Question: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I am sure the coach we hire will be very familiar with zone blocking schemes. I do not know if some of the names being thrown around (other than our current understudy coaches) have this but I believe this would have to be a pre-requesite.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Here is a link to Pittman's bio--

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/V...DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=205824821&Q_SEASON=2013

He's a 27 yr journeyman. Interesting footnote--he played and started his coaching career at Fran's first coaching stop--Pittsburg State. In fact, it looks like from the yrs that he was there that they might have actually crossed paths....Wasn't Fran there in '83?
He was named a Top 25 recruiter and he has a strong resume. He may just be the man.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL
What about Sylvester Croom coming back to UA? I think he's the RB coach for the Titans but I always did like Croom and he was passionate about UA until he was spurned for Shula. I'd love to see Croom back in UA but I doubt it will happen though he was a great center for the Tide, he's primarily been a rb coach or lb coach.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'd like to think that Chris Samuels or Smiley are being groomed for the position. As good as Samuels was, his experience could pay off.

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk
I think Chris Samuels was a very good player, but can he be a good teacher of the techniques needed that will be developing the line into the players that we need. Sometimes/many times a great player does not make a great teacher.

However, I think Coach Saban would know.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
What about Sylvester Croom coming back to UA? I think he's the RB coach for the Titans but I always did like Croom and he was passionate about UA until he was spurned for Shula. I'd love to see Croom back in UA but I doubt it will happen though he was a great center for the Tide, he's primarily been a rb coach or lb coach.
I don't think he would take the job if we offered it to him. I don't think he has ever gotten over being snubbed when we hired Shula. Besides, I don't think many Bama fans would be to thrilled to see him join the staff after the way h handled himself towards us when he was at MSU. As great of a person as Sly is, it seems like he burned a lot of bridges back in the day.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Too much water over the dam...
Sly might not be on board with making other Alabama coaches look good.
IMO: He expressed too much bitterness over failing to become Alabama's Head Coach.

I say that with a heavy heart. I always thought I liked Sly.
BUT... I didn't like the Sly we saw moaning and complaining about Alabama. :(

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I hate to rain on the Pittman to Bama parade but why would he come here after just recently taking the Arky job and why would we want a guy that'd do that?

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
whoever, coach selects will be the best available. the bama off line has become as big as winning championships. it is a must to have a solid coach to provide the kind of work needed to work with our young stallions on the front they have created more press than any position, because they have created the holes that our great backs run through. our offense is in your face type and we need to continue that tradition.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I hate to rain on the Pittman to Bama parade but why would he come here after just recently taking the Arky job and why would we want a guy that'd do that?
The chance to coach for the best program in the country under the best coach in CFB would weigh pretty heavy on me, if I were in the position. The whole "why would we want a guy who would take a job after he recently took another job" argument is absurd to me, and it always has been. What if YOU took a job, and then two months later, a job making more money, more benefits, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, better job security became available? You'd take it in a minute, and if you didn't, I don't know what to say. Bielema is an unknown commodity in the SEC. If you come to work for Saban and do a good job, you will be able to work here a long time, unless you decide to leave on your own.

People forget all the time that this is these guy's jobs. It is foolish for a coach not to look out for his own interests, just like it is for everybody else. Just ask the recently fired Arkansas coaching staff...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
You're forgetting the business side of coaching and how contracts have provisions for early separation. Ultimately they are like the rest of us, they follow the career path that will most benefit themselves and their families. Given the opportunity, it's hard to imagine a coaching stint in Fayetteville being a better option than in Tuscaloosa right now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.