College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Bringing injuries into the equation is intended to prop up the smaller schools that don't have depth. When Alabama suffers a key injury, we replace the player with another great player. Saying that a loss is more forgivable because of an injury is saying that depth isn't part of what makes a team great. The national championship should go to the best team, which includes more than just the opening-day starters.
That is an excellent observation...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Well B1G anyway. I alluded awhile ago to your being pleasantly different than most posters who are fans of another team who hang out on another team's board. Although I've never quite figured out why people do that, you don't seem to push an OSU agenda in a contradictory way and for whatever reason have an interest in Bama and this board. As such I'm happy to have you here and read your posts.

But don't expect me to defend the B1G and especially that idiot Delaney and his politicking, as well as the new playoff system.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
I don't understand that kind of thought process either.....very puzzling!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Saying that a loss is more forgivable because of an injury is saying that depth isn't part of what makes a team great.
That is a great point. It just never occurred to me that they could ever consider an injury as part of their equation. If they ran the NBA playoff, they'd make the Lakers a 2 seed or something I guess.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That is a great point. It just never occurred to me that they could ever consider an injury as part of their equation. If they ran the NBA playoff, they'd make the Lakers a 2 seed or something I guess.
I was looking at the injury thing the other way around - did a team play another team that was without its best player or players, thereby getting a "false" strength of schedule lift for the victory over an injury depleted team. That makes at least some sense.

But the idea that a team gets a lift because it lost a game when its best player/players were out (for any reason) is absurd. Quality depth has always been a huge part of the game. Injuries have cost countless teams championships, but also created opportunity for other schools/teams.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
If injuries are going to be part of the decisions made, why not other difficulties? Can a temporarily academically ineligible player be considered? If team is a pass oriented and it rains, shouldn't that be considered? If an imaginary girl friend of one of the players dies, doesn't that affect a team's demeanor and performance? A death like that could even bolster their determination so the team they defeat should get extra credit for facing an "unfair" force.
Penn State would have had a great case for "special" consideration this year. They faced extreme adversity and performed well above what was expected of the players and coaches. That probably could vault them right into one of the top four with this kind of thinking. Geez.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think we can get a good glimpse of the problems a so-called Selection Committee can cause by looking at what caused this to get propelled forward so strongly. Let's take a look at 2011.

Remember that the ENTIRE DISCUSSION in 2011 centered on ONE QUESTION: should LSU play Alabama or Oklahoma State? THAT was the ENTIRE issue at hand. Oregon and Stanford had two losses and were thus eliminated. Neither Boise State nor Houston was a serious contender.

A four-team playoff - allegedly - settles the issue. So here are the Final Four BCS Standings for December 4, 2011:

1) LSU
2) Alabama
3) OK State
4) Stanford

Now....NOBODY could have complained if these four teams had gone. NOBODY!!! Oregon may have beat Stanford, but they also had two losses.

So why do we need a selection committee with ridiculous criteria? Let's take a look at the rest of the teams and see what their issues were:

5) Oregon - two losses, not a conference champion
6) Arkansas - two losses, not a conference or division champion
7) Boise St - one loss, terrible SOS, conference champion
8) Kansas St - two losses, not a conference champion
9) South Carolina - two losses (one to #6 Ark), not even a division champion
10) Wisconsin - two losses but DID win conference, very weak SOS

So what do you need a selection committee for the only real problem here? And dare I point out that the same people screaming hysterical about Alabama not winning the SEC said nary a word about Stanford NOT winning the Pac 12?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
By the way - is taking into account "injuries" a way of saying "takes into account when a school loses two people the players don't even know in a tragic plane crash and then blows 24-7 lead against sub-.500 also ran?"

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Haven't read all the post but as pertains to all the conferences getting a vote, when it comes to the MAC, and the other smaller conferences their teams will first, have to be undefeated, second, have a good strength of schedule with some marquee wins to even be considered ahead of any big conference 1 loss top ranked team. If you are talking about bias, none of the big conference votes will go to a small conference champion in my opinion, even if they are undefeated. But we shall see! ;)

When I look back at the past several years and the BCS rankings its hard for me to see any of the BCS top 2 teams those years that would have not got in a four team playoff even with a committee. Bama maybe in '11? But when you take in account Bama's one loss and to who it was to and how it happened, then I still believe Bama would have gotten in the top 4 with any committee. But I suppose the possibility would have been there.

Now Bama '08 and Florida '09 would have been a bigger question. The thing is no one knows how a committee would have chosen the others past the top two teams in any of the BCS years. I am pretty sure though that the final top two teams of the BCS would have gotten in in any committee's decision. Just can't see a #1 or #2 falling out of the top 4.

I truly believe though that when the final 4 playoff contract is over they will expand to 8 teams. By then we may be talking about super conference champions and wildcards. Time will tell! ;)

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
By the way - is taking into account "injuries" a way of saying "takes into account when a school loses two people the players don't even know in a tragic plane crash and then blows 24-7 lead against sub-.500 also ran?"

