Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 99
  1. #53
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I believe that Delany only agreed to entertain the 4 team playoff idea because of the SEC domination, but that doesn't mean that I agree that the system will be a disaster.
    I partly agree with you. Delaney did agree to the playoff due to SEC domination, that was the only reason he did so. If he didnt think that building subjectivity into the committee wouldn't allow him a better chance at getting in, do you truly believe he would have supported that method, when most preferred a combination which included some form of the current ranking system (polls)???

    His agenda was clearly trying to ensure that a two team SEC championship didn't occur again, and now the criteria coming out thats supposed to be used in selecting the teams seem to back up those concerns.

    You're right that we cant call it a disaster before it actually becomes one, but the more things that you put into the panels decision based on subjectivity and aren't reflected in the current BCS rankings, the closer you get to it...

    They may not use the polls, but the general public, journalists and college football analysts will be.

    Things like player injuries being used concern me. That is subjective at its purest essence. they're adding those 'subjective' criteria into the decision to provide a smoke screen which will allow them cover to justify bypassing a team (potentially)...

    ...Which over the course of the last few years could have been used to keep a second 'SEC' team from getting into the 4 team 'playoff'....

    I do appreciate your posting and have found you to be pretty even and unbiased, but this is a VERY touchy subject in SEC country, as we see it as trying to devise a way to get 'your teams' in while keeping the SEC teams out...

    BTW: If you're going to defend the committee when its being based on a lot of subjective criteria, be ready to have very thick skin, my friend.
    Last edited by bamafaninOhiO; February 8th, 2013 at 12:33 PM.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #54
    BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    2,552

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    I'm going to miss the BCS. We have really benifited these past few years from the way the BCS selects who goes and who doesn't, also the controversy that BCS selectedwas awesome. Don't deny it wasn't. For the most part the BCS has gotten it right, as far as picking who the true best team is. Instead of putting a playoff in, I think a Plus one would have been a better scenario, who would not of loved to see Oregon-Bama!?

  4. #55
    BamaNation All-American mikes12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    2,926

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by dWarriors88 View Post
    I'm going to miss the BCS. We have really benifited these past few years from the way the BCS selects who goes and who doesn't, also the controversy that BCS selectedwas awesome. Don't deny it wasn't. For the most part the BCS has gotten it right, as far as picking who the true best team is. Instead of putting a playoff in, I think a Plus one would have been a better scenario, who would not of loved to see Oregon-Bama!?
    TBH, whichever team lost.

  5. #56
    BamaNation First Team bamatex82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Greenville, TX
    Posts
    985

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by bamaltc View Post
    Every sport, except FBS football, has some sort of playoff that includes more than 4 teams and most any team has a path to earn their way into it.
    Not true. British Premier League for instance does not have a playoff system. However, it is a small enough league and long enough season that they play everybody twice. They have a point system for wins, ties, etc. and at the end of the season the team with the most points wins. Of course there other sports that don't have playoffs like track and field and swimming, but I know that you did not mean them. However, I am trying to point out that playoff system is not the only way to anoint a champion. Most think it is the best, but I disagree.

  6. #57
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    43,245

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I believe that Delany only agreed to entertain the 4 team playoff idea because of the SEC domination, but that doesn't mean that I agree that the system will be a disaster.
    I've never felt that it necessarily had to be a disaster - just that that was the probability. The very reason that it was conceived has bias built into it from the outset. "Let's come up with a system which will crack the SEC hegemony" is hardly an auspicious start, particularly viewed from the standpoint of the SEC. BTW, have you considered using the smileys when attempting humor? Your post which irritated so many would have come across totally differently, if it had had a smiley at the end...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  7. #58
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    136

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    This whole "injury rule" smells like a negotiating point, sort of like Delaney lobbying for the Rose Bowl during the initial playoff debates. I'm also curious that they didn't mention quality wins and quality losses, or whether or not the individual votes will be made public. I'd be VERY nervous if this went from an open debate to just another "smoke-filled room".

  8. #59

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I don't see one or two people on the panel driving anything down the throats of the rest. Now, will there be back room dealing going on? Who knows. America can be pretty corrupt, and college football is not above that. But the idea that the SEC is now somehow in a worse position than it was before seems pretty far fetched to me.
    I disagree. I think the SEC is at a disadvantage as well as some of the other bigger conferences. This is the prime chance for the minor conferences to bring 'equality' and 'justice' to the unfair selection process.

  9. #60

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by bamatex82 View Post
    Not true. British Premier League for instance does not have a playoff system. However, it is a small enough league and long enough season that they play everybody twice. They have a point system for wins, ties, etc. and at the end of the season the team with the most points wins. Of course there other sports that don't have playoffs like track and field and swimming, but I know that you did not mean them. However, I am trying to point out that playoff system is not the only way to anoint a champion. Most think it is the best, but I disagree.
    While track, swimming, wrestling, etc. don't have playoffs in the sense that basketball and baseball do, they do have regional tournaments where people qualify for the national meet.

