Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: No more FCS opponents for Big Ten

Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    I hate it when Bama plays FCS teams.
    Yah, I wish we'd follow suit.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    The SEC will follow suit. However, there's a problem with this idea because there are plenty of FBS teams that should be FCS teams. If the committee wants to use this as a SOS measurement, the teams eligible for the playoff should only play each other for OOC. That will happen, though, because the FBS teams that shouldn't be eligible are eligible.
    I think I have to drive home the point that the Big 10 has a low SoS. They are the ones that are behind, even without playing FCS programs they would be behind. So, I don't really like the idea that the SEC has to try to keep up with someone they are ahead of. It seems to me more like the goal is to slow the SEC down. Take away home games, make their schedule even more bruising, etc...

Let's look at the SoS of the top teams in each conference, and the FCS teams they played:
    Alabama 19 (Western Carolina)
    Texas A&M 6 (South Carolina St.)
    Georgia 27 (Georgia Southern)
    Florida 4 (Jacksonville St.)
    LSU 15 (Townson)

Ohio State 60 (None)
    Michigan 24 (None)
    Northwestern 50 (None)
    Nebraska 20 (Idaho St.)
    Wisconsin 30 (Northern Iowa)

So, what does this tell us? The two weakest schedules involved no FCS teams, and the two toughest involved FCS teams. The fact is that even if you remove all FCS programs from the Big Ten schedules, they are still playing a much weaker schedule. Either this is propaganda, built on a false notion that FCS programs=weak schedule, and an attempt by the Big Ten to mislead people, or perhaps just a genuine attempt to close some of the considerable gap.

The point about a lot of teams being in the FBS that shouldn't is very relevant here. We see a lot of those teams peppered on all schedules. There's really not much difference between one of those and an FCS team, it's just a bit easier to bring in the FCS team, than to fight over the FBS teams for the road game (FBS teams have to play a certain number of home games). The SEC shouldn't do anything in response to this, save perhaps point out the numbers which are telling.

I am thinking about writing something about the impact of playing a tougher schedule, and I do not at all like the notion that the already brutal SEC should alter their schedule at all. It's already the toughest in all of the FBS, the other conferences need to change, the SEC does not. If there are any attempts to tell us that the SEC doesn't play a tough enough schedule, those are flat out lies.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I was at a game a couple of years ago when a terrible N Texas team routed Indiana. That doesn't help SoS, either.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation All-American Bama-94-00's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Yah, I wish we'd follow suit.
    I wouldn't mind that, but no big deal to me. Switching from a FCS team to a mediocre FBS team will not make a noticeable difference to our SoS. The bottom SEC teams should switch FCS games for FBS games to help with bowl eligibility though.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I think I have to drive home the point that the Big 10 has a low SoS. They are the ones that are behind, even without playing FCS programs they would be behind. So, I don't really like the idea that the SEC has to try to keep up with someone they are ahead of. It seems to me more like the goal is to slow the SEC down. Take away home games, make their schedule even more bruising, etc...

Let's look at the SoS of the top teams in each conference, and the FCS teams they played:
    Alabama 19 (Western Carolina)
    Texas A&M 6 (South Carolina St.)
    Georgia 27 (Georgia Southern)
    Florida 4 (Jacksonville St.)
    LSU 15 (Townson)

Ohio State 60 (None)
    Michigan 24 (None)
    Northwestern 50 (None)
    Nebraska 20 (Idaho St.)
    Wisconsin 30 (Northern Iowa)

So, what does this tell us? The two weakest schedules involved no FCS teams, and the two toughest involved FCS teams. The fact is that even if you remove all FCS programs from the Big Ten schedules, they are still playing a much weaker schedule. Either this is propaganda, built on a false notion that FCS programs=weak schedule, and an attempt by the Big Ten to mislead people, or perhaps just a genuine attempt to close some of the considerable gap.

