Shane Youngblood Tweets a Good Question About Future Bama Recruiting

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I think this is one of the better threads on the board. I must have missed some of the other discussions on the quality of Mississippi recruits. I guess evaluation is extra important.

I will say this about Mississippi. Don't speed through Newton County with an AL license plate.:(

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Nick Brassell doesn't help your argument. He left Ole Miss because he couldn't make the grades, so he went to JUCO to get the grades he needed. He falls under what RedStar, Rich, and I are trying to say.
Brassell will be right back starting again. JUCOs have been known to help a lot of teams.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Brassell will be right back starting again. JUCOs have been known to help a lot of teams.
You completely missed my point. He flunked out of Ole Miss otherwise he would be entering year #3 in Oxford. He's the poster child of what RedStar and I am referencing.

chalkpit

Suspended
May 31, 2012
Since I live in mississippi, I would have to say drop recruiting north of I20, excluding the jackson metro area. Recruiting practices are no different in this part of the state than it is in memphis. Its not worth the risk imo.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Since I live in mississippi, I would have to say drop recruiting north of I20, excluding the jackson metro area. Recruiting practices are no different in this part of the state than it is in memphis. Its not worth the risk imo.
So you don't sign Steen?

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
You completely missed my point. He flunked out of Ole Miss otherwise he would be entering year #3 in Oxford. He's the poster child of what RedStar and I am referencing.
He will be entering year three at Ole Miss and will start at CB.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He will be entering year three at Ole Miss and will start at CB.
He's entering his third year of college. One year at Ole Miss before flunking out, which led to him spending one year in JUCO. He's now back at Ole Miss.

That fits the model of MS players, too. Zo Lawerence and Rod Woodson weren't on campus more than 3 semesters before leaving and going to JUCO.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So you don't sign Steen?
Did you even read his post? He said the recruiting practices are comparable to Memphis.

In regards to Steen, we need to consider his schooling. Did he go to a Mississippi public schoool? Nope. He went to a private school, which now charges over $5,000 a year for one child in high school. Would tend to believe that education has helped him not flunk out like so many other Mississippi recruits.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Everything immediately south of Memphis is a cesspool. Olive Branch, Southaven, Hernando, etc... They're all under investigation for illegally recruiting kids from Memphis. It's just a dirty, dirty area for HS athletics.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I believe that Coach SAban will continue recruiting in Mississippi, but I also believe that theres probably a little more scrutiny being placed on the players they recruit from that area as well.

Saban seems to have a good handle on things, and If he thinks a player can help the team, then he'll recruit them. But, he probably also includes a little more of a screening before he does so for higher risk students/players.

Great thread on a tough subject.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I had some time on my hands this morning. So I did another former top 10 list.

1. Deljuan Robinson - 5 star: Never was much of a factor. Signed as an undrafted FA by the Texans in 2007. Spent 3 season in the NFL as a backup before being cut in 2010.
2. Quinton Culberson - 5 star: First Team All-SEC (2006) before his career took a nosedive. Signed as an undrafted FA by the Rams where he was a backup for 2 seasons before being waived. Currently plays for the Edmonton Eskimos in the CFL.
3. Sean Merrill - 4 star: Signed with LSU, transferred to GCCC, transferred to MSU, transferred to Southern Miss. Never made any sort of impact anywhere.
4. Marquis McBeath - 4 star: Signed with Ole Miss, transferred to Pearl River CC, transferred to La Tech. Never made any sort of impact anywhere.
5. Tim Duckworth - 4 star: 2 time All-SEC with Auburn. Signed as an undrafted FA by the Broncos before being waived later that month. Currently plays for the Las Vegas Locomotives of the UFL
6. Quentin Groves - 4 star: First team All-SEC in 2006. 2nd round draft pick by the Jaguars, but his NFL contribution has been minimal. Averages 28 tackles per season.
7. Omarr Conner - 4 star: Awful QB for MSU. Last seen walking off the field after an Egg Bowl loss.
8. Donovan Davis - 4 star: Never contributed much to MSU, last seen walking off the field after an Egg Bowl loss.
9. Will Arnold - 4 star: Had 1 decent year at LG before getting lost on the depth chart. Last seen walking off the field after an LSU game. Never made an NFL roster.
10. Quinton McCrary - 4 star: Played a few meaningful snaps at Memphis. Last seen walking off the field after a Memphis game. Never made an NFL roster.

