Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2014 Biggest Recruiting Needs

Our roster is as stacked as any program in recent memory. So, I'm sure we'll sign a bunch of players across the board. I think we'll have more seniors this year and the usual early entrants to the NFL, so I think we'll sign 25 again.

In the 2013 class, it looks like we missed down the stretch on a pure OT and safety, so I expect that will be a position we'll target. Also, we have missed on elite OT's since Fluker and Kouandjio. So, I think elite OT's will be a high priority and the OL in general. I also think we will look for a few more lock down corners (Humphrey as one). What do you think the breakdown will look like and what will be our highest priority?

QB -1
    RB - 2
    TE - 2
    WR - 2
    OG - 3
    OT - 3

DT - 1
    DE - 2
    OLB - 2
    MLB -2
    CB -3
    S -2

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Re: 2014 Biggest Recruiting Needs

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Webb View Post
    Our roster is as stacked as any program in recent memory. So, I'm sure we'll sign a bunch of players across the board. I think we'll have more seniors this year and the usual early entrants to the NFL, so I think we'll sign 25 again.

In the 2013 class, it looks like we missed down the stretch on a pure OT and safety, so I expect that will be a position we'll target. Also, we have missed on elite OT's since Fluker and Kouandjio. So, I think elite OT's will be a high priority and the OL in general. I also think we will look for a few more lock down corners (Humphrey as one). What do you think the breakdown will look like and what will be our highest priority?

QB -1
    RB - 2
    TE - 2
    WR - 2
    OG - 3
    OT - 3

DT - 1
    DE - 2
    OLB - 2
    MLB -2
    CB -3
    S -2

I dunno if we will take 6 offensive linemen, as much as I think it is a need (I would like to take that many). I could see 4, and that just depends on how they grade out in CNS evaluations. I think we take 3 RB's, as we already have Bo, and we are after Racean Thomas and Leonard Fournette hard. I think we'll take more defensive lineman, as it will always be a need with the scheme we run. We rotate more than any other team in the country. Also, our secondary class should be large (as stated). It's still a bit early to tell. I think we'll have a better idea after Spring practice. At my count, and I am making presumptions obviously (which I will do for sake of this), we have 15 scholarship Seniors this year. Add in 3-5 early entrants and the normal attrition (medical/transfers/etc...), and I could see how we take a full class....though I wouldn't find taking a small class predicated at filling our biggest needs. Numbers get harder and harder every year, and at some point you have to balance things out I would assume....

O-line (specifically OT) is top priority IMO. TE and DB are next. We'll always want depth at every position, but those 3 areas are where I see us taking more than a "normal" class. I see only one or two runnings backs (and I doubt Bo is considered a RB when all is said and done). Racean is probably ours and that may be it.

BamaNation Second Team
    My Mood
    Nerdy on TideFans.com

I think that the positions that need attention are LT, TE, and safety.

Left tackles are hard to find. Get them when you can. Same with shutdown corners.

BamaNation First Team wileybb22's Avatar
    My Mood
    Stressed on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    Left tackles are hard to find. Get them when you can. Same with shutdown corners.
    No doubt we will have a need for pure left tackles. Looking at the top listed in the recruiting sites the best are spread out across the country again.

Hard to believe we would pull in more than 2 backs with the guys coming in with this class.

linemen,linemen,and more linemen!
    "Every picture tells a story,don't it"

Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after this season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Richardson said.

"The university of awebarn!" CNS, 03-06-10

The University of Alabama........keeping the trophy industry busy since 1924! RTR!!!

"I'm just too damn old to start over somewhere else"! CNS 09.19.13

CB and OT are fairly critical, then safety, WR and DL. We lose a lot of receivers over the next 2 years.

My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

We will also need a punter, to a lesser extent a backup center, and a blocking TE
    Ya gotta believe!!!!

Long way until we can really get a sufficient view of what the 2014 roster may look like, but at this early juncture I would expect the emphasis to be on OT, DB (particularly CB), and DL.

I think with Perry and potentially HaHa leaving Safety will be a priority as well as DL and OL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderollin32 View Post
    I think with Perry and potentially HaHa leaving Safety will be a priority as well as DL and OL.
    Barring a major breakout year, I don't think we have to worry too much about Clinton-Dix leaving early. Besides, safety isn't exactly one of the major money positions in the NFL. It's not crazy to be the top safety prospect in the Draft and still not end up in the first round.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderollin32 View Post
    Safeties eligible to leave after the 2013 season:

Jarrick Williams - Senior (most likely a RS Jr because of the possible RS to his injury this year)
    Nick Perry - Senior
    Haha - Junior
    Vinnie - Junior

You're correct. Bama is going to need to get a few Safeties in 2014.

Disclaimer: Not saying either Haha or Vinnie go pro. Just saying they are eligible to go.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!