Four Bama football players arrested, are dismissed from team

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

Sure, an alarm system can prevent crime. Does an alarm system turn a bad guy into a good guy? No, but it could alter someone's course. They could have decided for what ever reason to commit a robbery, kick in the door, and when the alarm goes off, think better. Now, most of the time this would not be an isolated incident. For most people something like this is not going to truly alter someone's course. For some people this would.

I once rode around with two other people looking for a house to break into. I was 15 or 16, the only minor present and we were scouting out houses to break into all night. We didn't go through with it, and I've never broken into someone's house. I have no criminal record, however for one night, one drunken night of stupidity my life could have gone a different direction.

What I said, in the context of saying over and over it's inexcusable, is that a stipend could deter certain scenarios. That's it, if the guy is a bad guy, it won't make a lick of difference. But, it could prevent a momentary lapse, it could, in some scenarios help people make better choices. I specified Calloway because he might not be aware anyone was hurt, and to him it might have been an entirely petty thing (once again not justifying it!). And that was all I ever intended to convey with that remark. I don't feel sorry for any of these guys, I feel sorry for the victims.
I can't relate to driving around looking for a house to break into......how do you even get to that point? I never saw the "thrill" of doing stuff like that, so maybe that's why I can't relate to people that commit crimes. I always worried my Dad would tear me apart if I ever participated in something like that, but even more important, I was worried that they'd be disappointed in me....and I never wanted to disappoint my parents. Perhaps that made me a "straight edge" -- and "boring", etc.... and not to take this TOO far in a Non-Sports Board direction -- BUT,

If we had a true punishment system in place in society -- starting at birth -- where you get held accountable for your actions, and not have people constantly excusing it, trying to find some "chemical" reason you did a bad thing -- we'd have far fewer problems -- AND -- things like this, wouldn't happen.

This isn't finding a $100 bill and going buy beer, getting drunk while playing Playstation -- this is attacking someone without provocation, stealing merchandise, and breaking countless rules. What did they think would be the result of this behavior?

Crazy......

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

Post this in another thread, but felt like it deserved to be here too considering what it was about.

@TheRealOJHoward said:
Your Character is like an Iceberg because the Most important part of you is not seen 90% of the time!! #TrueTweet

It's going to be really easy to be an OJ Howard fan.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I'm upset now that they haven't been dismissed already, Auburn dismissed there felony 4 within hours. Indefinitely suspended is not good enough IMO. Going to UA, much less playing football, is a privilege not a right. No lawyers need to be consulted, no legal obligations for the university, just kick them out now. If there names are cleared (doubtful) in the future, then they can apply for reinstatement (just like what happened to Janzen Jackson at UT in 2009). If my daughter was in school at UA I would have already called the school demanding that these thugs be removed from campus immediately; not tomorrow, not the next day, not when the lawyers finally have time to make a deal but right now. No ifs and buts, they do not deserve the honor of being a part of this great school or team any longer.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Coming out now from the likes of Chase Goodbread and Andrew Gribble:
Just when he's supposed to be relaxing and enjoying life with Mrs. Terry after 3 out of 4 BCS NC's, he's got to deal with this crap! Sad! Just sad! If we ever lose him, it could be the result of dealing with stuff like this instead of planning and implementing The Process. These guys need to be Processed ASAP! Which is worse dealing with incidents like this or having to deal with High Payed NFL prima donnas.

Bad publicity for UA and the UA Football Program. Deer Antler stuff, now this after feeling so great after another NC.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'm not proud of what these four guys have done, but I must say that the general consensus on this thread is pretty rational. Almost everyone is refraining from excuse making. Almost to a man (if applicable) the sentiment is "if this is true they should be gone from the University and team."

Do we sometimes revel when other teams have issues like these? Maybe. But I don't see a double standard in this thread and all! Good going guys!

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Blah, blah, blah...............these 4 destitute "student athletes" are so poor, that one of them has a car, was involved in an altercation over not paying for gas, the day before. And supposedly had a gun in the trunk. (Or something to that effect.)

So, free tuition, and room and board aren't enough? More than enough. The more free stuff you give them, punks like this will just want more. And stop at nothing to get it.
I guess you're not replying to me, since I didn't say anything at all like that.

But, in reference to what I said, a stipend is only giving them what they are entitled to. It makes no sense that an student on an academic scholarship gets a stipend, and an athlete that is earning the University far more money is not entitled to one. From what I understand, Alabama wants stipends, Nick Saban wants stipends, etc... This scenario is neither pro nor con stipends, bad people will behave badly.

