Four Bama football players arrested, are dismissed from team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
OK, everyone drop the 'CNS accountability' talk, the assumptions that topic is based on are ludicrous.
Why is it that when our guys get in trouble there is nothing the CNS could do, but when a GA player gets in trouble for example, its a direct reflection on Mark Richt? Seems like a double standard to me. Maybe some of these other coaches can't control every move their players make either.

I know, I know, here comes all the reasons its different with CNS... I'm sure its too much to ask for everyone to stop pointing fingers and laughing when other programs get in trouble, but it sure makes us look foolish at times like this.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Four Bama football players arrested...

Why is it that when our guys get in trouble there is nothing the coach could do, but when a GA player gets in trouble its a direct reflection on Mark Richt? Seems like a double standard to me. Maybe some of these other coaches can't control every move their players make either.

I know, I know, here comes all the reasons its different with CNS... I'm sure its too much to ask for everyone to stop pointing fingers and laughing when other programs get in trouble, but it sure makes us look foolish at times like this.
The main difference is in the sheer numbers involved...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

Boy I'm glad that is over & I took my BP medicine this morning.

Respectfully, I see a much different response from Tide fans than the other schools when problems arise, & all schools have it. Sadly, this will not be the Last I'm sure.

However just think for a minute in the 7 years of Coach Saban, really how many kids have gone bad?

He has brought in some kids with problems & really helped turn their life around, but for the most part Alabama attracts, smart, talented, respectful young men working on a better life for them & their families.

I am 100% sure CNS will do what is Right in all counts when dealing with these young men.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Why is it that when our guys get in trouble there is nothing the coach could do, but when a GA player gets in trouble its a direct reflection on Mark Richt? Seems like a double standard to me. Maybe some of these other coaches can't control every move their players make either.

as one who routinely criticizes mark richt for just about everything, i will say the main reason is that it is a pattern with richt. but honestly i don't really care that much, i just don't like richt or uga and like to poke fun at them. :D

mho is that if you (the royal you, not you specifically Dallas) spend much time worrying yourself over what other folks, especially rival fans, think about Bama football and how our program is run, you're taking things way too seriously.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
The main difference is in the sheer numbers involved...
I agree we seem to have less problems, but when our guys go off the reservation they go far. Selling cocaine in AD parking lot, armed robbery, one guy died and now these guys beating someone to near death and threatening store clerks with guns. But its true we don't seem to have as many getting DUI's or public intox charges as other schools.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I don't get the "Saban must be held accountable" line. I don't know what exactly he could have done to prevent it short of turning the football program into a year-round bootcamp.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

Maybe it's because we all forget that 'glass houses' in some form or fashion, exist for everyone, even when we do our best not to erect one. We've been spoiled by what we know to be perhaps the finest program to ever exist at Bama. No one, however, can predict the actions of everyone involved in the program. As a whole, though, Bama and CNS have done an outstanding job in the personnel they have introduced into the system.
Roll, National Champions, Roll!

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

as one who routinely criticizes mark richt for just about everything, i will say the main reason is that it is a pattern with richt. but honestly i don't really care that much, i just don't like richt or uga and like to poke fun at them. :D

mho is that if you (the royal you, not you specifically Dallas) spend much time worrying yourself over what other folks, especially rival fans, think about Bama football and how our program is run, you're taking things way too seriously.
Mark Richt has lost control of Williams, Pettway, Hayes, and Calloway.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

What really concerns me is if the kids were good character kids - good students - no prior issues with the law (except Calloway) - then what should concern me if I were CNS and maybe all of us too is what sort of episode, drug or whatever would cause such a drastic change in someone's behavior to cause them to do something like this? We all know of good kids from high school who went off to college and got too involved in the social aspect of college. I have several friends who wrecked their lives getting involved in the drug culture that used to be really pervasive in the fraternities back when I was at the university. But overall, I wonder if we have concern that there are some really dangerous people trolling on the fringes of our football team or heaven forbid there is another Jimmy Johns within the program that is dealing to other players.

