2014 Prospects

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I am a big fan of LF's teammate Jermaine Roberts. His highlight tape is pretty impressive IMO. He looks like a special player.
Roberts didn't make it either to Tuscaloosa . He will be back with his mother which is a good sign. Fournette had a track meet. According to BOL, LF is really looking forward to meeting with the Bama staff. Transportation is an issue with LF along with scheduled track meets.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
I'm surprised we only have one commitment at this stage, given the number of NCs and first round NFL draft picks we've had over the past few years.

However, it appeared we didn't have room down the stretch for a few four and five star players in the 2013 class. We had a number of really good players begging for spots late in the process.

Does anyone know if we are going to take fewer commitments early this year? Or, do we have a few silent commitments right now? It seems quieter than I expected, but I guess we have a junior day coming next weekend.

RTRCharlotte

Scout Team
Jul 26, 2010
I think to slow start we have is due to the depth at a number of positions, and the tremendous turnover in coaches. Cristobal sure is aggressive and I wouldn't doubt that we will possibly have the best OL class ever recruited. Have not heard much from Brown though. Secondary is a 2014 need.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I'm surprised we only have one commitment at this stage, given the number of NCs and first round NFL draft picks we've had over the past few years.

However, it appeared we didn't have room down the stretch for a few four and five star players in the 2013 class. We had a number of really good players begging for spots late in the process.

Does anyone know if we are going to take fewer commitments early this year? Or, do we have a few silent commitments right now? It seems quieter than I expected, but I guess we have a junior day coming next weekend.
as mentioned before from reliable posters on this board and other sources, Bama will not take any commitments at this point unless its a really big fish which is unlikely at this point of the year. most of the top propects are milking the recruiting process as well they should be. its mostly evaluation time by the staff. Bama will be very selective who they take in 2014. it has nothing to do with winning NCs and the NFL pipeline. don't get me wrong, all those great factors will play a huge part in gathering a great class once again under CNS and staff.

as far as silent commits, who really knows?? IMO, I rather have these young impressionable young men take their sweet time before committing to Bama or any school for that matter. the word committment doesn't have the same meaning these days anyways. :rolleye2:

RTRCharlotte

Scout Team
Jul 26, 2010
as mentioned before from reliable posters on this board and other sources, Bama will not take any commitments at this point unless its a really big fish which is unlikely at this point of the year. most of the top propects are milking the recruiting process as well they should be. its mostly evaluation time by the staff. Bama will be very selective who they take in 2014. it has nothing to do with winning NCs and the NFL pipeline. don't get me wrong, all those great factors will play a huge part in gathering a great class once again under CNS and staff.

as far as silent commits, who really knows?? IMO, I rather have these young impressionable young men take their sweet time before committing to Bama or any school for that matter. the word committment doesn't have the same meaning these days anyways. :rolleye2:
I don't understand; if CNS extends an offer to a kid, he hasn't got a right to cash it in? Does the offer have a date on when it will become effective?

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL
I read on rivals that Lorenzo Carter prefers a 3-4 defense which is refreshing to hear a DE that prefers a 3-4 based on the freedom a DE gets in the system. I know he would possibly be a Jack LB in UA's system but his frame looks like he could add 30lbs and not lose anything in speed. He's definitely one of the most impactful prospects that I've seen this class and hope UA can land him. Should be coming this weekend too.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I don't understand; if CNS extends an offer to a kid, he hasn't got a right to cash it in? Does the offer have a date on when it will become effective?
At this point, offers are little more than an expression of interest. There is also a strict hierarchy: Only a very short list of names can commit this early and have them accepted. CNS controls that flow.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I read on rivals that Lorenzo Carter prefers a 3-4 defense which is refreshing to hear a DE that prefers a 3-4 based on the freedom a DE gets in the system. I know he would possibly be a Jack LB in UA's system but his frame looks like he could add 30lbs and not lose anything in speed. He's definitely one of the most impactful prospects that I've seen this class and hope UA can land him. Should be coming this weekend too.
Forgot which recruiting guy said it, but one tweeted Carter looks similar to Hubbard in high school.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Don't be concerned by the relative lack of commitments at this juncture. Truth of the matter is that if you have more than a couple of commitments at this point, you are probably cutting corners on prospect evaluation.

With the reduced scholarship limitations, there is no real reason not to bide your time and do your due diligence on player evaluation. Besides, not like most kids are all of that interested in committing this early, and in any event non-binding verbal commitments are pretty much meaningless eleven months before Signing Day.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I am a little surprised we don't have a few more commits also. At this time last year, we had commits from 6 players (G. Hill, OJ Howard, Reuben Foster (before he left for the dark side), A. Stewart, A. Tenpenny, R. Falkins). I am not worried in the least but we do usually have more commits at this time.

I'm sure there have been several who wanted to commit but did not have an unconditional offer. They will start coming soon.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Step back, stop and think about what Jam and Airborne are saying. SELECTIVE. Think about the level at which we are recruiting here lately and think about exactly what SELECTIVE means. It means the guys out there aren't quite who they want. SCARY

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Step back, stop and think about what Jam and Airborne are saying. SELECTIVE. Think about the level at which we are recruiting here lately and think about exactly what SELECTIVE means. It means the guys out there aren't quite who they want. SCARY
Exactly. Look at how this past class ended. Bama reportedly turned away some top talent. After winning the last two and three of the last four, Bama is going to be more popular than it has been before in the eyes of high school seniors.

BET is right about the evaluation period, too. With how selective the staff is going to be, the evaluation period just went up a few more notches.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
The numbers were tight in the 2013 class and are still being managed. It is also being suggested that Coach Saban is pushing more for kids to "actually be committed" and to "make sure of their commitment". Couple that with the fact that Alabama's success has allowed for the staff to be very selective moving forward, and you see what seems like a "slower" start to the 2014 cycle. Things will begin to pick up during the spring.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012

That's what I'm talking about! Welcome aboard Bessent!!! Roll Tide!

LOCK DOWN CORNER

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
CMC is going to be one of the top recruiters in the country this year.

It helps to have the Alabama brand to sell, but he is going to be an absolute monster, particularly if we want some players down in South Florida.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.