News Article: Good article on Tenpenny

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
And that’s the problem. A program perpetually flirting with contender status needs bigger, faster and better players to finally break through to the top and become a perennial power. Yet those players, like Tenpenny, are already going to programs that broke through long ago. For schools like Arkansas, it’s a Catch-22 that somehow, some way, must be solved one flip at a time.
It appears, however, it will not begin with the flipping of North Little Rock’s #22, Altee Tenpenny. On Wednesday morning, Feb. 6, he announced he would honor his earlier commitment and signed a letter of intent to play football for Alabama.
Sense of failure and dejection? Check.
Resigned to the fact that you can't beat Alabama at anything? Check.

Attachments

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Long article, but worth the read. Sounds like Bama has picked up another solid kid with good family support. Liked this excerpt concerning his Mom's perspective on recruiting:

"His mother does not suffer fools. She is looking for a head coach who will treat Altee “not like a product, but as a person,” she said. The coach, she said, needs to “meet the demands of the total person, not just football. Football is his extra,” and “If you come to me with football first, that kind of deters me because that’s not what I’m sending him there for. That’s what got him there, but my thing is his education. I want him to come out with a degree because there needs to be a Plan B.”

I think Mama got her wish......Roll Tide!

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
The following redacted excerpt explains, I think, why the "excess of running back scholarships" is nothing of the sort. CNS understands the desired outcome and recruits accordingly, to the benefit of both the team and the individual. Genius is the art of reducing the complicated to the simple. CNS has done this with running back recruiting.

"The potent running game that has led Alabama to three of the last four national championships operates on a simple premise: NFL running backs tend to have short shelf lives...Mileage saved on the body in college can result in a potentially longer pro career and more money down the line, and Alabama coaches use the argument to convince superstar prep tailbacks that sitting on the pine for a season or two is actually in their best interest...Most ‘Bama backs qualify as a "low-mileage back,” a term Sports Illustrated’s Andy Staples noted has crept into NFL draftniks' vocabulary. “It's not an insult,” wrote Staples. “It means a back has taken fewer hits at lower levels and therefore might have a longer career in the NFL.”

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Yes quite good and long. Liked this quote "According to Tenpenny, Bielema and Thomas never mentioned Alabama. Instead, they emphasized the same Arkansas selling points they’d made before." That I can respect hope he sticks to that.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I read it to the bitter end, but I almost bailed when I was referred to as an "Alabaman".

Here's another interesting observation from the writer:

...what has historically separated Arkansas from SEC powerhouse programs isn’t so much a lack of offensive playmakers as a lack of dominant linemen – especially on defense.

Lil Bama Lady

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 31, 2006
Heflin, Alabama, United States
Long article, but worth the read. Sounds like Bama has picked up another solid kid with good family support. Liked this excerpt concerning his Mom's perspective on recruiting:

"His mother does not suffer fools. She is looking for a head coach who will treat Altee “not like a product, but as a person,” she said. The coach, she said, needs to “meet the demands of the total person, not just football. Football is his extra,” and “If you come to me with football first, that kind of deters me because that’s not what I’m sending him there for. That’s what got him there, but my thing is his education. I want him to come out with a degree because there needs to be a Plan B.”

I think Mama got her wish......Roll Tide!
Need MORE mama's like this!!!

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
He said at the start of the week he and a few other Alabama commits got into the habit of calling out Alabama’s “Roll Tide” rallying cry. “Then after like the first two days everybody got to saying it,” Tenpenny said. One of those people was Kenny Bigelow, a defensive tackle who’d committed to the University of Southern California. Bigelow tweeted he’d been hanging with Henry and Tenpenny and they were “really opening my eyes.” Tenpenny said he didn’t say anything to Bigelow about going to Alabama. Apparently, the big man was just swept up in the calling of the Tide.
Fantastic

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.