Shane Youngblood Tweets a Good Question About Future Bama Recruiting

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
RedStar gives great information with those lists. The state of Mississippi is different from every other state. Most often the top talent busts while the lower tier players are the ones that have a solid NFL career.

In response to several posts about Youngblood questioning CNS: I don't think he is. I think he's just asking if Bama would benefit from looking elsewhere when getting a top player out of SPHS seems more difficult than finding Gene Chizik's teeth. Yes, Bama's presence in SP causes Ole Miss and/or MSU to work harder to get those recruits, but is that what Alabama should be doing? Should Alabama really recruit a place just to make Ole Miss and MSU - two middle of the pack SEC teams - work harder?

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Oh, what a fruitful debate. NOT. Did CNS use up some cycles recruiting kids from MS since he's been here (and while at LSU)? Oh, he did? Welp, that's enough for me. Until everyone starts hiring Nostradamuses to their recruiting support staffs, the "7 years ago" lists are meaningless. We didn't even get and in many cases, try to get, some of those guys, so what is the point in bringing all that up? CNS recuits who he wants, and that seems to be doing OK (3 NCs in 4 years). Wait a minute, am I missing something?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I think I've made my opinion on recruiting in the State of Mississippi well known on numerous occasions over the years, so I'm not going to reiterate all of that here.

Now, in terms of ROI on recruiting South Panola under Saban, we are slightly underwater on the whole. We've recruited a handful of kids out of there, but ultimately only signed one -- Jeramie Griffin, who came to Alabama after some academic concerns and the dismissal of Ed Orgeron put his spot at Ole Miss in jeopardy. Griffin played about 15 snaps in garbage time at 'Bama, took a medical scholarship, and was last heard partially bad-mouthing Saban in the Wall Street Journal. Aside from Griffin, it has all been whiffs for us at South Panola, with a few of those whiffs being highly fortunate on our end (Brassell, in particular).

Truth of the matter is that South Panola hasn't turned out a quality SEC caliber football player since John Jerry, who I believe came out in either 2004 or 2005. It's really no different than several other nationally-known programs, in that consistent greatness on Friday nights does not necessarily consistently produce quality players come Saturday afternoon.

All of that said, however, I do think Youngblood is misplaced in his criticism here. Yes we've wasted a bit recruiting that program over the years, but really what have we lost? The opportunity cost has been practically zero, and obviously it has not hindered our recruiting efforts anywhere else. And, quite frankly, how many kids have we really recruited out of South Panola in recent memory? Obviously we went after Conner and Brassell, but that is largely the extent of it. We kind of had some preliminary efforts at kids like Barksdale and Strong, but it's not like we've spent any significant recruiting capital trying to gain access to the place. Even Griffin was largely a throw-a-way signee that developed very late in the process in 2007-8. I think it's largely a non-issue.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Oh, what a fruitful debate. NOT. Did CNS use up some cycles recruiting kids from MS since he's been here (and while at LSU)? Oh, he did? Welp, that's enough for me. Until everyone starts hiring Nostradamuses to their recruiting support staffs, the "7 years ago" lists are meaningless. We didn't even get and in many cases, try to get, some of those guys, so what is the point in bringing all that up? CNS recuits who he wants, and that seems to be doing OK (3 NCs in 4 years). Wait a minute, am I missing something?
What's the point? This is a message board. The entire point of a message board is to discuss things. What am I missing?

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
You're missing that it is a dead horse topic, no matter how valid you guys think it is. DEAD HORSEY. No more beating the poor thing, please. Your opinions on the matter have been stated ad nauseam. It's like some people have it set up for an alert to go off if the phrase "Mississippi recruit" hits TideFans. And in swoops the comments such as we see in this thread. Does this type of info help our ability to recruit Mississippi kids? Does it? We can all drag out statistics to make certain points, so who cares? I certainly don't want to play a part in hindering our ability to recruit a certain place, saying it's a waste, that's for sure. And Coach Saban certainly doesn't seem to think it's a waste. So I'm just curious as to why some folks like to pound away at this poor, poor dead horse. For the life of me....

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009
At this point if an elite recruit were climbing Mt. Everest, I'd expect Nick Saban to be at the summit waiting on him. He is going to be where the best players are, whether it's in South Panola or Timbuktu. Saban is not a quitter and he's not going to give up because someone is at a certain HS. That said, the staff obviously prioritizes more time in certain areas but to suggest one school should be blacklisted or whatever is foolish.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Offseason always sees dead horse threads. They don't get much deader than white helmets and uniform changes. What makes this topic a bit different is that the SP incident is taking place against the backdrop of a possible developing recruiting scandal. This is just one little piece of the puzzle...

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I think I've made my opinion on recruiting in the State of Mississippi well known on numerous occasions over the years, so I'm not going to reiterate all of that here.

