Four Bama football players arrested, are dismissed from team

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

Oh please, you can say this about any topic discussed here. I say the same thing now about our players that I said about their players. The same thing.
Hopefully, one day you will understand.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

I'd bet on the big "D" word. Good people don't suddenly transform into evil people unless they're under the influence of some evil force.
\

Sip, I hope you're right. Too often, however, the supposedly good kids are figments of imagination produced by the myth-making collective -- sports writers and coaches and boosters who ignore the flaws because everybody benefits from those who are unnaturally gifted at games.

That said, some of these players have never been away from home, don't have the context to keep their own celebrity in perspective and often don't consider consequences because they've rarely faced any. The odd thing here is that they could have all walked over to The Strip, identified themselves as Alabama football players (as if that would have been necessary), asked for money, and dozens of people would have lined up to empty their wallets.

Instead, they beat and robbed. That need for violence and the reminder of their physical superiority are troubling, and they've left the best coach alive at a loss for words.

When I was in school, there were regular reports about how one of Bear's "good Christian boys" had pummeled some regular student at a fraternity party and what not. That was assault. It was rarely, if ever, punished. But it was not robbery. To give up so much for so little. To leave a trail for police as wide as University Boulevard. Then to confess like they couldn't wait to get the word out. Well, it's almost childlike.

Violent, imbecilic kids.

Last edited:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

That thread is from October 2009 and the individual you addressed is not a moderator or administrator of any sort...
I was just joking like the peeps in that thread, it's ironic, the two guys the OP asked about just kicked off the team (pretty much). So, OP deserves 12 hour ban. But I'm just joking.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

What a horrible situation all the way around. I know young people do stupid stuff, but this goes way beyond that. As far I'm concerned, the only one I would even consider even listening to would be Calloway, although he would not be a part of the team after the the prior issues he has had before. He is obviously NOT getting it. What an epic act of stupidity and a waste of a golden opportunity by them. My Grandfather used to say "Stupid oughta hurt", and the older I get, I find myself agreeing with that.

These players put a very nasty mark on the hard work of CNS and staff, the other players that are doing things right, and have embarrassed the University. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner they're gone, the better.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

\

Sip, I hope you're right. Too often, however, the supposedly good kids are figments of imagination produced by the myth-making collective -- sports writers and coaches and boosters who ignore the flaws because everybody benefits from those who are unnaturally gifted at games.

That said, some of these players have never been away from home, don't have the context to keep their own celebrity in perspective and often don't consider consequences because they've rarely faced any. The odd thing here is that they could have all walked over to The Strip, identified themselves as Alabama football players (as if that would have been necessary), asked for money, and dozens of people would have lined up to empty their wallets.

Instead, they beat and robbed. That need for violence and the reminder of their physical superiority are troubling, and they've left the best coach alive at a loss for words.

When I was in school, there were regular reports about how one of Bear's "good Christian boys" had pummeled some regular student at a fraternity partys and what not. That was assault. It was rarely, if ever, punished. But it was not robbery. To give up so much for so little. To leave a trail for police as wide as University Boulevard. Then to confess like they couldn't wait to get the word out. Well, it's almost childlike.

Violent, imbecilic kids.
Not only that, but, as I said way above, beating a kid into unconsciousness to get a backpack and wallet when, if you look the way these guys do, all you have to say is "Hand it over," is a crime of rage and passion. It's not simple robbery for property. I'm sure the charges will grow from those lodged so far. Also, as said above, Williams has been a dead man walking since the Sunday incident. He had nothing to lose, in one sense. Why the others would listen to him is the mystery...

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callo

While in Pensacola I never heard of Pettway getting in to the slightest bit of trouble, now he's beating students, something doesn't smell right...
If you sleep with the dogs, you get fleas. Apparently he chose the wrong sort to hang with or so it seems.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm not sure how it got started, but we don't have discussion, off-topic at that, on the forums. That is between the staff and the individual involved. Here is my sticky from the NS forum:

Staff actions between staff and a member are strictly private...

