Four Bama football players arrested, are dismissed from team

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsoncamaro

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 9, 2010
Re: Four Bama football players arrested...

First, I hope they get denied YO status. Especially EW. He perpetrated a heinous assault on two different innocent people. Pettway and Hayes are no better, as they did nothing to stop one...and helped with the other. They deserve jail time...YO status should be for reserved for people who make youthful mistakes...these guys, IMO, don't fall into that category.

Second, if Pettway wants to continue his education he needs to do it elsewhere. His ban from campus should continue. The University owes him nothing, and should show him no favor.

Third, any attempt to "rejoin his team" is laughable. I will say, I think there is no way CNS would let him back on the field in any capacity. However, if the dominoes fall so absurdly strange that the University is willing to give him a second chance...I think CNS should stick to his guns, and remove him from the team. There is no defensible way for the University, the Athletics Department, or the Team to allow Pettway (or any of the other felony 3) to continue on, much less continue on while having their way paid.

This is a closed book in my opinion...
totally agree

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN

They have applied for youthful offender status.

Pettway's attorney says he hopes "to return to his studies and to his team as quickly as possible."

I really hope this does not happen. I am with Cecil. If the facts are anywhere close to what has been reported, these guys need to look elsewhere to get their lives together.
When I read the attorney's comments, I took them as pure lawyer speak - trying to put a positive spin on this for the public. I don't think he believes any of the stuff that he said in regards to Pettway returning to UA or the team. IMO, The only was either of those scenarios will occur is if the actual version of what happened is vastly different from what has been reported so far.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

I'm really a Bama fan and I really love the Football team and University. I understand being measured and am all for 2nd chances, but I agree with Cecil Hurt here. These players 2nd chances shouldn't come at the University of Alabama. If they pay whatever debts need to be paid, realize the error of their ways, show contrition and understanding, and better themselves because of their colossal mistakes and misdeeds, then I hope they get to be on a college campus and play football again. I just don't think they should get to do either of those two things in Tuscaloosa...
I understand how you and most everyone on here feel about this situation and I feel the same way. But I am not nor are anyone on this website being paid 5 million a year to coach these players. If he decides to allow all four players to return to the team, pending the University re-in-statement, I will support him 100%! Its coach Sabans decision as to what goes on in his system, and no one elses! If the Powers to be doesn't agree they can fire him, but as for myself I support whatever coach Saban decides. Fan bases may influence the hiring and firing of poor or great coaches no doubt! Fan bases can also send a coach packing on his own if he decides to leave because of expectations they have that he doesn't share. Doubt he cares anything about what is being said on here by myself or anyone else on here. But I go on record supporting whatever decision he makes as so far his decisions have turned out fairly well wouldn't you say? ;) I really doubt he needs any of our help or Cecil's in making decisions about how he runs his program. But feel free to offer it if you must! Good luck with that! ;)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I understand how you and most everyone on here feel about this situation and I feel the same way. But I am not nor are anyone on this website being paid 5 million a year to coach these players. If he decides to allow all four players to return to the team, pending the University re-in-statement, I will support him 100%! Its coach Sabans decision as to what goes on in his system, and no one elses! If the Powers to be doesn't agree they can fire him, but as for myself I support whatever coach Saban decides. Fan bases may influence the hiring and firing of poor or great coaches no doubt! Fan bases can also send a coach packing on his own if he decides to leave because of expectations they have that he doesn't share. Doubt he cares anything about what is being said on here by myself or anyone else on here. But I go on record supporting whatever decision he makes as so far his decisions have turned out fairly well wouldn't you say? ;) I really doubt he needs any of our help or Cecil's in making decisions about how he runs his program. But feel free to offer it if you must! Good luck with that! ;)
:rolleyes:

It's called a 'discussion'.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

Send 'em packing at your earliest convenience, Nick.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

Well, speaking for myself...Everyday I check this site and hope to see this thread retitled to "...four Alabama players dismissed..."

That's just me. :blush:

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN

At this point, I don't think CNS has a decision to make; he has already suspended them indefinitely from the team. Right now, their fates are in the hands of the university. With three of them already being banned from campus, I think their chances of returning to UA as students are slim to none. Although Calloway is still on campus, I think he is a deadman walking considering his apparent lack of a conscious in this situation and his previous transgressions. The sooner a final decision is made, the better.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006

Well, speaking for myself...Everyday I check this site and hope to see this thread retitled to "...four Alabama players dismissed..."

That's just me. :blush:
I'm hoping for "Bama names Oline coach"!

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

At this point, I don't think CNS has a decision to make; he has already suspended them indefinitely from the team. Right now, their fates are in the hands of the university. With three of them already being banned from campus, I think their chances of returning to UA as students are slim to none. Although Calloway is still on campus, I think he is a deadman walking considering his apparent lack of a conscious in this situation and his previous transgressions. The sooner a final decision is made, the better.
I agree completely

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
This sounds like something from a penn st board. If somehow saban were to keep any of the three I would lose a lot respect for him and consider him a hypocrit, still a great football coach but I would view him differently. Thankfully I don't think we have to worry about him letting them back.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Actually, it's not. If these kids violate student codes of conduct, they should be gone, regardless of what CNS thinks.

This isn't Penn State or Notre Dame.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

This thread seems like a reinvention of the same previous posts with the same posters participating.
Just hang in there, something will happen sooner or later to spike your interest and satisfy your curiousity. I'm looking for some closure myself. Just have to let it run it's course.
Roll Tide!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Just hang in there, something will happen sooner or later to spike your interest and satisfy your curiousity. I'm looking for some closure myself. Just have to let it run it's course.
Roll Tide!
I think you're right. Until the ultimate fate of all four is known, it's going to remain a hot topic, whether or not we want it to be. We can't be ostriches...

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Four Bama football players arrested...

I'm really disappointed in how the "Youthful Offender" status is so vastly abused. IMO it was meant for kids in high school, etc. who commit minor crimes such as shoplifting, theft of or damage to private property, etc.). When applied correctly, the YO status allows for the kids to perform community service and/or pay a small fine and then either their records sealed or expunged so that it doesn't follow them into adulthood and possibly prevent them from enrolling in college or the military or obtain employment with reputable businesses.
That said, I don't care for college kids, who btw have already reached the age of majority, to use this as a way out of a felony conviction and possible prison term.
Count me in with those who want these guys gone.
YO is for people between the ages of 18-22. High school kids are treated as juveniles anyway because they are minors. A minor can be certified as an adult (if under 18) and cannot be granted YO.

Like I have said in previous posts, it is malpractice for an attorney to NOT apply for YO. It's possible that Pettway and Hayes get it but I don't see it for EW. And, even if they get it they do not deserve to be reinstated to the team. I hope that ship has sailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I'm probably in school traffic. Sigh.

Alakablamo

1st Team
Nov 24, 2001
Upstate, SC

My opinion:

For the last 6 years, fans of other teams and haters of CNS have hammered on how (supposedly) quickly our coach is to dismiss players or force them out as part of "The Process", yet we seem to be getting the opposite reaction for this one situation. So... which one is it? I'll bet the terms of the argument change once the four players are dismissed.

... and they will be, because this story only has one ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.