I can't relate to driving around looking for a house to break into......how do you even get to that point? I never saw the "thrill" of doing stuff like that, so maybe that's why I can't relate to people that commit crimes. I always worried my Dad would tear me apart if I ever participated in something like that, but even more important, I was worried that they'd be disappointed in me....and I never wanted to disappoint my parents. Perhaps that made me a "straight edge" -- and "boring", etc.... and not to take this TOO far in a Non-Sports Board direction -- BUT,

If we had a true punishment system in place in society -- starting at birth -- where you get held accountable for your actions, and not have people constantly excusing it, trying to find some "chemical" reason you did a bad thing -- we'd have far fewer problems -- AND -- things like this, wouldn't happen.

This isn't finding a $100 bill and going buy beer, getting drunk while playing Playstation -- this is attacking someone without provocation, steeling merchandise, and breaking countless rules. What did they think would be the result of this behavior?

Crazy......
In my life? It was the absence of parents. It's not an excuse, but how did I get in the car with two adults that thought it was a good idea to break into houses? How was I even allowed to ride around all night with them? I can't and won't defend hardened criminals, or people that do harm to others. But, I can understand that for some people it truly can be a single bad choice to commit a criminal act. It wasn't about a thrill, it was about not caring, or more so wanting to not care.

I completely agree that we should have stiffer penalties for true (one that has victims) criminal behavior, and a society built on personal responsibility. But, that is a non-sports topic. I will say though, that we don't know what Calloway knew. To him it could have been finding a $100 bill and while I'll still say he probably should be kicked off the team, his actions seem to be different from the actions of the other three individuals, which was utterly disgusting.

I can't even fathom how they thought they would get away with it. These were all 4 and 5 star recruits, these are all relatively well known football players. It's like Shaq beating people up and stealing their wallets and thinking no one would figure out he did it. In some cases, it's just plain stupidity and malice.

Last edited:

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

Sure, an alarm system can prevent crime. Does an alarm system turn a bad guy into a good guy? No, but it could alter someone's course. They could have decided for what ever reason to commit a robbery, kick in the door, and when the alarm goes off, think better. Now, most of the time this would not be an isolated incident. For most people something like this is not going to truly alter someone's course. For some people this would.

I once rode around with two other people looking for a house to break into. I was 15 or 16, the only minor present and we were scouting out houses to break into all night. We didn't go through with it, and I've never broken into someone's house. I have no criminal record, however for one night, one drunken night of stupidity my life could have gone a different direction.

What I said, in the context of saying over and over it's inexcusable, is that a stipend could deter certain scenarios. That's it, if the guy is a bad guy, it won't make a lick of difference. But, it could prevent a momentary lapse, it could, in some scenarios help people make better choices. I specified Calloway because he might not be aware anyone was hurt, and to him it might have been an entirely petty thing (once again not justifying it!). And that was all I ever intended to convey with that remark. I don't feel sorry for any of these guys, I feel sorry for the victims.
Stipends have nothing to do with this scenario. I don't care what these guys backgrounds are. Couldn't care less where they came from. That stuff is in the past. Once they set foot on campus, it's a new life. Those guys are royalty and treated as such. They don't lack for anything, except perhaps free time.

You either are, or you aren't. And with that, I'm done with this conversation. Feel free to continue and feed the beast.

Peace.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I guess you're not replying to me, since I didn't say anything at all like that.
Have a guilty conscience? I was probably talking to the silly glasses-wearing monkey.

Peace..............out.........as he would say.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I'm upset now that they haven't been dismissed already, Auburn dismissed there felony 4 within hours. Indefinitely suspended is not good enough IMO. Going to UA, much less playing football, is a privilege not a right. No lawyers need to be consulted, no legal obligations for the university, just kick them out now. If there names are cleared (doubtful) in the future, then they can apply for reinstatement (just like what happened to Janzen Jackson at UT in 2009). If my daughter was in school at UA I would have already called the school demanding that these thugs be removed from campus immediately; not tomorrow, not the next day, not when the lawyers finally have time to make a deal but right now. No ifs and buts, they do not deserve the honor of being a part of this great school or team any longer.
They have been suspended indefinitely pending the investigation.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA

Stipends have nothing to do with this scenario. I don't care what these guys backgrounds are. Couldn't care less where they came from. That stuff is in the past. Once they set foot on campus, it's a new life. Those guys are royalty and treated as such. They don't lack for anything, except perhaps free time.

You either are, or you aren't. And with that, I'm done with this conversation. Feel free to continue and feed the beast.