The point about a lot of teams being in the FBS that shouldn't is very relevant here. We see a lot of those teams peppered on all schedules. There's really not much difference between one of those and an FCS team, it's just a bit easier to bring in the FCS team, than to fight over the FBS teams for the road game (FBS teams have to play a certain number of home games). The SEC shouldn't do anything in response to this, save perhaps point out the numbers which are telling.

I am thinking about writing something about the impact of playing a tougher schedule, and I do not at all like the notion that the already brutal SEC should alter their schedule at all. It's already the toughest in all of the FBS, the other conferences need to change, the SEC does not. If there are any attempts to tell us that the SEC doesn't play a tough enough schedule, those are flat out lies.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying the SEC will follow suit. It's not about SoS, either. This is all about perception.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying the SEC will follow suit. It's not about SoS, either. This is all about perception.
    Bingo.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-American Bama-94-00's Avatar

Yep..

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Agreed

The SEC got suckered into the whole four year scholarship thing, as well as the signing limit thing (and ironically are the only conference in the FBS with a limit of 25 per year, how's that for getting swindled?).

The Big 10 did this for the sake of perception, and the SEC is likely to do it because they care about perception. I just hate to see the SEC falling for these tactics. They can only be made a suckered so many times before it erodes what they have, which is the point I suppose.

I just want to see the SEC act in their own interests, not because they're losing a PR war.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar

This has the potential to affect revenue if some of these teams insist on home and home

BamaNation Third Team knowledge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Agreed

The SEC got suckered into the whole four year scholarship thing, as well as the signing limit thing (and ironically are the only conference in the FBS with a limit of 25 per year, how's that for getting swindled?).

The Big 10 did this for the sake of perception, and the SEC is likely to do it because they care about perception. I just hate to see the SEC falling for these tactics. They can only be made a suckered so many times before it erodes what they have, which is the point I suppose.

I just want to see the SEC act in their own interests, not because they're losing a PR war.
    I believe that this is correct. To me, the whole thing is idiotic when it is brought up by fans of other conferences, because nothing of any substance changes on any of these issues. The "four year scholarship" is the same thing as the renewable one-year deal. If you don't go to class, don't do your part at practice and games, or don't stay out of trouble, you will lose the "four-year" deal the same way that the one-year deal would not be renewed. Not scheduling FCS schools is equally meaningless. There are plenty of FBS schools that are just as bad or worse, and who will do very nicely for the actual purpose: a glorified bye-week/scrimmage preceding a tough conference opponent. It is a matter of semantics and perception only.

BamaNation First Team Highway59's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Just the big ten making noise. As long as your whole non conference schedule isn't loaded up with smaller schools, looks to me that it is win win for both home team and supposed cupcake school that is visiting. A chance to play backups early and recover some from, in our case, a brutal conference schedule. Then the visitors collect huge check that keeps their program afloat. Also it gives opportunity for visitors to break out the camera's, snap a few pictures in a place like Bryant Denny to show the family years down the road. You say, well how good can the experience really be for these kids knowing that they are gonna get their teeth kicked in? Well aubum still shows up knowing what is gonna happen.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

as far as FBS schools that donít belong, look no further that New Mexico State and Idaho. When the WAC was getting picked apart and other conferences were grabbing up WAC teams, these two were left out. How bad is your program when even the sun belt doesnít want you?
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'll try to look at it from every perspective:

For the fans, these games are the worst especially season ticket holders. Tide Pride members give a great deal to get tickets to every home game and it is unfortunate they don't get much value out of these games. Understand, I'm not talking scalping value but simple fan value.

For the team and coaches, these games are seen as fair valuable. They can prepare the depth for next season and get the starters some rest. Also, the staff can spend much of the prep on future opponents.

For the athletic department, they get some schedule flexibility. It's often easier to find a willing FCS opponent than even a mid major FBS team. The AD can use the FCS game to add an extra home game for revenue.