Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

No more FCS opponents for Big Ten

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...dule-fcs-teams
    ""The nonconference schedule in our league is ridiculous," Alvarez said on WIBA-AM in Madison, Wis."

I'm not sure if this really means anything. Ohio State didn't play any FCS schools, but they only played one from a BCS conference (3-9 California), and the combined records were 20-30, which was greatly improved by the 10-4 C-USA opponent UCF, which couldn't even beat Missouri. A cupcake is a cupcake, personally I don't think it makes much difference if you're playing Miami of Ohio, or Youngstown State. But, we know the Big Ten has a good propaganda department so I'll assume they are going to be claiming they play a more difficult schedule now (by the way, Ohio St. had a strength of schedule ranking of 60).
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Re: No more FCS opponents for Big Ten

they are just tired of losing to them. Minnesota loses all the time. Iowa loses to Northern Iowa a lot. lets not forget Appy State vs. Meeeshigun. Indiana loses to them Illinois loses to them.
    There are two rules in life:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just a PR move. They'll play Akron instead. It's the same difference, except their good teams will only win by 4 TDs rather than 6. We play some cupcakes but also schedule 1 decent OOC opponent each year.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Iowa is 15-1 All Time against Northern Iowa.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

I also think they are positioning themselves for the 2014 playoff model, and I think the SEC schools need to follow suit. I think the competition *you* play is going to be a major area of focus in this playoff model. I'm not saying we need to schedule the upper echelon of BCS conferences for our OOC games. But I think we need to get away from the Georgia State's of the world.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I also think they are positioning themselves for the 2014 playoff model, and I think the SEC schools need to follow suit. I think the competition *you* play is going to be a major area of focus in this playoff model. I'm not saying we need to schedule the upper echelon of BCS conferences for our OOC games. But I think we need to get away from the Georgia State's of the world.
    What I think this really means is that the committee will make up their own strength of schedule formula. They said they will consider it, but despite many formulas to choose from, they haven't indicated they'll use any existing ones. So, basically their formula can be as simple as number of FBS teams played, or some silly stupid crap. I would agree that the Big Ten is positioning themselves, but either they are trying to game the system, or they are just trying to gain the ground they have lost on other conferences, because their SoS has been pretty low.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    What I think this really means is that the committee will make up their own strength of schedule formula. They said they will consider it, but despite many formulas to choose from, they haven't indicated they'll use any existing ones. So, basically their formula can be as simple as number of FBS teams played, or some silly stupid crap. I would agree that the Big Ten is positioning themselves, but either they are trying to game the system, or they are just trying to gain the ground they have lost on other conferences, because their SoS has been pretty low.
    However the committee ultimately decides to go with the SOS element is up in the air. But with the Big Ten strengthening their schedule can only put them in a position to help them. The only caveat is they have to win those games.

If the rest of the BCS conferences do this it will more than likely start a chain reaction of what we discussed here months ago. The beginning of the end of a lot of football programs who depend heavily on these games with the "big boys".
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; February 13th, 2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Addition
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The SEC will follow suit. However, there's a problem with this idea because there are plenty of FBS teams that should be FCS teams. If the committee wants to use this as a SOS measurement, the teams eligible for the playoff should only play each other for OOC. That will happen, though, because the FBS teams that shouldn't be eligible are eligible.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

I hate it when Bama plays FCS teams.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Only bad thing is this will hurt some of the smaller schools who depend on those big games for their entire budget.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    Iowa is 15-1 All Time against Northern Iowa.
    That's a lot.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    The SEC will follow suit. However, there's a problem with this idea because there are plenty of FBS teams that should be FCS teams. If the committee wants to use this as a SOS measurement, the teams eligible for the playoff should only play each other for OOC. That will happen, though, because the FBS teams that shouldn't be eligible are eligible.
    Not only that but there will be 4 newbies next year.

Georgia State
    North Carolina-Charlotte (who hasn’t even fielded a team yet)
    Old Dominion
    And I believe there was another one that I am forgetting and I am too lazy to look it up.

And as far as Iowa is concerned so what? The rest of my points were still valid and wasn’t Northern Iowa’s one win over Iowa recently?
    There are two rules in life:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

BamaNation All-American Bama-94-00's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ThumbsUp Re: No more FCS opponents for Big Ten

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical View Post
    Only bad thing is this will hurt some of the smaller schools who depend on those big games for their entire budget.
    Yes! They may have a harder time filling out their schedule without traveling further.
    RTR!