place in this discussion.

    /rollingeyescarcasm

    Seriously though....I couldn't agree more. FBS is the only major sport known to man with no legitimate way to determine its champion. Even my daughters TBall league that didn't keep score in games had a daggum tourney at the end.
    you just compared College Football to a GIRLS tball league to help make your point.... i think that says enough

  13. #51
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,312
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    ...anyone who doesn't think what motivated the change was not the SEC domination during the BCS era is either naive or disingenuous...
    I believe that Delany only agreed to entertain the 4 team playoff idea because of the SEC domination, but that doesn't mean that I agree that the system will be a disaster.

  14. #52
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Huntsville
    Posts
    2,003

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    First of all, I appreciate the viewpoint B1Gtide brings. He isn't being rude. Doesn't mean I agree with him on everything.

    Second, the injury clause I think goes without saying. Anytime subjective humans start deciding on teams, they will subconsciously factor injuries into their decision. It doesn't have to be said or written to know it factors in. That's another reason the BCS is better than a selection committee.

    Third, just because every other sport uses a large playoff formula doesn't make it the best for college football. I don't see how the 16th ranked team with 3 or 4 losses should have the right to be called national champion because of a simple tournament at the end of the season. I'm ok with 4 teams, but keep it there.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!