Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Offensive Line Assistant coaches

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    I guess from your point of view anything goes. Lets agree to disagree. I'm done.
    Before you get "done", please answer my question. If you got a new job, and two months later you got a job offer making more money, more benefits, and better job security, would you take it? Would you miss out on the opportunity, or would you stay at a lesser job in the name of loyalty? I'm curious to hear your response, especially if you say "no".

I'd hate to tell my wife and kids in 3 or 4 years (possibly) when I'm fired that I sure wish I had taken the better job. Football coaches are held to a golden standard of loyalty, but they get fired at the drop of the hat if they don't win football games.

In almost any other profession in the world, this would look like sound career move.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    Before you get "done", please answer my question. If you got a new job, and two months later you got a job offer making more money, more benefits, and better job security, would you take it? Would you miss out on the opportunity, or would you stay at a lesser job in the name of loyalty? I'm curious to hear your response, especially if you say "no".

I'd hate to tell my wife and kids in 3 or 4 years (possibly) when I'm fired that I sure wish I had taken the better job. Football coaches are held to a golden standard of loyalty, but they get fired at the drop of the hat if they don't win football games.

In almost any other profession in the world, this would look like sound career move.
    Yeah I would agree, but in this case it seems that he is trading more job stability for less job stability. Which had you rather do? Earn $300k for 10 years for $500k for 4years? Especially if you are a OL coach where it is not the ideal path to OC.

I just dont understand some of these assistant coaches sometimes. I could more understand Stoutland making the move to the NFL if he was going to work for a proven head coach. But I think we can all agree that Kelly and his tendencies are a total crapshoot at this point in the NFL. He is a bigger risk than Spurrier was when he went into the league. I predict Kelly wont last 3 years in the NFL - I dont think he has the leadership personality for it.

Same with Sunseri, I am sure he thought he was a DC in the making but why in the world do you jump on a sinking ship at UT just for the chance to be a DC?

Likewise with McIlwain, I know probably thought his window for HC jobs was closing but dont think a guy who choreographed 3 NC winning offenses would have better opportunities than Colorado State? He very well could have had the Kentucky job if he had hung around or even the La Tech job which is better than CSU as a stepping stone to bigger programs.

The only one who I think made a sound decision considering the circumstances is Pruitt. However, I question the leap in responsibility and whether that will workout. His rise rivals that of Applewhite's to OC and we know how that worked out.

It really seems that for most of these guys their decision to move is based on how big of a paycheck can I get right now rather than developing a pedigree for producing consistent winners.
    Last edited by JDCrimson; February 10th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    Yeah I would agree, but in this case it seems that he is trading more job stability for less job stability. Which had you rather do? Earn $300k for 10 years for $500k for 4years? Especially if you are a OL coach where it is not the ideal path to OC.

I just dont understand some of these assistant coaches sometimes. I could more understand Stoutland making the move to the NFL if he was going to work for a proven head coach. But I think we can all agree that Kelly and his tendencies are a total crapshoot at this point in the NFL. He is a bigger risk than Spurrier was when he went into the league. I predict Kelly wont last 3 years in the NFL - I dont think he has the leadership personality for it.

Same with Sunseri, I am sure he thought he was a DC in the making but why in the world do you jump on a sinking ship at UT just for the chance to be a DC?

Likewise with McIlwain, I know probably thought his window for HC jobs was closing but dont think a guy who choreographed 3 NC winning offenses would have better opportunities than Colorado State? He very well could have had the Kentucky job if he had hung around or even the La Tech job which is better than CSU as a stepping stone to bigger programs.

The only one who I think made a sound decision considering the circumstances is Pruitt. However, I question the leap in responsibility and whether that will workout. His rise rivals that of Applewhite's to OC and we know how that worked out.

It really seems that for most of these guys their decision to move is based on how big of a paycheck can I get right now rather than developing a pedigree for producing consistent winners.
    I'm not talking about Stoutland. I'm talking about the possibly of CNS hiring Sam Pittman, Arky's OL coach. He was just hired by Bielema a few months ago, but there are rumors than CNS may be interested in him.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

Given this tweet, I would guess that Pittman is not likely:

@BretBielema: Can't say THANK YOU enough to UA administration & support to keep our staff together when others call
    It does bear mentioning, though, that Oklahoma is looking for an O-line coach as well.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TLIT View Post
    Given this tweet, I would guess that Pittman is not likely:

It does bear mentioning, though, that Oklahoma is looking for an O-line coach as well.
    I heard the OU o-line coach resigned today and some speculating it could possibly be to take the Bama job. Has anyone else heard this and who is the OU coach?

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    I heard the OU o-line coach resigned today and some speculating it could possibly be to take the Bama job. Has anyone else heard this and who is the OU coach?
    Looks like Patton left Oklahoma to go to Indiana??

I was just curious as to who everyone would like to see as our new OL coach? I know they might not necessarily be the right fit but just wondering if people in the know could put some names out there. A few teams come to mind when I think about OL studded teams. Stanford and Wisconsin as well as Iowa seems to put a lot of OL in the NFL. Regardless "The Process" shall continue. Roll Tide!

How about the former head coach at Fresno State? Always seemed like a great coach.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    How about the former head coach at Fresno State? Always seemed like a great coach.
    I'm not sure the BDS could handle the awesomeness of CNS and Pat Hill's moustache roaming the sidelines at the same time!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamahippie View Post
    Looks like Patton left Oklahoma to go to Indiana??
    Indiana's head coach is Oklahoma's former OC from about 2 or 3 seasons ago. Probably why.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Suspended

Rumor out of Atlanta is that Pat Hill is the guy. Would LOVE that hire.

BamaNation First Team tidefan26's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    Coached together in Cleveland IIRC. CNS and PH.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Sic semper tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    Confirmed?
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*