College football playoff selection process already screwed up...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
"BCS executive director Bill Hancock said the selection committee would consist of between 14-20 members, including at least one individual representing each of the 10 FBS conferences."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...off-selection-committee-consist-14-20-members

Let's be clear on what they are doing here. They are telling the MWC, MAC, Sun Belt, etc... they have an equal say in this process.

This isn't the worst part though:
"The selection committee will receive a "jury charge" from the commissioners. In ranking the teams, the committee will consider strength of schedule, where the games were played, conference championships and whether teams lost games because of injuries to key players."

I've been over the conference champions part, and by adding the football welfare conferences, they are only reinforcing that notion. The MWC or MAC is going to argue on behalf of conference champions because they know that is their in. If they want to sneak one of their teams in one of these years, they need strong precedent for showing favor to conference champions. Likewise, it is entirely possible that the Sun Belt and the SEC have the same amount of representation on this committee. The SEC won 7 straight in a fairly objective process, so the only way to fix it is to make it a subjective process.

I knew it would get worse though, and it does. Now, they have the Colt McCoy clause introduced. You might have lost a couple games, but if a key player was hurt, you get a do over.

I could go on, but why bother? We're witnessing a train wreck and I just hope Alabama gets three in a row, because after that they'll have the means to make it much more difficult.

Last edited:

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
This is the exact reason Boise State decided not to go to the Big East. They stay in their small conference and get in because they beat everyone on their schedule.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If you go 12-0 -- it's all just a formality anyway. This just means that we'll just have to win every game from now on. No biggie ;)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
"BCS executive director Bill Hancock said the selection committee would consist of between 14-20 members, including at least one individual representing each of the 10 FBS conferences."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...off-selection-committee-consist-14-20-members

Let's be clear on what they are doing here. They are telling the MWC, MAC, WAC, Sun Belt, etc... they have an equal say in this process.

This isn't the worst part though:
"The selection committee will receive a "jury charge" from the commissioners. In ranking the teams, the committee will consider strength of schedule, where the games were played, conference championships and whether teams lost games because of injuries to key players."

I've been over the conference champions part, and by adding the football welfare conferences, they are only reinforcing that notion. The WAC or MAC is going to argue on behalf of conference champions because they know that is their in. If they want to sneak one of their teams in one of these years, they need strong precedent for showing favor to conference champions. Likewise, it is entirely possible that the Sun Belt and the SEC have the same amount of representation on this committee. The SEC won 7 straight in a fairly objective process, so the only way to fix it is to make it a subjective process.

I knew it would get worse though, and it does. Now, they have the Colt McCoy clause introduced. You might have lost a couple games, but if a key player was hurt, you get a do over.

I could go on, but why bother? We're witnessing a train wreck and I just hope Alabama gets three in a row, because after that they'll have the means to make it much more difficult.
I would feel much better about this if it were a 16 team gig, but that's just toooooo many extra games to be played by athletes with the 85 limit. The result could be too many injuries in a too long extended season with too many playoff games.

Forget the WACKY MAC or the MACKY WAC or CUSA or the old USSR. Maybe we need to dissolve the NCAA and form a new smaller organization made up of the SEC, Big 12 (10). B1G, PAC 12 and the ACC. Noter Dumb can join a conference of be left out in the snow and freezing rain where where Eddie Vanderdoes will be playing.

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
I would feel much better about this if it were a 16 team gig, but that's just toooooo many extra games to be played by athletes with the 85 limit. The result could be too many injuries in a too long extended season with too many playoff games.

Forget the WACKY MAC or the MACKY WAC or CUSA or the old USSR. Maybe we need to dissolve the NCAA and form a new smaller organization made up of the SEC, Big 12 (10). B1G, PAC 12 and the ACC. Noter Dumb can join a conference of be left out in the snow and freezing rain where where Eddie Vanderdoes will be playing.
It is already being done with 16 teams in Division II. If it's too hard on the athletes, it should be eliminated in Division II. The championship is won on the field.

Here's the Division II bracket from this past season:

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/d2

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
It is already being done with 16 teams in Division II. If it's too hard on the athletes, it should be eliminated in Division II. The championship is won on the field.