So far, of the 3 classes examined. 2003 has proven to be the best, but even that's not saying much. Quentin Groves is the only NFL player among the bunch, and he's been a nominal backup so far.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Look, I agree that this is all very compelling information. I am simply questioning the wisdom of displaying this information (and more importantly, opinions on said information) for the whole world to see. Kids that log onto TideFans and read the threads that keep popping on Mississippi recruits and school situations...how is this helping Bama recruiting? How? When they read this, what do they think that we think of them? As fans, how is this a fruitful exercise for Alabama football? Still haven't got an answer from when I was trying to get at that earlier. It's the typical "Because it's a message board. Free speech. Duh." I guess I was hoping for something better than that...

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Look, I agree that this is all very compelling information. I am simply questioning the wisdom of displaying this information (and more importantly, opinions on said information) for the whole world to see. Kids that log onto TideFans and read the threads that keep popping on Mississippi recruits and school situations...how is this helping Bama recruiting? How? When they read this, what do they think that we think of them? As fans, how is this a fruitful exercise for Alabama football? Still haven't got an answer from when I was trying to get at that earlier. It's the typical "Because it's a message board. Free speech. Duh." I guess I was hoping for something better than that...
A couple of things.

If a kid from Mississippi chooses not to attend the University of Alabama because of a message board breakdown I wrote based on Rivals.com ratings, well... I'm not sure that's the kind of kid we'd want on our team anyway.

As to why are we talking about it? It's an interesting study, as evidence by the 6 pages (and counting) that this thread has been going on for. Shane Youngblood tweeted out the question, and I've seen it asked elsewhere. CNS doesn't need my advice, or anyone else's, but that's not going to stop us from discussing things. The best thing about Tidefans is the intelligent discussion that takes place here on a pretty regular basis. To be fair, sometimes it seems like we've had to wade through more nonsense than we use to, but I've yet to find another forum with the level of IQ I find on this one. I find this to be an interesting topic, and that's why I continue to discuss it. Mississippi seems to be an anomaly among other southern states. They put out just as much talent, if not more, but it's typically from guys who have gone overlooked by the big schools & recruiting services. Their top guys fail at an epic rate, and I find that fascinating.

I know I don't know everything about recruiting, and I don't pretend to. I hope I don't come off that way. To be honest, if CNS came to me for recruiting advice, I'd be a little disappointed.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
He's entering his third year of college. One year at Ole Miss before flunking out, which led to him spending one year in JUCO. He's now back at Ole Miss.
Couple of clarifications here:

Brassell enrolled at Ole Miss, was suspended within three months by Houston Nutt, was temporarily deemed ineligible by the OM compliance department while investigating the use of his likeness to promote a party, was later declared academically ineligible, and after leaving school he was arrested last summer.

Now he's back in Oxford. Can he stay out of jail and academically eligible? We'll see.

Did you even read his post? He said the recruiting practices are comparable to Memphis.

In regards to Steen, we need to consider his schooling. Did he go to a Mississippi public schoool? Nope. He went to a private school, which now charges over $5,000 a year for one child in high school. Would tend to believe that education has helped him not flunk out like so many other Mississippi recruits.
Steen went to a private school, and he had a lot of academic problems in his own right. Those who follow closely will remember that when he first took the ACT he made only a 15, and that made several schools pull back from him, including us. It wasn't until he rectified that score that we went back and got him.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Hopefully if anything the kids that read this, especially RedStar's breakdown, will do what they need to do in the classroom.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
The blood lines that produced Jerry Rice, Walter Peyton , Brett Favre, and Steve McNair are still in Mississippi. Not wise to give up just yet. Do you give up on the Florida panhandle after the last couple of days?

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
The blood lines that produced Jerry Rice, Walter Peyton , Brett Favre, and Steve McNair are still in Mississippi. Not wise to give up just yet. Do you give up on the Florida panhandle after the last couple of days?
Sure but you have to give up Alabama too because that's where Hayes and Calloway are from. I'm assuming that's what you're referring to.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Right, so you don't give up big areas near you. You check grades and watch film and try to get the next Jerry Rice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.