This question is not meant as a rumor (or anything of the sort) but if I were taking inventory of the program (as I am sure the staff is doing right now) based on what happened and who did it and their prior reputation as solid kids - I have to ask are there some bad influences trolling around our team that need to be dealt with.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I agree we seem to have less problems, but when our guys go off the reservation they go far. Selling cocaine in AD parking lot, armed robbery, one guy died and now these guys beating someone to near death and threatening store clerks with guns. But its true we don't seem to have as many getting DUI's or public intox charges as other schools.
Hmm... You need to recheck some of the others. In the case of the barn, you had armed home invasion with four guys, a mass shooting and deaths at a swimming pool party and one player who administered a beating every bit as bad as these and continued to play. ​I think you're donning the hair shirt a little too quickly...

mikeincarolina

Scout Team
Sep 11, 2010

Simply put,I trust in our coaches to handle this.I don't claim to know how ,but if they remain with the team,I. wouldn't want to be them.Coach Stallings had a player that stole a sweater from a students car.Despite calls to kick him off the team coach Stallings kept him and said ,"if I do I lose all influence on him".Just saying this I know strong armed robbery is much worse.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I would imagine the shock for the rest of the team...to go from the national discussion about how superior they are as a team to the current discussion about what has happened, with the deer antler stuff thrown in in between...I would think simple peer pressure would ramp up on the team to not do stupid or criminal stuff that embarrasses everybody else.

What I mean is that they've been both media darlings and goats all within a very short span of time. I bet it drives home the point that being good is much better than making trouble.
I'm not suggesting the rest of the team is at fault in any way, just that they must be embarrassed by their teammates behavior.

Last edited:

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Simply put,I trust in our coaches to handle this.I don't claim to know how ,but if they remain with the team,I. wouldn't want to be them.Coach Stallings had a player that stole a sweater from a students car.Despite calls to kick him off the team coach Stallings kept him and said ,"if I do I lose all influence on him".Just saying this I know strong armed robbery is much worse.
If it's something minor like that (a non-violent) offense, then I'd agree. But assuming the allegations are true, there's no second chances for this. Even assuming CNS wants to keep them, I'd bet the Regents/ President/ Dean will want them out for the violation of student handbook.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Hmm... You need to recheck some of the others. In the case of the barn, you had armed home invasion with four guys, a mass shooting and deaths at a swimming pool party and one player who administered a beating every bit as bad as these and continued to play. ​I think you're donning the hair shirt a little too quickly...
I agree. Look at the mythical Fulmer Cup rankings. We've been one of the least active power teams in that criminality ranking lately. Saban hasn't had a major issue since Elder and Jimmy Johns in 2008.

This incident is absolutely terrible but I don't think it is a sign of systemic problem. It isn't like Georgia, Florida, or Auburn who year-to-year seem to always have some major incident.

Last edited:

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
So if your 14 year old son comes home drunk from a party it isn't a problem because he just drank and the other kids were doing drugs? The "someone else is worse than me" argument is a pretty weak one.

I just don't understand that the same people who say other coaches who's players get in trouble should be held responsible, don't believe CNS should even be mentioned in the same sentence with the word "accountable". It's not like I'm saying he is a bad guy, a bad coach, a bad recruiter, a poor role model or anything of the sort. I'm just saying he's equally responsible for what happens in his program as other head coaches and we should use consistency in our finger pointing.

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006

This has been speculated. Don't know if it has been addressed by the officials or not.

Still, IF he was on drugs he's still got to answer. No excuses.
I agree, there's still consequences for his actions. Was just wondering since there were those saying it was not like him.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

So if your 14 year old son comes home drunk from a party it isn't a problem because he just drank and the other kids were doing drugs? The "someone else is worse than me" argument is a pretty weak one.

I just don't understand that the same people who say other coaches who's players get in trouble should be held responsible, don't believe CNS should even be mentioned in the same sentence with the word "accountable". It's not like I'm saying he is a bad guy, a bad coach, a bad recruiter, a poor role model or anything of the sort. I'm just saying he's equally responsible for what happens in his program as other head coaches and we should use consistency in our finger pointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.