Here's the Division II bracket from this past season:

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/d2
Dude....seriously. That looks like logic backed up with facts. It has no place in this discussion.

/rollingeyescarcasm

Seriously though....I couldn't agree more. FBS is the only major sport known to man with no legitimate way to determine its champion. Even my daughters TBall league that didn't keep score in games had a daggum tourney at the end.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
OK, so the ankle-biters will have the same vote as the big dogs. And the ankle-biters will outnumber the big dogs. Who didn't see this coming??.. The next step is a 12-0 ankle-biter with a cupcake schedule gets into the playoffs before a 11-1 SEC team. Then fans howl for an 8-team playoff... Then a 16-team playoff.

No playoffs!! Oh... we're already past that... :mad2:

ColumbusTide

1st Team
Jan 10, 2007
This was expected. This is how it is done for the basketball tournament. This is an NCAA sponsored event now. There is no BCS. They can't leave out representation from any Division 1 conference (they could leave out the WAC if they no longer have football).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Someone thought that the bigger conferences should have more votes? :conf2:

As for the rationale used - understand that each individual on the panel will see the world differently and vote accordingly. I see no problems there, either.

Let's see how this actually plays out in the selection process for a few years before we decide that it can't possibly work.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

As for the rationale used - understand that each individual on the panel will see the world differently and vote accordingly. I see no problems there, either.

Let's see how this actually plays out in the selection process for a few years before we decide that it can't possibly work.
Our predictive powers have been pretty accurate to date...

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
OK, so the ankle-biters will have the same vote as the big dogs. And the ankle-biters will outnumber the big dogs. Who didn't see this coming??.. The next step is a 12-0 ankle-biter with a cupcake schedule gets into the playoffs before a 11-1 SEC team. Then fans howl for an 8-team playoff... Then a 16-team playoff.

No playoffs!! Oh... we're already past that... :mad2:
The day that the SEC announced that it would hold a SECCG was merely the 1st step to a 16 team playoff. We've always been headed there and it's a good thing.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
As far as I'm concerned, people who wanted a playoff system have no right to complain about how the teams are selected. I have always been pro BCS because it had an objective component (the computers). Any statistician will tell you the larger the population size, the more accurate the numbers. That's why the polls and computers is a better predictor than 14 biased people in a room. Personal agendas will be pushed on others. People had to have an idea how the selection committee would be put together. Each conference will have their own interest involved. The selection committee can work if you have 64 slots to fill. You really can't complain about being the best if your team is questionably in the top 64 teams. If you are only placing 4 teams, there is a much greater chance of leaving out the best team.
For example, last year Notre Dame was considered the #1 team and would give Bama fits. In honest truth, there were probably 10-15 teams who would have beat Notre Dame that day. But how would the experts have known that. Should Notre Dame be in the final four?
I don't mind having a 4 team playoff, but keep the BCS in place to determine the top 4 teams.
I've just accepted that there will always be complainers in college football. I guess that just carries more news. I guess I can be classified as one of them.:cool:

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

My only concern is that once the 14 members meet together, there may be 1 or 2 very strong personalities who will persuade others. I think each member may have their own idea, but could be influenced either ethically or unethically. If the 14 just voted separately and never met in a room, it might be more fair.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This was expected. This is how it is done for the basketball tournament. This is an NCAA sponsored event now. There is no BCS. They can't leave out representation from any Division 1 conference (they could leave out the WAC if they no longer have football).
This is not true. This is still being sponsored/run by the conferences. It won't be the BCS anymore because they'll change the name. But it's the same people running it.

And I've said before, going with a committee instead of just keeping the BCS ratings intact and taking the top 4 teams will screw it up.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The fact that they are going to consider injuries is baffling to me, that has no place in the discussion. So, are they really going to argue that a 9-3 team with key injuries at QB, RB and/or WR is better then a then a 11-1 team. Guess this group of people would have still given Texas the NC even after Bama beat them just because Colt was hurt. Including injuries is ridiculous. Shoot, I guess they should also include talk about recruits that may have slipped away.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.