Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 118
  1. #40
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Posts
    8,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    I hate to rain on the Pittman to Bama parade but why would he come here after just recently taking the Arky job and why would we want a guy that'd do that?
    You're forgetting the business side of coaching and how contracts have provisions for early separation. Ultimately they are like the rest of us, they follow the career path that will most benefit themselves and their families. Given the opportunity, it's hard to imagine a coaching stint in Fayetteville being a better option than in Tuscaloosa right now.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; February 10th, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

  2. Advertisement
  3. #41
    BamaNation All-American Nolan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    3,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by bamagradinATL View Post
    Bucket Step Bob? No thanks.
    Just...kidding.

    Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    That kind of post could get you an avatar from the dark side around here
    Well, there's a first time for everything.
    ---------------------------------------


    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

    Robert Frost

  4. #42
    BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hueytown, Al
    Posts
    4,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    I hate to rain on the Pittman to Bama parade but why would he come here after just recently taking the Arky job and why would we want a guy that'd do that?
    That should be pretty self explanatory. Nick Saban's name as a reference goes a long way, a much longer way than, well, anyone in college coaching and many in the pros. working successfully with CNS can be a gateway to any job you want. Bielema doesnt have that kind of cache
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

  5. #43
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cullman, Al
    Posts
    3,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    The chance to coach for the best program in the country under the best coach in CFB would weigh pretty heavy on me, if I were in the position. The whole "why would we want a guy who would take a job after he recently took another job" argument is absurd to me, and it always has been. What if YOU took a job, and then two months later, a job making more money, more benefits, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, better job security became available? You'd take it in a minute, and if you didn't, I don't know what to say. Bielema is an unknown commodity in the SEC. If you come to work for Saban and do a good job, you will be able to work here a long time, unless you decide to leave on your own.

    People forget all the time that this is these guy's jobs. It is foolish for a coach not to look out for his own interests, just like it is for everybody else. Just ask the recently fired Arkansas coaching staff...
    What is absurd is not living up to a commitment. I realize it's a business but when you take a coaching job you commit to at least a year and it's not unreasonable to be expected to honor the contract. Why should we expect less from coaches than players?

  6. #44
    BamaNation All-American TiderJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    3,299
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    What is absurd is not living up to a commitment. I realize it's a business but when you take a coaching job you commit to at least a year and it's not unreasonable to be expected to honor the contract. Why should we expect less from coaches than players?
    I agree it is absurd but this has been going on in college and professional sports for for many years. It's not new and I believe even the recruits and players themselves realize this part of the business.

  7. #45
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    8,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    I think Chris Samuels was a very good player, but can he be a good teacher of the techniques needed that will be developing the line into the players that we need. Sometimes/many times a great player does not make a great teacher.

    However, I think Coach Saban would know.
    I agree. No disrespect to Samuels or Friend, but simply being an outstanding OL at Alabama would not necessarily make either of them what CNS wants in a OL coach. Some of the best coaches were not AA or even played for a major program, ie, CNS.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  8. #46
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Burbs of Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    What is absurd is not living up to a commitment. I realize it's a business but when you take a coaching job you commit to at least a year and it's not unreasonable to be expected to honor the contract. Why should we expect less from coaches than players?
    OK. In a perfect world, I understand your point. But we live in an imperfect world and have a situation that needs to be remedied. Beyond an objection to pursuing someone already under contract elsewhere, what's your recommended solution?

    I see a few options, none of which are good:
    - Hire somebody who doesn't currently have a job at all. At this time of the year, there's usually a reason for that.

    - Promote somebody already on staff. If Saban felt the best qualified person was already on the staff in a lesser role, I think he would have already done so. As other posters have already noted, having been a great player doesn't make you a great teacher and motivator.

    - Do without a dedicated OL coach until after next season when the coaching carousel turns again. In the meantime, shuffle duties among existing staff.

    If I've missed an alternative, I'm always up for education. If not, which of these undesirable solutions would you choose and why?
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

  9. #47
    BamaNation First Team JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    951
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Let's sit back and watch it unfold... We'll have a new assistant coach by end of the month.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

  10. #48
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cullman, Al
    Posts
    3,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    OK. In a perfect world, I understand your point. But we live in an imperfect world and have a situation that needs to be remedied. Beyond an objection to pursuing someone already under contract elsewhere, what's your recommended solution?

    I see a few options, none of which are good:
    - Hire somebody who doesn't currently have a job at all. At this time of the year, there's usually a reason for that.

    - Promote somebody already on staff. If Saban felt the best qualified person was already on the staff in a lesser role, I think he would have already done so. As other posters have already noted, having been a great player doesn't make you a great teacher and motivator.

    - Do without a dedicated OL coach until after next season when the coaching carousel turns again. In the meantime, shuffle duties among existing staff.

    If I've missed an alternative, I'm always up for education. If not, which of these undesirable solutions would you choose and why?
    I guess you completely missed my point. They guy just took the Arkansas job. I guess I'm in the minority by thinking he should at least coach a year there before moving on. I'm not at all saying we can't take a coach that has a job. Just maybe one who has an ounce of loyalty.

  11. #49
    BamaNation All-American TiderJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    3,299
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    I guess you completely missed my point. They guy just took the Arkansas job. I guess I'm in the minority by thinking he should at least coach a year there before moving on. I'm not at all saying we can't take a coach that has a job. Just maybe one who has an ounce of loyalty.
    Like Lame Kiffen did? I see your point but not a whole lot of difference in today's world. Again, not a new practice and loyalty does not mean a lot in the coaching business.

  12. #50
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cullman, Al
    Posts
    3,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    Like Lame Kiffen did? I see your point but not a whole lot of difference in today's world. Again, not a new practice and loyalty does not mean a lot in the coaching business.
    Lame also took a newly hired OL coach from the Titans which led to litigation. The same coach he recently fired btw. Things like that can lead to bad blood between organizations and coaches. If he is a great coach maybe he's worth it, maybe not.

  13. #51
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Burbs of Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    I guess you completely missed my point. They guy just took the Arkansas job. I guess I'm in the minority by thinking he should at least coach a year there before moving on. I'm not at all saying we can't take a coach that has a job. Just maybe one who has an ounce of loyalty.
    You're right. I did miss your point, but I see now....there's no problem going after someone under contract, so long as it's not a recently-executed one.

    That makes all the moral difference on the world, and somehow I failed to draw that distinction. I have no idea how that could have happened.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; February 10th, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

  14. #52
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cullman, Al
    Posts
    3,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    You're right. I did miss your point, but I see now....there's no problem going after someone under contract, so long as its not a recently-executed one.

    That makes all the moral difference on the world, and somehow I failed to draw that distinction. I have no idea how that could have happened.
    I guess from your point of view anything goes. Lets agree to disagree. I'm done.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!