  10. #61
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I've never felt that it necessarily had to be a disaster - just that that was the probability. The very reason that it was conceived has bias built into it from the outset. "Let's come up with a system which will crack the SEC hegemony" is hardly an auspicious start, particularly viewed from the standpoint of the SEC. BTW, have you considered using the smileys when attempting humor? Your post which irritated so many would have come across totally differently, if it had had a smiley at the end...

    ...Smileys are underused, IMO...

    B1GTide has been a pretty good poster and I've enjoyed reading his viewpoints for the most part...but, your right, smileys can change the tone of a post very simply.

  11. #62
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by scrodz View Post
    This whole "injury rule" smells like a negotiating point, sort of like Delaney lobbying for the Rose Bowl during the initial playoff debates. I'm also curious that they didn't mention quality wins and quality losses, or whether or not the individual votes will be made public. I'd be VERY nervous if this went from an open debate to just another "smoke-filled room".

    Big issue to me will be,' free and full disclosure'.
    ....if you have a vote, be ready to let people know you're rationale, or its no better than a computer churning out a ranking based on algorythyms.

    But of course, its not truly about a computer program ranking the top teams, but about being able to bring in personal agendas and biases instead of using polls and computer rankings that tend to lessen those factors.

  12. #63

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Don't know what to say to such a hateful post. I am just happy that there aren't many more like you on this board. Most have welcomed me.

  13. #64
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Don't know what to say to such a hateful post. I am just happy that there aren't many more like you on this board. Most have welcomed me.
    I asked "do you see the humor in my post ". I put a smiley face on the end to show I was trying to be humorous. I don't think you were trying to be funny but no big deal. I'm still elated over the #1 recruiting ranking for Bama. Nothings' going to ruin it for me. Roll Tide.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

  14. #65
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,817
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

    Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

    For the record, I am a former supporter of a 8 or 16-team playoff who favors the four-team concept as a means of preventing injustice without diluting the regular season. I would be just fine with keeping the BCS and taking the Top Four.

    I'm not saying this in this post to pick on glasscutter, but he has formulated some of the same arguments stated elsewhere on this thread, so I chose this one for response.


    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, people who wanted a playoff system have no right to complain about how the teams are selected.
    This is incorrect. I can want a four-team playoff using the BCS and be emminently justified in rejecting this "blue ribbon panel" Brando-esque garbage.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    I have always been pro BCS because it had an objective component (the computers).
    These would be the same computers that:
    a) gave us an Oklahoma team in the national championship right after it got smoked by 28 points in a conference championship game
    b) gave us Nebraska in the national championship game right after they got drilled, 62-36, by Colorado.
    c) one of which still had Notre Dame number one AFTER the BCS title game this year
    d) two of which rated Okie State at the same level the day after they lost to Iowa State in 2011.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    Any statistician will tell you the larger the population size, the more accurate the numbers.
    Ok - keep this in mind because it will be very important in about ten seconds.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    That's why the polls
    Consisting of 60 coaches or SIDs - ALL OF WHOM HAVE THEIR OWN AGENDAS (nobody has yet mentioned this as of the time I'm typing)......


    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    and computers is a better predictor than 14 biased people in a room.
    Ok. So SIXTY biased people voting on games they didn't even watch is somehow better than 14.

    And folks - let's NOT endow those coaches and SIDs as the only unbiased people on the planet. How many of you think Pinkel put us above Okie State because Mizzou was coming to the SEC? Everybody? Good, because you're all smart, intelligent fans.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    Personal agendas will be pushed on others.
    Michigan vs Va Tech in the Sugar Bowl. Your move.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    People had to have an idea how the selection committee would be put together.
    We are in agreement here - and I'd guess it's probably unanimous on TF - that a selection committee is a pure disaster in its most evil form.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    Each conference will have their own interest involved.
    Just like...right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    The selection committee can work if you have 64 slots to fill.
    That Dallas Zoo gorilla from the 1980s who used to pick the football games could do as well as the 64/65/96-team selection committee.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    You really can't complain about being the best if your team is questionably in the top 64 teams.
    I may frame that quote because it is a classic.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    If you are only placing 4 teams, there is a much greater chance of leaving out the best team.
    Yes and no. It depends as noted on HOW it is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    For example, last year Notre Dame was considered the #1 team
    They played a respectable schedule and were unbeaten. They should have been considered number one at the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    and would give Bama fits.
    Subjectivity noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    In honest truth, there were probably 10-15 teams who would have beat Notre Dame that day.
    Maybe, maybe not.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    But how would the experts have known that.
    Well, according to the article linked by krazy3, their win over USC was tainted because Barkley didn't play, so they would "really" have one loss. Yes, I'm being facetious.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    Should Notre Dame be in the final four?
    Last year? Absolutely. The fact they didn't look like a top four team in January has no bearing on the fact they were deserving in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    I don't mind having a 4 team playoff, but keep the BCS in place to determine the top 4 teams.
    I've just accepted that there will always be complainers in college football. I guess that just carries more news. I guess I can be classified as one of them.
    We agree here.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!