Page 51 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4144454647484950515253545556575861 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Tolerant on TideFans.com

Re: Four Bama football players arrested...

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It is our policy not to discuss discipline. However, sometimes matters are so obvious that there is a need for it. It's obvious that Dallas4 has been suspended when he didn't drop his attack after being advised by staff to do so. I've never understood his point nor Snoopy's, either one. Of course Saban's accountable. I'd be willing to bet he hasn't had a decent night's sleep since learning of the first incident with Williams. This word "accountable" keeps being thrown around by people I was certain were Bama fans, echoing language I'm reading over and over on Auburn sites. What is it? Is he supposed to utter some personal public mea culpa or apologize to the victims as if he'd committed the crimes? Dragged before a inquisitional committee of some sort? We have one of the lowest incidence of this type of offense in college football - not one major incident since 2008. What do these people want? If you demand "accountability," don't refer me to the dictionary; tell me exactly what Saban should do at this point in time. I don't think I've seen such muddy thinking a long, long time...
    Earle: I suspect that Coach Saban will hold himself "accountable" because he is the man in charge, not because he himself is at fault. He isn't; assuming the facts are as they seem to be, the players are at fault. What I expect will happen is that he and the staff will review the interactions they had with these soon-to-be-ex-players to see if there were any signs they missed so they can apply them in the future. That's not fault, that's leadership, and Coach Saban is definitely a leader.

2. Advertisement

Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox Tider View Post
    When I read this story my mind flew back to an article I read a few years back about the time CPB caught a player selling pot in the early 70s. Here is the link. Scroll down to the part where CPB chases the kid back to his dorm and literally throws all his stuff out the window. Nothing that dramatic will happen here, but I have complete confidence that CNS will handle the situation appropriately.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2007/8/1...edemption.aspx
    Thank you for posting the link . There have been various versions of the story out there over the years . My late father once used a version of it on me the first time I was caught smoking a cigarette . I think I was about 8 or 9 . Of course he gave me different version , for a different reason , when I was caught with beer at the age of 14 .
    "I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program . I can tell you that however you feel about it , I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish . I want to win every game we play ." - Nick Saban 1/4/07

Suspended

I do hope the coaching staff clamps down players' social media commentary re: this incident. I know it's common for a lot of athletes to stand by their buddies no matter what (remember Joe Horn and "Free Mike Vick") but that's the last thing we need in the coming weeks.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonSEC's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    I do hope the coaching staff clamps down players' social media commentary re: this incident. I know it's common for a lot of athletes to stand by their buddies no matter what (remember Joe Horn and "Free Mike Vick") but that's the last thing we need in the coming weeks.
    The Pandora's box is open now and social media is so integrated into our younger generation's culture that it's practically impossible to eliminate or even censure a player's input. About all the staff could do is try to educate their young impulsive minds into thinking before they type. Good luck with that. It wouldn't have worked on me thirty years ago....and every now and again, it doesn't work on these forums today(for me that is).
    Last edited by CrimsonSEC; February 13th, 2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: grammar
    Lee

"A long way," he said after being asked how far the Crimson Tide had come since Coach Nick Saban arrived three years ago. "I guess you could say it's the distance from Shreveport to Pasadena."
    Mike Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonSEC View Post
    The Pandora's box is open now and social media is so integrated into our younger generation's culture that it's practically impossible to eliminate or even censure a player's input. About all the staff could do is try to educate their young impulsive minds into thinking before they type. Good luck with that. It wouldn't have worked on me thirty years ago....and every now and again, it doesn't work on these forums today.
    That's incorrect. We can't control Twitter, but we can control how these forums are used - and we will...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Ok I'm caught up and thank God I missed "The Accountability Follies."

Some folks here have short memories. Saban embodies discipline. We've had problems here the decade before his arrival because some head honchos did not. In response to the alleged glee some here allegedly have towards others, I would note that NOBODY here was looking at this in terms of "how long is he out." Pretty much every poster has said they will never play for us again and shouldn't anyway. There are also the numbers. Every school - every school - has incidents. But we are the Brand now, so the standards are higher that others impose.

But remember: the Duke rape case changed everything. Saban has to wait and Scarb's column taking him to task was a self-important clown looking for an easy column. By comparison we are not doing bad. For Pete's sake, Baylor had one basketball player kill another and the coach tried to cover it up. Sandusky.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That's incorrect. We can't control Twitter, but we can control how these forums are used - and we will...
    LOL, Earle I wasn't speaking to the mod/admins ability to control the content of the forums. I have more confidence in that than I have with any of the dozens of forums I have joined since the mid-nineties. I was speaking only about my personal experience of sometimes typing without thinking it through first..........as evidenced by my last sentence in not making it clear that I was speaking only about myself.
    Lee

"A long way," he said after being asked how far the Crimson Tide had come since Coach Nick Saban arrived three years ago. "I guess you could say it's the distance from Shreveport to Pasadena."
    Mike Johnson

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The Pandora's box is open now and social media is so integrated into our younger generation's culture that it's practically impossible to eliminate or even censure a player's input. About all the staff could do is try to educate their young impulsive minds into thinking before they type. Good luck with that. It wouldn't have worked on me thirty years ago....and every now and again, it doesn't work on these forums today.
    Plenty of coaches have "no Twitter" rules for their players. It wouldn't be a bad thing for CNS to do the same to make sure the players don't make regretful comments about the situation.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Plenty of coaches have "no Twitter" rules for their players. It wouldn't be a bad thing for CNS to do the same to make sure the players don't make regretful comments about the situation.
    I'm sure you know more about social media than myself. How many of the players do you think are abiding by those rules, percentage wise? I do see your point though, a player would have to disguise their identity, which would negate most embarrassing knee jerk tweets.
    Lee

Mike Johnson

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I guess I am having a real hard time getting worked up about this. No coach, no matter how discipline minded he is, well get everyone in line. These guys screwed up. They've been suspended. They'll probably be kicked off the team once the matter is fully fleshed out. What's the big deal?

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

my twitter account doesn't state who i am at all.

LOL, Earle I wasn't speaking to the mod/admins ability to control the content of the forums. I have more confidence in that than I have with any of the dozens of forums I have joined since the mid-nineties. I was speaking only about my personal experience of sometimes typing without thinking it through first..........as evidenced by my last sentence in not making it clear that I was speaking only about myself.
    OK, I misunderstood. We seem to have a rash of folks on both this board and basketball who seem intent on making up their own rules.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yeah. I banned myself from the basketball forums because I'm not in a good way with our program right now. Hah