Link: New Federal Mandate will ultimately impact college sports and thus college football.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20130212/NEWS/130219961?tc=cr

"With a new decree last month from the US Department of Education declaring the opportunity to participate in athletics is a right for disabled athletes, and mandating that schools who receive federal money provide athletic opportunities for disabled athletes, the UA program is a model for others to emulate."

I expect that the above federal mandate will ultimately be the next financial responsibility for athletic departments of colleges and universities. I am hopeful it will be applied with more common sense than the Title IX mandates. The University currently has a tremendous program for disabled basketball. We have recruits from all over the country and Canada. The women have won a couple of National Championships and are great student athletes. I would support the growth of all disabled athletics at the University but I cannot help but worry how future federal mandates will impact athletic departments who are already losing money. Title IX federal mandates didn't take into consideration the fact athletic budgets are built around successful individual sports such as college football. It is ridiculous to restrict the growth of the college football cash cow to redistribute funds to mandated programs who are supported only by college football. The federal courts need to quit trying to mandate how the athletic departments split the pie and step back and let them create more pie for all. Successful college football programs have the ability to do that.

Mods: I meant to post this on the FootBall Boards. Could you move it for me. Thanks.

Last edited:

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
The long and the short of it is this - if you (not you, Capstone46, in general) were handicapped or your child were handicapped, you would support this change. Title XI has not caused all of the doom and gloom that many said it would over 25 years ago.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
As I stated in my original post, I would support the growth of athletics for disabled student athletes. I have no disabled athletes in my family. We have some who received full rides on athletic scholarhips, but that is not the issue. The issue is how the federal mandates are applied. Their good intentions have not always been beneficial. I have promised myself I wouldn't engage in further Title IX issues as to how they have impacted college football. What I object to is the way most federal mandates take from those who have the ability and give to those who have the need. That policy has failed throughout the history of the world and will surely fail college athletics.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm not sure how to discuss this without it being political.

Let me just say two things.

A: The whole if you were disabled thing is hogwash. If I was disabled I'd want special accommodations? Would I really? I understand things like wheelchair access, but we're talking about much broader potential implications, as in changing the rules or ignoring them to allow someone incapable of competing, to compete. That's kind of like saying a blind person should be allowed to drive.

B: We have had this debate before, but it's also a bit like saying stupid people should be allowed into college. Sadly, that has happened, as in claiming a learning disability, so even if you are at an elementary school level, we pretend you're learning in college.

This is simple, not everyone is good at everything. A disability of any sort should not automatically exclude you from an activity, however if you are unable to perform said activity? Yeah, that's the whole disabled part coming into play. We live in a world in which one of our greatest minds is almost completely disabled. It just means you need to seek out something that caters to your abilities.

Here's the rub. I'm not an D1 level athlete. I never was. Is being a bit short a disability? Is being not all that gifted a disability? I have no more right to demand participation in D1 athletics than a disabled person should have.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
New Federal Mandate will ultimately impact college sports and thus college foot

My main thought is why should a disabled person be given preference over someone who is simply not that good at sports.
Bingo! My mind doesn't tell my feet quickly enough to move and it doesn't coordinate with my hands very well. Can I claim a disability to play basketball?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: New Federal Mandate will ultimately impact college sports and thus college foot

It goes back to what we've discussed a million times on the NSB. This concept of "fair" that our society tries to inject into every little aspect of our lives.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.