Four Bama football players arrested, are dismissed from team

Status
Not open for further replies.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

(Assuming they're all guilty as reports say they have admitted to being)

Time for these 4 idiots to go wherever it is that stupid people go. They should be kicked out of school on honor code violence violations so there's no chance of Them ever being on another Bama team. Don't even try and chalk it up to kids being kids. Sorry (not really) but I have zero tolerance for this stuff.
Agreed. And, OT but, aren't you about due for an avatar change?:wink:

CDsdad

Scout Team
Nov 20, 2007
Wayne County, MS
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

These guys should be dismissed from The University not just the team. Surely, CNS and Moore will get rid of these guys. There is no excuse or reason for what these guys did. And I believe Calloway has had trouble before.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

If they want pocket money, quit the team, get a job, and have pocket money.....
If they want a free education, a chance to play in the pros, and eat better than my family does (3x/day - 7days/week on campus) -- then they should do what they PROMISED you'd they'd do when they signed their LOI.....
I have to be careful lest people cherry pick what I say and ignore the rest...

I was replying to a comment about this issue and "paying players". I did not, out of the blue try to tie this to stipends, I was merely replying to a post. I said over and over it was inexcusable, and I think this shows bad character and I want them off the team as much as anyone.

In the past, NCAA athletes could get stipends. In the present, people on academic scholarships still get stipends. My point from the first time I discussed this long ago on the board, to now, is simply that stipends are not "paying players" in the sense that most people think, and that yes, having an allowance of sorts can help. As I said, criminals will be criminals, bad kids will be bad kids, but my own life experience tells me that not being broke helps in making better choices. That is not my justification for a stipend mind you, my justification is simply that they are entitled to what athletes were entitled in the past, and academic scholarships are entitled to in the present.

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

These guys should be dismissed from The University not just the team. Surely, CNS and Moore will get rid of these guys. There is no excuse or reason for what these guys did. And I believe Calloway has had trouble before.
because it was student vs. student, it may very well happen.....

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

Then you didn't read what I said, or didn't understand it. I didn't bring up "paying players", I didn't defend them in what I originally said, and I said three times it's not an excuse. You can think what you want, and misrepresent what I said, but I think saying three times it's not an excuse is not my justifying criminal actions.
You said this:

However, if you look at Calloway specifically, I do think you can see how having some pocket money could have dispelled what ever motivation he had to participate in using the stolen card.
You wanna interpret it for me so that I understand "correctly"?

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I'm normally hold the opinion of "let's wait and learn the details before we act" --

This seems pretty clear -- I think Coach should have them removed from the team immediately. The school should send them home immediately. And a decision needs to be made as to their futire within the next 24-48 hours max.

Also -- if I'm one of the students that got attacked -- do you press charges for the assault? What type of pressure will that unleash upon them?

Crazy --
The assault is basically included in the Robbery. The fact that they assaulted him makes it a robbery and not a theft. If that make sense. If you read the code sections, it explains it. They are all EXTREMELY lucky that Williams' gun was already in the police impound or it would have been Robbery 1st, a Class A Felony.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I'll bet Paul Finebaum is "chomping at the bit" to get back on the air.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

Yes, football schmootball. You attack and rob your classmates, on campus no less, you should be permanently expelled from the University. And no, I don't think you have to wait for the judicial system to take its course unless these guys are claiming innocence, which apparently they are not. Attending college is a privilege. You embarrass the university and attack your fellow students, you lose that privilege. Bonner, Nelson and Hebson should take this one.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

This is a link to the police report. They kid was beaten unconscious. Pettway and William beat him. Read the last page and the last paragraph of the police report. These are the facts as the police reported them. My question is why did they do this were they drunk or high?

No matter how you parse the words these two players beat him unconscious, what if this were your son or my daughter? Would you not be calling the president and CNS to have them removed from the campus? Do you give them a 2nd chance to do it again? If so why?