Yeah, no one ever mentions that Okie State jumped out to something like a 21-0 lead before the effects of the tragedy started to kick in. I guess all of a sudden they collectively realized their loss and started to play badly. :conf2:

Last edited:

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Here's something else to consider.

When there are multiple SEC teams involved, which should be most of the time, they will ALWAYS play each other in the early rounds so they can eliminate the possibility of another SEC vs. SEC championship game.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Here's something else to consider.

When there are multiple SEC teams involved, which should be most of the time, they will ALWAYS play each other in the early rounds so they can eliminate the possibility of another SEC vs. SEC championship game.
Thats probably what will happen with one exception. If a Boise State or like team were to get in I would think they would be the last team in, behind any undefeated and 1 loss major conference champions. Then if the SEC champion is seeded #1 they would be matched against Boise. The reason that is unlikely to happen though is if Boise gets in they would probably be the team replacing a 1 loss SEC non-champion. So you are nearly 100% correct! ;)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah, no one ever mentions that Okie State jumped out to something like a 21-0 lead before the effects of the tragedy started to kick in. I guess all of a sudden they collectively realized their loss and started to play badly. :conf2:
That to me is the biggest reason that excuse is so lame. I honestly wish the game had been delayed a day just to avoid the issue. But for starters it was the WOMEN'S basketball team. None of the football players was on the women's basketball team. The campus has 24,000 students, MOST OF WHOM wouldn't know the women's basketball coach if said coach was teaching their class. I'm sure the football coaches knew them.

But again - so what?

If Okie State had TRAILED 24-7 and came back and then lost, I think a lame argument could be made for accepting that. OK State scored the first TD of the game on an interception return (70 yards) for a TD when Iowa St was driving. The Cyclones missed a FG in the first quarter and Okie St led 17-7 at the half, and scored on the FIRST DRIVE OF THE SECOND HALF to go up 24-7.

Then - apparently - they had a collective anxiety attack of depression and folded.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Bringing injuries into the equation is intended to prop up the smaller schools that don't have depth. When Alabama suffers a key injury, we replace the player with another great player. Saying that a loss is more forgivable because of an injury is saying that depth isn't part of what makes a team great. The national championship should go to the best team, which includes more than just the opening-day starters.
I just can't see where that would help any smaller schools get in. Any loss by say a Boise State, Hawaii, Northern Illinois, regardless the circumstances, would end any chance for those teams jumping a 1 loss major conference top ranked team. They just will not get the votes without being one of if not the only undefeated team at seasons end.

Now it could come into play for a 1 loss major conference team that is not a conference champion.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
The one thing that I think takes care of anything the selection committee can do wrong is winning. As long as you win all of your games, there is no problem. If you lose, then you're subjected to having to be put in front of a selection panel. As for the "bias" of having a 14 person selection panel, it isn't different that anything now. Coaches or SID's vote for their conference mates more frequently at higher spots. At least now they have to put their bias on the table in front of everyone. As for the computers... It's funny how everyone loves the computers now that they are being taken away, but everyone hated them when the were showing the Big 12 so much love in 2011. At least let's see how this works before burying it...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
This is probably not the place, but I think I just figured out what B1G means. The G is supposed to read as zero, right? Big 10? Downright clever. Irrelevant, pretty much, to college football, and still clever in a cutesy sort of way.
But to me it is easier to understand if it were B10. You know, tell everybody the "0" should be read as a "G." It would still be cute, easier to understand, and still irrelevant-- everything B1G has going for it, but better.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
As far as I'm concerned, people who wanted a playoff system have no right to complain about how the teams are selected. I have always been pro BCS because it had an objective component (the computers). Any statistician will tell you the larger the population size, the more accurate the numbers. That's why the polls and computers is a better predictor than 14 biased people in a room. Personal agendas will be pushed on others. People had to have an idea how the selection committee would be put together. Each conference will have their own interest involved. The selection committee can work if you have 64 slots to fill. You really can't complain about being the best if your team is questionably in the top 64 teams. If you are only placing 4 teams, there is a much greater chance of leaving out the best team.
For example, last year Notre Dame was considered the #1 team and would give Bama fits. In honest truth, there were probably 10-15 teams who would have beat Notre Dame that day. But how would the experts have known that. Should Notre Dame be in the final four?
I don't mind having a 4 team playoff, but keep the BCS in place to determine the top 4 teams.
I've just accepted that there will always be complainers in college football. I guess that just carries more news. I guess I can be classified as one of them.:cool:
100% agree with you!!!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The one thing that I think takes care of anything the selection committee can do wrong is winning. As long as you win all of your games, there is no problem. If you lose, then you're subjected to having to be put in front of a selection panel. As for the "bias" of having a 14 person selection panel, it isn't different that anything now. Coaches or SID's vote for their conference mates more frequently at higher spots. At least now they have to put their bias on the table in front of everyone. As for the computers... It's funny how everyone loves the computers now that they are being taken away, but everyone hated them when the were showing the Big 12 so much love in 2011. At least let's see how this works before burying it...
No true. If an "injury" caused a team to lose, then they can go ahead of you even if you are 13-0. And they ought to, cause you shouldn't have been so mean as to hurt their player.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.