They are not up for discussion nor a majority vote. This has always been true. Starting threads concerning staff action will endanger the posting privileges of members persisting in doing so. Please keep this in mind before you touch your keyboard...​

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callo

I've got little patience for this type of stuff. Barring this being a fabrication, I can't see any circumstances for the 4 to be allowed to stay on the team.

RTR '12!

BamaBoots

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Rocket City

They should of course go to prison. They have laid their hands on people and beat them in such a way that they may have permanently been injured or killed them. They can just take a great sign of relief it was not my daughter or son. But then again the relatives or friends of the students may think the way I do. Watch your backs boys.:BigA::mad::BigA:

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas

it'd be a nice gesture if the AD contributed toward counseling/ therapy sessions for the victims since it did happen on campus.
I'm sure once theyvare through suing the university and the AD they will be able to afford their own counseling.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

Not only that, but, as I said way above, beating a kid into unconsciousness to get a backpack and wallet when, if you look the way these guys do, all you have to say is "Hand it over," is a crime of rage and passion. It's not simple robbery for property. I'm sure the charges will grow from those lodged so far. Also, as said above, Williams has been a dead man walking since the Sunday incident. He had nothing to lose, in one sense. Why the others would listen to him is the mystery...
This pretty much completely sums up my thoughts about the situation. If all the confessions are true, Williams got more out of the act than the worth of a credit card and should have the book thrown at him. The rest, at the least, should be gone from the team and school.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010

Coach Saban tells an interesting story about Ro McClain. If McClain had gotten an assault charge in T-town (when he had that physical altercation with another student) it would've cost him about $28 million. That's because he would've fallen from a 1st round NFL pick to a 3rd round pick.

These guys had an incredible opportunity. They blew it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

What the Alabama players did was wrong, cruel and disrespectful for the university of Alabama and the football team. They deserve to be kicked off the team. IT's plan stupid. What bothers me that we still do not know the whole story of what happened, and we only know of the incident reported in the police report. I will pray for those young men, and hope that they turn their life around. I refuse to call them thugs, because what they did was stupid, but doesn't make them a thug at all.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This pretty much completely sums up my thoughts about the situation. If all the confessions are true, Williams got more out of the act than the worth of a credit card and should have the book thrown at him. The rest, at the least, should be gone from the team and school.
After digging around a bit, Calloway, Hayes and Pettway had been in a bit of hot water for several reasons. Williams, AFAIK, had not, although he was not progressing as hoped. According to the Sunday statement of the convenience store clerk, Williams actually stated he was not going to pay, even if he had to go to his trunk, which he did, before he got arrested. He was very, very lucky not to have had a higher charge than unlicensed possession. At any rate, to repeat, I think he was gone from the team since Sunday. Was that a factor? IMO, probably...

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

After digging around a bit, Calloway, Hayes and Pettway had been in a bit of hot water for several reasons. Williams, AFAIK, had not, although he was not progressing as hoped. According to the Sunday statement of the convenience store clerk, Williams actually stated he was not going to pay, even if he had to go to his trunk, which he did, before he got arrested. He was very, very lucky not to have had a higher charge than unlicensed possession. At any rate, to repeat, I think he was gone from the team since Sunday. Was that a factor? IMO, probably...
I heard about that "trunk popping" incident yesterday. I took it as the normal bravado that a few of the guys on our team have year in and year out. (I have a couple of personal stories of said bravado by a couple of guys who were on the team during the time I was in school (2000-2006). Heard one say to a UA police officer, "Do you know who I am? I run this campus!" after finishing the season with 2 tackles and 1 tackle for loss. Yeah...it was that bad.) But apparently, Eddie has some issues there. All types of conclusions I could draw here, but I hate blanket statements and all that come with them. But in any event, I pray that all these young men get their lives together, football or not.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

I'll let Lady Justice deal a hand for these knuckleheads. I'll sincerely hope and pray for the real victim here.

As for me, they aren't ruining my post-Championship buzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.