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/assets/pdf/TL26600212.PDF

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

You wanna interpret it for me so that I understand "correctly"?
Sure, an alarm system can prevent crime. Does an alarm system turn a bad guy into a good guy? No, but it could alter someone's course. They could have decided for what ever reason to commit a robbery, kick in the door, and when the alarm goes off, think better. Now, most of the time this would not be an isolated incident. For most people something like this is not going to truly alter someone's course. For some people this would.

I once rode around with two other people looking for a house to break into. I was 15 or 16, the only minor present and we were scouting out houses to break into all night. We didn't go through with it, and I've never broken into someone's house. I have no criminal record, however for one night, one drunken night of stupidity my life could have gone a different direction.

What I said, in the context of saying over and over it's inexcusable, is that a stipend could deter certain scenarios. That's it, if the guy is a bad guy, it won't make a lick of difference. But, it could prevent a momentary lapse, it could, in some scenarios help people make better choices. I specified Calloway because he might not be aware anyone was hurt, and to him it might have been an entirely petty thing (once again not justifying it!). And that was all I ever intended to convey with that remark. I don't feel sorry for any of these guys, I feel sorry for the victims.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

There have been a lot of references to our humility in this thread. I do think that we as a fan base should not set a double standard, and are sometimes guilty of one. However, there is a difference between a culture of incidents dealt with by looking the other way and instances that are dealt with swiftly and properly. Hopefully this will be dealt with appropriately and we can be proud of that fact, no matter how embarrassing the fact it occurred.

CDsdad

Scout Team
Nov 20, 2007
Wayne County, MS

For ANYBODY, coaches, administrator, professors, ANYBODY, what would you want to do if 3 guys attacked YOUR KID, whether it was on campus, on the street in Tuscaloosa, or in your hometown, and then a 4th guy used property syolen from your kid. I know what I would want to happen and I know what I would do if the perpetrators were not dismissed. This is bigger than Bama football, to me. These guys shouldn't be on campus, much less on the team.

Take away the fact that they are UA football players, and nobody would be discussing what should happen to them. Dismissal from any university would be a foregone conclusion.

I've got 2 kids. One will be on campus in Tuscaloosa in 3 years. I can assure you that one of mine would never think of doing this.

I would hope the University of Alabama would want to send the right message to ALL students, whether an athlete or not, that this won't be tolerated.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

This is a link to the police report. They kid was beaten unconscious. Pettway and William beat him. Read the last page and the last paragraph of the police report. These are the facts as the police reported them. My question is why did they do this were they drunk or high?

No matter how you parse the words these two players beat him unconscious, what if this were your son or my daughter? Would you not be calling the president and CNS to have them removed from the campus? Do you give them a 2nd chance to do it again? If so why?

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/assets/pdf/TL26600212.PDF
If that were the case, then their best chance for survival would have been the cops catching them first.
I would like to think I'm above something like that; that I would let justice run its course. But I have seen the way justice sometimes doesn't "work", and I don't think I would have taken that chance.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Blah, blah, blah...............these 4 destitute "student athletes" are so poor, that one of them has a car, was involved in an altercation over not paying for gas, the day before. And supposedly had a gun in the trunk. (Or something to that effect.)

So, free tuition, and room and board aren't enough? More than enough. The more free stuff you give them, punks like this will just want more. And stop at nothing to get it.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

....No matter how you parse the words these two players beat him unconscious, what if this were your son or my daughter? Would you not be calling the president and CNS to have them removed from the campus? Do you give them a 2nd chance to do it again? If so why?http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/assets/pdf/TL26600212.PDF
This.

Coming out now from the likes of Chase Goodbread and Andrew Gribble:

All four arrested Alabama football players have been indefinitely suspended, per a statement from Nick Saban.
Saban statement "“The young men charged are indefinitely suspended as we continue to gather information and talk to the appropriate people."
This behavior is unacceptable for any student-athlete at the University of Alabama.
"The University and football program have strict guidelines regarding issues of this magnitude."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.