2014 Biggest Recruiting Needs

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
Our roster is as stacked as any program in recent memory. So, I'm sure we'll sign a bunch of players across the board. I think we'll have more seniors this year and the usual early entrants to the NFL, so I think we'll sign 25 again.

In the 2013 class, it looks like we missed down the stretch on a pure OT and safety, so I expect that will be a position we'll target. Also, we have missed on elite OT's since Fluker and Kouandjio. So, I think elite OT's will be a high priority and the OL in general. I also think we will look for a few more lock down corners (Humphrey as one). What do you think the breakdown will look like and what will be our highest priority?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
QB -1
RB - 2
TE - 2
WR - 2
OG - 3
OT - 3

DT - 1
DE - 2
OLB - 2
MLB -2
CB -3
S -2

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Our roster is as stacked as any program in recent memory. So, I'm sure we'll sign a bunch of players across the board. I think we'll have more seniors this year and the usual early entrants to the NFL, so I think we'll sign 25 again.

In the 2013 class, it looks like we missed down the stretch on a pure OT and safety, so I expect that will be a position we'll target. Also, we have missed on elite OT's since Fluker and Kouandjio. So, I think elite OT's will be a high priority and the OL in general. I also think we will look for a few more lock down corners (Humphrey as one). What do you think the breakdown will look like and what will be our highest priority?

QB -1
RB - 2
TE - 2
WR - 2
OG - 3
OT - 3

DT - 1
DE - 2
OLB - 2
MLB -2
CB -3
S -2

I dunno if we will take 6 offensive linemen, as much as I think it is a need (I would like to take that many). I could see 4, and that just depends on how they grade out in CNS evaluations. I think we take 3 RB's, as we already have Bo, and we are after Racean Thomas and Leonard Fournette hard. I think we'll take more defensive lineman, as it will always be a need with the scheme we run. We rotate more than any other team in the country. Also, our secondary class should be large (as stated). It's still a bit early to tell. I think we'll have a better idea after Spring practice. At my count, and I am making presumptions obviously (which I will do for sake of this), we have 15 scholarship Seniors this year. Add in 3-5 early entrants and the normal attrition (medical/transfers/etc...), and I could see how we take a full class....though I wouldn't find taking a small class predicated at filling our biggest needs. Numbers get harder and harder every year, and at some point you have to balance things out I would assume....

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
O-line (specifically OT) is top priority IMO. TE and DB are next. We'll always want depth at every position, but those 3 areas are where I see us taking more than a "normal" class. I see only one or two runnings backs (and I doubt Bo is considered a RB when all is said and done). Racean is probably ours and that may be it.

wileybb22

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2009
mobile al
Left tackles are hard to find. Get them when you can. Same with shutdown corners.
No doubt we will have a need for pure left tackles. Looking at the top listed in the recruiting sites the best are spread out across the country again.

Hard to believe we would pull in more than 2 backs with the guys coming in with this class.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
CB and OT are fairly critical, then safety, WR and DL. We lose a lot of receivers over the next 2 years.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Long way until we can really get a sufficient view of what the 2014 roster may look like, but at this early juncture I would expect the emphasis to be on OT, DB (particularly CB), and DL.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I think with Perry and potentially HaHa leaving Safety will be a priority as well as DL and OL.
Barring a major breakout year, I don't think we have to worry too much about Clinton-Dix leaving early. Besides, safety isn't exactly one of the major money positions in the NFL. It's not crazy to be the top safety prospect in the Draft and still not end up in the first round.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think with Perry and potentially HaHa leaving Safety will be a priority as well as DL and OL.
Safeties eligible to leave after the 2013 season:

Jarrick Williams - Senior (most likely a RS Jr because of the possible RS to his injury this year)
Nick Perry - Senior
Haha - Junior
Vinnie - Junior

You're correct. Bama is going to need to get a few Safeties in 2014.

Disclaimer: Not saying either Haha or Vinnie go pro. Just saying they are eligible to go.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Barring a major breakout year, I don't think we have to worry too much about Clinton-Dix leaving early. Besides, safety isn't exactly one of the major money positions in the NFL. It's not crazy to be the top safety prospect in the Draft and still not end up in the first round.
Barron being an exception, I take it?

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
I wouldn't bet on more than one safety going in the entire first round. Don't think Vinnie or Haha will go early. But it'd be nice to pick up another safety next year.

I think TE is an overrated position in the college level. Not really going to follow TE recruiting, personally.

I'd like to see some CBs and some big, athletic linemen.

ems655

3rd Team
Jan 30, 2007
Chapel Hill, TN
There were some key block this year by TE's so you may rethink how overrated that position is........how many game winning TD's did micheal Williams have? I am amazed by your statement.

I wouldn't bet on more than one safety going in the entire first round. Don't think Vinnie or Haha will go early. But it'd be nice to pick up another safety next year.

I think TE is an overrated position in the college level. Not really going to follow TE recruiting, personally.

I'd like to see some CBs and some big, athletic linemen.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
There were some key block this year by TE's so you may rethink how overrated that position is........how many game winning TD's did micheal Williams have? I am amazed by your statement.
yeah, I don't get our fan base sometimes. A good TE is key to our offense to run block and off the PA. We need ppl behind vogler.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.