Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Re: College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

Quote Originally Posted by TommyMac View Post
    Here's something else to consider.

When there are multiple SEC teams involved, which should be most of the time, they will ALWAYS play each other in the early rounds so they can eliminate the possibility of another SEC vs. SEC championship game.
    Thats probably what will happen with one exception. If a Boise State or like team were to get in I would think they would be the last team in, behind any undefeated and 1 loss major conference champions. Then if the SEC champion is seeded #1 they would be matched against Boise. The reason that is unlikely to happen though is if Boise gets in they would probably be the team replacing a 1 loss SEC non-champion. So you are nearly 100% correct!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TommyMac View Post
    Yeah, no one ever mentions that Okie State jumped out to something like a 21-0 lead before the effects of the tragedy started to kick in. I guess all of a sudden they collectively realized their loss and started to play badly.
    That to me is the biggest reason that excuse is so lame. I honestly wish the game had been delayed a day just to avoid the issue. But for starters it was the WOMEN'S basketball team. None of the football players was on the women's basketball team. The campus has 24,000 students, MOST OF WHOM wouldn't know the women's basketball coach if said coach was teaching their class. I'm sure the football coaches knew them.

But again - so what?

If Okie State had TRAILED 24-7 and came back and then lost, I think a lame argument could be made for accepting that. OK State scored the first TD of the game on an interception return (70 yards) for a TD when Iowa St was driving. The Cyclones missed a FG in the first quarter and Okie St led 17-7 at the half, and scored on the FIRST DRIVE OF THE SECOND HALF to go up 24-7.

Then - apparently - they had a collective anxiety attack of depression and folded.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBayBama View Post
    Bringing injuries into the equation is intended to prop up the smaller schools that don't have depth. When Alabama suffers a key injury, we replace the player with another great player. Saying that a loss is more forgivable because of an injury is saying that depth isn't part of what makes a team great. The national championship should go to the best team, which includes more than just the opening-day starters.
    I just can't see where that would help any smaller schools get in. Any loss by say a Boise State, Hawaii, Northern Illinois, regardless the circumstances, would end any chance for those teams jumping a 1 loss major conference top ranked team. They just will not get the votes without being one of if not the only undefeated team at seasons end.

Now it could come into play for a 1 loss major conference team that is not a conference champion.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I think the Irish were the most like the armless, legless knight in Monty Python...

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

The one thing that I think takes care of anything the selection committee can do wrong is winning. As long as you win all of your games, there is no problem. If you lose, then you're subjected to having to be put in front of a selection panel. As for the "bias" of having a 14 person selection panel, it isn't different that anything now. Coaches or SID's vote for their conference mates more frequently at higher spots. At least now they have to put their bias on the table in front of everyone. As for the computers... It's funny how everyone loves the computers now that they are being taken away, but everyone hated them when the were showing the Big 12 so much love in 2011. At least let's see how this works before burying it...

This is probably not the place, but I think I just figured out what B1G means. The G is supposed to read as zero, right? Big 10? Downright clever. Irrelevant, pretty much, to college football, and still clever in a cutesy sort of way.
    But to me it is easier to understand if it were B10. You know, tell everybody the "0" should be read as a "G." It would still be cute, easier to understand, and still irrelevant-- everything B1G has going for it, but better.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, people who wanted a playoff system have no right to complain about how the teams are selected. I have always been pro BCS because it had an objective component (the computers). Any statistician will tell you the larger the population size, the more accurate the numbers. That's why the polls and computers is a better predictor than 14 biased people in a room. Personal agendas will be pushed on others. People had to have an idea how the selection committee would be put together. Each conference will have their own interest involved. The selection committee can work if you have 64 slots to fill. You really can't complain about being the best if your team is questionably in the top 64 teams. If you are only placing 4 teams, there is a much greater chance of leaving out the best team.
    For example, last year Notre Dame was considered the #1 team and would give Bama fits. In honest truth, there were probably 10-15 teams who would have beat Notre Dame that day. But how would the experts have known that. Should Notre Dame be in the final four?
    I don't mind having a 4 team playoff, but keep the BCS in place to determine the top 4 teams.
    I've just accepted that there will always be complainers in college football. I guess that just carries more news. I guess I can be classified as one of them.
    100% agree with you!!!
    An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. John Buchan

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    The one thing that I think takes care of anything the selection committee can do wrong is winning. As long as you win all of your games, there is no problem. If you lose, then you're subjected to having to be put in front of a selection panel. As for the "bias" of having a 14 person selection panel, it isn't different that anything now. Coaches or SID's vote for their conference mates more frequently at higher spots. At least now they have to put their bias on the table in front of everyone. As for the computers... It's funny how everyone loves the computers now that they are being taken away, but everyone hated them when the were showing the Big 12 so much love in 2011. At least let's see how this works before burying it...
    No true. If an "injury" caused a team to lose, then they can go ahead of you even if you are 13-0. And they ought to, cause you shouldn't have been so mean as to hurt their player.
    An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. John Buchan