Now, in terms of ROI on recruiting South Panola under Saban, we are slightly underwater on the whole. We've recruited a handful of kids out of there, but ultimately only signed one -- Jeramie Griffin, who came to Alabama after some academic concerns and the dismissal of Ed Orgeron put his spot at Ole Miss in jeopardy. Griffin played about 15 snaps in garbage time at 'Bama, took a medical scholarship, and was last heard partially bad-mouthing Saban in the Wall Street Journal. Aside from Griffin, it has all been whiffs for us at South Panola, with a few of those whiffs being highly fortunate on our end (Brassell, in particular).

Truth of the matter is that South Panola hasn't turned out a quality SEC caliber football player since John Jerry, who I believe came out in either 2004 or 2005. It's really no different than several other nationally-known programs, in that consistent greatness on Friday nights does not necessarily consistently produce quality players come Saturday afternoon.

All of that said, however, I do think Youngblood is misplaced in his criticism here. Yes we've wasted a bit recruiting that program over the years, but really what have we lost? The opportunity cost has been practically zero, and obviously it has not hindered our recruiting efforts anywhere else. And, quite frankly, how many kids have we really recruited out of South Panola in recent memory? Obviously we went after Conner and Brassell, but that is largely the extent of it. We kind of had some preliminary efforts at kids like Barksdale and Strong, but it's not like we've spent any significant recruiting capital trying to gain access to the place. Even Griffin was largely a throw-a-way signee that developed very late in the process in 2007-8. I think it's largely a non-issue.
If kids starting in the SEC as freshmen (Gross, Brassell, he'll be back at Ole Miss after JUCO) is not quality SEC caliber, what is? They produce some outstanding football players.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
The rumor at Batesville is that parents find jobs when their kids sign with Ole Miss. Don't know if it is true. If so, I'm not sure it's that much different from anywhere else.
Should Alabama give up on the Monroe, LA area? Not a lot of luck around there. Did get Bell from Rayville a few years ago.
I hate to break it to the Mississippi haters, but Alabama is looking at a few kids from Mississippi again. It would be a shame to find some more Steens and Norwoods, wouldn't it?

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
The rumor at Batesville is that parents find jobs when their kids sign with Ole Miss. Don't know if it is true. If so, I'm not sure it's that much different from anywhere else.
Should Alabama give up on the Monroe, LA area? Not a lot of luck around there. Did get Bell from Rayville a few years ago.
I hate to break it to the Mississippi haters, but Alabama is looking at a few kids from Mississippi again. It would be a shame to find some more Steens and Norwoods, wouldn't it?
There are no Mississippi haters. The two you claim are haters (me and RTR91) are FROM Mississippi. Why is it so hard to get this point across. The top talent doesn't pan out. It just doesn't. The results & statistics back it up.

Mississippi has tons and tons of NFL talent. It's something I'm extremely proud of. We're the tiny state that keeps on churning out big time talent. But it's not from the top tier recruits. I don't understand whats so controversial about that statement.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
You're way too sensitive on this issue.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Not a MS hater by any means, but RS is correct. When you factor in academic casualties, those who choose to leave the UA program, and those who simply don't reach their full potential, MS is going to lead the list if you go back the past ten years. I'm not sure where the reasons lie for this trend, but it's there.

There are no Mississippi haters. The two you claim are haters (me and RTR91) are FROM Mississippi. Why is it so hard to get this point across. The top talent doesn't pan out. It just doesn't. The results & statistics back it up.

Mississippi has tons and tons of NFL talent. It's something I'm extremely proud of. We're the tiny state that keeps on churning out big time talent. But it's not from the top tier recruits. I don't understand whats so controversial about that statement.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Not a MS hater by any means, but RS is correct. When you factor in academic casualties, those who choose to leave the UA program, and those who simply don't reach their full potential, MS is going to lead the list if you go back the past ten years. I'm not sure where the reasons lie for this trend, but it's there.[/QUOTE]

I've thought the same for years. Plenty of other fish in the sea.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If that were all is was, it would be a non-story. That happens everywhere, including Bama, and it's not even an NCAA violation (yet). No, a lot of money is being spread around. I've always felt that the schools which really got into bad trouble or repeated trouble were those that were spreading money too broadly were the ones who got axed. My information is that OM is paying for novel things that no one else ever thought of paying for, and to a lot of kids. The more that happens, the more the opportunity for kids to talk. The main question here is whether or not the NCAA is completely emasculated by the Miami foul-up. It would appear that OM thinks they can get away with anything...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If kids starting in the SEC as freshmen (Gross, Brassell, he'll be back at Ole Miss after JUCO) is not quality SEC caliber, what is? They produce some outstanding football players.
Nick Brassell doesn't help your argument. He left Ole Miss because he couldn't make the grades, so he went to JUCO to get the grades he needed. He falls under what RedStar, Rich, and I are trying to say.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

Why you gotta cause problems? You probably think that Ole Miss isn't throwing dumptrucks full of cash at kids, too. Get with the program.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

So THAT'S why you guys aren't panning out!!! :biggrin2: :p ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.