Peace.
Agreed. I am 100% for giving the giving stipends to the players. But that would not have prevented what happened last night. Not physically harming another student. Maybe it would have prevented our whole textbook gate. But this is at an entirely differently level of thuggery.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I have to be careful lest people cherry pick what I say and ignore the rest...

I was replying to a comment about this issue and "paying players". I did not, out of the blue try to tie this to stipends, I was merely replying to a post. I said over and over it was inexcusable, and I think this shows bad character and I want them off the team as much as anyone.

In the past, NCAA athletes could get stipends. In the present, people on academic scholarships still get stipends. My point from the first time I discussed this long ago on the board, to now, is simply that stipends are not "paying players" in the sense that most people think, and that yes, having an allowance of sorts can help. As I said, criminals will be criminals, bad kids will be bad kids, but my own life experience tells me that not being broke helps in making better choices. That is not my justification for a stipend mind you, my justification is simply that they are entitled to what athletes were entitled in the past, and academic scholarships are entitled to in the present.
I think we get your freakin' point already.

Nothing justifies these actions. Not poverty. Not being fatherless or not loved by their mother or being dropped on their head or breaking up with their girlfriend or doing drugs or anything else. Why don't you start a thread to discuss stipends already?

I have a kid at UA. I don't want these thugs anyway near that campus. Don't know all the circumstances but Calloway may be the only one on the borderline here depending on the exact events that took place with him. The other, if they did indeed admit to this, need to be gone for the safety of all students.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Stipends have nothing to do with this scenario.
I know this response is rhetorical, but in that regard you and I are in agreement. A stipend or the lack thereof obviously didn't drive anyone to go out and beat up an innocent student.

Have a guilty conscience?
I feel bad for punching back this slow kid in high school. Other than that, not really.
I think we get your freakin' point already.
Some didn't apparently, and specifically asked about it. So, my apologies for taking things off topic but I'd honestly rather discuss stipends than really discuss the levels of depravity these players sunk into.

We all know that what happened was inexcusable, and the responsible parties can't be off campus soon enough. Their actions are not a measure of the team, or the University. The response will be, and I think we all know it will be appropriate.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

I know this response is rhetorical, but in that regard you and I are in agreement. A stipend or the lack thereof obviously didn't drive anyone to go out and beat up an innocent student.

I feel bad for punching back this slow kid in high school. Other than that, not really.

Some didn't apparently, and specifically asked about it. So, my apologies for taking things off topic but I'd honestly rather discuss stipends than really discuss the levels of depravity these players sunk into.

We all know that what happened was inexcusable, and the responsible parties can't be off campus soon enough. Their actions are not a measure of the team, or the University. The response will be, and I think we all know it will be appropriate.
I get what you're saying, I really do. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it, but I get it.

I think the point of contention with most people is that you brought up the idea of stipends in this thread. As a stand alone topic, I don't think you'd be on the receiving end of this much vitriol.

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL

Intellectually-challenged, bovine-admiring, obnoxious Barn co-worker just told me...

"We'll, there goes y'all's season."

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA

Indefinite suspension means they are done under Saban...

https://twitter.com/ChaseGoodbread
Chase Goodbread‏ said:
Bowman, Carswell, Sentimore, B.Moore, K.Malone, J.Elder, Prince Hall, R.Green, Duron Carter among the indefinites who were, in time, done.
Chase Goodbread said:
In fact, in 20 minutes of digging for an indefinite suspension under Saban who made it out of the woods, I can't find even one.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Intellectually-challenged, bovine-admiring, obnoxious Barn co-worker just told me...

"We'll, there goes y'all's season."
LOL! The only similarity here and the one that happened at Auburn with the felonous four is that we have 4 who have been thugs too!

After that, nothing is similar.

CNS >>>>>>>>>>>>>> (to infinity) CGC!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I get what you're saying, I really do. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it, but I get it.

I think the point of contention with most people is that you brought up the idea of stipends in this thread. As a stand alone topic, I don't think you'd be on the receiving end of this much vitriol.
Heh, I appreciate the thoughtfulness, but I don't really care about vitriol or angst being directed towards me. I don't take anything personally, heck I have trouble remembering who is who so if someone insulted me in a previous thread I'm likely to forget it in the next. I'm not trying to get under people's skin, but I'm not too worried about it either way.

I didn't bring it up though, I was replying to someone else who brought it up. I could have let it go though, and didn't, but the last thing I'd do right now is make a new thread about stipends since that would be tying it to this event.

With Saban announcing the suspensions, I guess this issue is pretty much done for now. It hurts Alabama's depth, that's the extent of the impact on the team. As far as the victims, I hope they are ok and I hope the Alabama players at least learn a lesson out of this. It's never too late to start making better choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.