Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Re: No more FCS opponents for Big Ten

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot30 View Post
    If that happens, get ready for more dominos to fall. The SEC will try to go to 18 teams, and the ACC will go the way of the WAC.
    Yes. The whole expansion thing is far from over. It may never be.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Originally Posted by ALA2262
    Iowa is 15-1 All Time against Northern Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    That's a lot.

LOL! Yeah, one is one too many and is a lot.

Edit: Perhaps not. I see now that the one loss was in 1898 when Iowa was also non-1A
    Last edited by ALA2262; February 14th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.

I can't believe Michigan's SOS is only 24 when they played an undefeated team and two with only one loss.

Playing crappy MAC teams is no different then playing FCS teams.

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Not only that but there will be 4 newbies next year.

Georgia State
    North Carolina-Charlotte (who hasn’t even fielded a team yet)
    Old Dominion
    And I believe there was another one that I am forgetting and I am too lazy to look it up.

And as far as Iowa is concerned so what? The rest of my points were still valid and wasn’t Northern Iowa’s one win over Iowa recently?
    Yeah, 1898.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data...hp?teamid=2319

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    The Hawkeyes have escaped narrowly recently and lost to Central Michigan last year.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar

So we replace the scheduled FCS team with a Big 10 opponent and problem solved. We get a guaranteed win, rest the starters and satisfy the fussy.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JPT4Bama View Post
    So we replace the scheduled FCS team with a Big 10 opponent and problem solved. We get a guaranteed win, rest the starters and satisfy the fussy.
    LOL. But true too!
    An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. John Buchan

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I get the play no FCS team, I really do, but what about the FCS schools? Has anyone asked them?

It not just about money but these games may be the Only time their families/friends get to see them play on tv.

If you can no longer play them then FCS should go to Thursday games, their is a market for that. HS on Friday & Bama on Saturday.

Another reason I hesitate, I'm not good with going along with Anything the Big 10 is offering, there is a gotcha somewhere.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot30 View Post
    And it's usually much cheaper. My bet is that this will drive up the money paid out for guarantee games. I think I read that 'Bama paid FAU a cool million last year. In 2009, Bama paid Ga. State $400,000 when they were FCS, but next year will pay them $700,000. The low-tier FBS schools will be able to ask more for guarantee games and/or leverage a home game. Who wants to go back to Lafayette, LA for a road game as Bama did in '90?
    Coach Bryant agreed to send the team to Lafayette to play the Cajuns because he wanted to help the program similarly the way he helpedUSM in Hattiesburg...it was designed to help recruiting in LSUs back yard...

There are tons of Bama fans in Cajun Country because of that trip.....the local radio station picked up the Bama Broadcast for years.....and Bama coming to Cajun Field was a huge event.

He was trying to prop up a program......what other college ADs at that time would have scheduled that?

It's a different world now.....all games are on TV....back then you had to be creative. Having Bama on the local radio station, in place of LSU mind you, was huge
    Last edited by CajunCrimson; February 14th, 2013 at 06:29 AM.
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    i think i may be confusing them with iowa state.
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Coach Bryant agreed to send the team to Lafayette to play the Cajuns because he wanted to help the program similarly the way he helpedUSM in Hattiesburg...it was designed to help recruiting in LSUs back yard...

There are tons of Bama fans in Cajun Country because of that trip.....the local radio station picked up the Bama Broadcast for years.....and Bama coming to Cajun Field was a huge event.

He was trying to prop up a program......what other college ADs at that time would have scheduled that?

It's a different world now.....all games are on TV....back then you had to be creative. Having Bama on the local radio station, in place of LSU mind you, was huge
    Thank you for that information. I didn't know that about the series. I'd always thought that the series was scheduled by Perkins. Didn't mean to disparage ULL or Lafayette. It was just the only example of Bama going to play a road game at a school not in the traditional, big 5 conferences.
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    I get the play no FCS team, I really do, but what about the FCS schools? Has anyone asked them?

It not just about money but these games may be the Only time their families/friends get to see them play on tv.

If you can no longer play them then FCS should go to Thursday games, their is a market for that. HS on Friday & Bama on Saturday.

Another reason I hesitate, I'm not good with going along with Anything the Big 10 is offering, there is a gotcha somewhere.
    Oh, but it is all about the money and the 1AA schools have to be very concerned with this turn of events. The 12th game was added to the 1A schedule in order to give the 1AA schools a big payday. The rule restricting 1A schools from playing 1AA schools more than once every four years was eliminated on the EXACT same day the 12th game was added. Didn't take long to figure out what that was all about.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    i think i may be confusing them with iowa state.
    I think you're conflating their first two games of 2012. They scraped by Northern ILLINOIS, 18-17, then lost to Iowa State.

Honest mistake
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart