Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

This is going to be fun...

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk
    ROLL TIDE!

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

The idea of a playoff to crown a champion is OK, but the PTB are going about this backwards and making the playoffs conform to a flawed FBS. There are currently 120 teams and 11 conferences in the FBS, way to many and to varied. Some conferences have 14 teams, some 12, some 10, some 8, some with CCG's, some without, some teams with 20k average attendance and $20m athletic budgets in the same classification as teams averaging 100k with $100m budgets. That's like having Mountain Brook and Ider fighting for an Alabama high school championship and then trying to make a playoff that's "fair".
    These playoffs aren't going to fix the problem, just cover it up. If they're not going to fix the FBS, the current way is better. They'll go from 4 teams to 8 for sure, and then probably to 12 or 16. The FCS started their playoffs with 4 in 1973 I think, next year it'll be 24. Expansion is inevitable. If the FBS was fixed first and then a playoff was formed, it would work.
    If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBayBama View Post
    Bringing injuries into the equation is intended to prop up the smaller schools that don't have depth. When Alabama suffers a key injury, we replace the player with another great player. Saying that a loss is more forgivable because of an injury is saying that depth isn't part of what makes a team great. The national championship should go to the best team, which includes more than just the opening-day starters.
    That is an excellent observation...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That is an excellent observation...
    I agree. Now send that to the NCAA!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1958againbear View Post
    Well B1G anyway. I alluded awhile ago to your being pleasantly different than most posters who are fans of another team who hang out on another team's board. Although I've never quite figured out why people do that, you don't seem to push an OSU agenda in a contradictory way and for whatever reason have an interest in Bama and this board. As such I'm happy to have you here and read your posts.

But don't expect me to defend the B1G and especially that idiot Delaney and his politicking, as well as the new playoff system.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't understand that kind of thought process either.....very puzzling!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBayBama View Post
    Saying that a loss is more forgivable because of an injury is saying that depth isn't part of what makes a team great.
    That is a great point. It just never occurred to me that they could ever consider an injury as part of their equation. If they ran the NBA playoff, they'd make the Lakers a 2 seed or something I guess.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    That is a great point. It just never occurred to me that they could ever consider an injury as part of their equation. If they ran the NBA playoff, they'd make the Lakers a 2 seed or something I guess.
    I was looking at the injury thing the other way around - did a team play another team that was without its best player or players, thereby getting a "false" strength of schedule lift for the victory over an injury depleted team. That makes at least some sense.

But the idea that a team gets a lift because it lost a game when its best player/players were out (for any reason) is absurd. Quality depth has always been a huge part of the game. Injuries have cost countless teams championships, but also created opportunity for other schools/teams.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

If injuries are going to be part of the decisions made, why not other difficulties? Can a temporarily academically ineligible player be considered? If team is a pass oriented and it rains, shouldn't that be considered? If an imaginary girl friend of one of the players dies, doesn't that affect a team's demeanor and performance? A death like that could even bolster their determination so the team they defeat should get extra credit for facing an "unfair" force.
    Penn State would have had a great case for "special" consideration this year. They faced extreme adversity and performed well above what was expected of the players and coaches. That probably could vault them right into one of the top four with this kind of thinking. Geez.
    Last edited by Gr8hope; February 9th, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
    "There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment."-Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think we can get a good glimpse of the problems a so-called Selection Committee can cause by looking at what caused this to get propelled forward so strongly. Let's take a look at 2011.

Remember that the ENTIRE DISCUSSION in 2011 centered on ONE QUESTION: should LSU play Alabama or Oklahoma State? THAT was the ENTIRE issue at hand. Oregon and Stanford had two losses and were thus eliminated. Neither Boise State nor Houston was a serious contender.

A four-team playoff - allegedly - settles the issue. So here are the Final Four BCS Standings for December 4, 2011:

1) LSU
    2) Alabama
    3) OK State
    4) Stanford

Now....NOBODY could have complained if these four teams had gone. NOBODY!!! Oregon may have beat Stanford, but they also had two losses.

So why do we need a selection committee with ridiculous criteria? Let's take a look at the rest of the teams and see what their issues were:

5) Oregon - two losses, not a conference champion
    6) Arkansas - two losses, not a conference or division champion
    7) Boise St - one loss, terrible SOS, conference champion
    8) Kansas St - two losses, not a conference champion
    9) South Carolina - two losses (one to #6 Ark), not even a division champion
    10) Wisconsin - two losses but DID win conference, very weak SOS

So what do you need a selection committee for the only real problem here? And dare I point out that the same people screaming hysterical about Alabama not winning the SEC said nary a word about Stanford NOT winning the Pac 12?
    :13

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

By the way - is taking into account "injuries" a way of saying "takes into account when a school loses two people the players don't even know in a tragic plane crash and then blows 24-7 lead against sub-.500 also ran?"
    :13

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't read all the post but as pertains to all the conferences getting a vote, when it comes to the MAC, and the other smaller conferences their teams will first, have to be undefeated, second, have a good strength of schedule with some marquee wins to even be considered ahead of any big conference 1 loss top ranked team. If you are talking about bias, none of the big conference votes will go to a small conference champion in my opinion, even if they are undefeated. But we shall see!

When I look back at the past several years and the BCS rankings its hard for me to see any of the BCS top 2 teams those years that would have not got in a four team playoff even with a committee. Bama maybe in '11? But when you take in account Bama's one loss and to who it was to and how it happened, then I still believe Bama would have gotten in the top 4 with any committee. But I suppose the possibility would have been there.

Now Bama '08 and Florida '09 would have been a bigger question. The thing is no one knows how a committee would have chosen the others past the top two teams in any of the BCS years. I am pretty sure though that the final top two teams of the BCS would have gotten in in any committee's decision. Just can't see a #1 or #2 falling out of the top 4.

I truly believe though that when the final 4 playoff contract is over they will expand to 8 teams. By then we may be talking about super conference champions and wildcards. Time will tell!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    By the way - is taking into account "injuries" a way of saying "takes into account when a school loses two people the players don't even know in a tragic plane crash and then blows 24-7 lead against sub-.500 also ran?"

Yeah, no one ever mentions that Okie State jumped out to something like a 21-0 lead before the effects of the tragedy started to kick in. I guess all of a sudden they collectively realized their loss and started to play badly.
    Last edited by TommyMac; February 9th, 2013 at 08:57 AM.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Here's something else to consider.

When there are multiple SEC teams involved, which should be most of the time, they will ALWAYS play each other in the early rounds so they can eliminate the possibility of another SEC vs. SEC championship game.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant