Four Bama football players arrested, are dismissed from team

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

Yep, I'm not sure it makes a difference since the student ID is effectively binded to a monetary account.
If anything, it might be a bit worse because the Action Cards have -- or at least had as of a few years ago -- the photo ID of the holder on the front of the card.

Two more points:

(1) FWIW, that is probably why the cards were being used at vending machines, too, because otherwise to use it at any location accepting 'Bama Cash you would have to physically present the card to the merchant for payment, who would immediately realize you were not the person depicted on the card.

(2) Don't necessarily assume that "vending machine" means it was necessarily all spent on snack foods. Vending machines can sell a lot these days -- all of the from Coca-Cola to iPods and Beats headphones -- so it really just depends on where the machine was located as to the contents purchased.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

Are these kids doing this for pocket money? It's totally illegal and I'm not defending them, however, if they are doing it for pocket money to buy snacks, it's really sad.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

How long before this turns into "they stole the card for food which proves we need to pay college players" in the media? In fact, Josh Moon has already alluded to that this morning on his radio show; something to the effect of "these kids don't think straight when they have so little money that they can't even afford food."
Josh Chapman ‏@The_Boss61
I just dont understand the decisions these boys make, now days. Free Scholarship, free room and free food.Why would they even take that risk

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

It's disappointing. We don't have much trouble in our program so I've tended to put our players in another category behavior-wise. Then this..

Anyone can screw up but c'mon. You are on scholarship as a football player at Alabama. You're surrounded by a world class support system.

Goodbye guys.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I hope he wasn't thinking that it didn't qualify as a credit/debit card...
The trouble though is arguing he didn't understand how an ACT card work though. I mean, I know that it's my money to spend and why in the heck would I think a card with someone else's name and picture is my money to spend too?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

How long before this turns into "they stole the card for food which proves we need to pay college players" in the media? In fact, Josh Moon has already alluded to that this morning on his radio show; something to the effect of "these kids don't think straight when they have so little money that they can't even afford food."
He sounds as stupid as these 4.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

Williams doesnt seem to care less, being very open.
Yes, as someone above said, he seems intent on sabotaging his future. Strange. I hope he gets help to straighten out his life and wrong headed thinking.

Lil Bama Lady

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 31, 2006
Heflin, Alabama, United States

This goes way past CNS. The University will kick them out. Hard to play ball when you aren't in school. Before these players leave, I'd like for them to get to address the entire team and tell them why they thought this was something they needed to do. I'd really like the O Line from this past season to address them one at a time.
Privately, perhaps??

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN

My son is a high school sophomore and will be going to school soon. I just keep thinking one of these victims could be him. I love AL football as much as anyone. I am an alumnus, have season tickets, etc. but these are a few thugs who beat somebody up for some snacks and a laptop. That was somebody’s kid they beat up just because they could. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior.

They need to be kicked off the team immediately and go to jail. The have had an awesome opportunity if front of them and they have given it away.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

Right. These kids have the money to buy all kinds of tattoos, but don't have pockett change.
That has crossed my mind too.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

Stupid is as stupid does. I find nothing sad about this. If you can't engage your brain regarding right & wrong, you deserve to get caught and have to pay the consequences. I hope CNS deals with them justly and swiftly and we can all move along. Hope these young men can learn from this and move along in their lives the correct way - just not in our program.
Couldn't have said it better myself. At my undergrad school we had something like this happen and the football team/powers that be basically stepped in to keep them around. I really hope that doesn't happen here. People that are capable of doing this have no business getting all of the good that comes from the football program and the university. In my opinion, they don't deserve to be walking the streets period.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

Embarrassing, the sooner we get past this sorry episode the better. It's the lead on almost every site I've been on, and twitter is just full of this story.. Capstone's Headline was "4 current Bama players throw their futures away"....what can one say SMH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

If anything, it might be a bit worse because the Action Cards have -- or at least had as of a few years ago -- the photo ID of the holder on the front of the card.

Two more points:

(1) FWIW, that is probably why the cards were being used at vending machines, too, because otherwise to use it at any location accepting 'Bama Cash you would have to physically present the card to the merchant for payment, who would immediately realize you were not the person depicted on the card.

(2) Don't necessarily assume that "vending machine" means it was necessarily all spent on snack foods. Vending machines can sell a lot these days -- all of the from Coca-Cola to iPods and Beats headphones -- so it really just depends on where the machine was located as to the contents purchased.
My former law partner had his wallet taken at gun point in the parking lot of an apartment complex he owned. He managed to get all the cards stopped except for the Shell Oil card, which the thief used for two more years. It didn't have photo ID, but George had a long and distinctly Jewish name. The robber was black and, George thought, in a army uniform. I thought it was likely ROTC, but George wouldn't have known the difference. It was only used at one station - which was one block from the Alabama A&M campus. When I heard a roar from the office adjacent to mine, I knew that George had opened his Shell statement again...

drfrankfree

Scout Team
Aug 1, 2006

This is just unbelievable. Their lockers will be vacant by the weekend. Count on it. Wake up young people! Your life is not a rap video!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.