Link: No more FCS opponents for Big Ten

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Originally Posted by ALA2262

Iowa is 15-1 All Time against Northern Iowa.

That's a lot.

LOL! Yeah, one is one too many and is a lot.

Edit: Perhaps not. I see now that the one loss was in 1898 when Iowa was also non-1A

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I can't believe Michigan's SOS is only 24 when they played an undefeated team and two with only one loss.

Playing crappy MAC teams is no different then playing FCS teams.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Not only that but there will be 4 newbies next year.

Georgia State
North Carolina-Charlotte (who hasn’t even fielded a team yet)
Old Dominion
And I believe there was another one that I am forgetting and I am too lazy to look it up.

And as far as Iowa is concerned so what? The rest of my points were still valid and wasn’t Northern Iowa’s one win over Iowa recently?
Yeah, 1898.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/bigten/iowa/opponents_records.php?teamid=2319

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
So we replace the scheduled FCS team with a Big 10 opponent and problem solved. We get a guaranteed win, rest the starters and satisfy the fussy. :BigA:

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I get the play no FCS team, I really do, but what about the FCS schools? Has anyone asked them?

It not just about money but these games may be the Only time their families/friends get to see them play on tv.

If you can no longer play them then FCS should go to Thursday games, their is a market for that. HS on Friday & Bama on Saturday.

Another reason I hesitate, I'm not good with going along with Anything the Big 10 is offering, there is a gotcha somewhere.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
And it's usually much cheaper. My bet is that this will drive up the money paid out for guarantee games. I think I read that 'Bama paid FAU a cool million last year. In 2009, Bama paid Ga. State $400,000 when they were FCS, but next year will pay them $700,000. The low-tier FBS schools will be able to ask more for guarantee games and/or leverage a home game. Who wants to go back to Lafayette, LA for a road game as Bama did in '90?
Coach Bryant agreed to send the team to Lafayette to play the Cajuns because he wanted to help the program similarly the way he helpedUSM in Hattiesburg...it was designed to help recruiting in LSUs back yard...

There are tons of Bama fans in Cajun Country because of that trip.....the local radio station picked up the Bama Broadcast for years.....and Bama coming to Cajun Field was a huge event.

He was trying to prop up a program......what other college ADs at that time would have scheduled that?

It's a different world now.....all games are on TV....back then you had to be creative. Having Bama on the local radio station, in place of LSU mind you, was huge

Last edited:

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Coach Bryant agreed to send the team to Lafayette to play the Cajuns because he wanted to help the program similarly the way he helpedUSM in Hattiesburg...it was designed to help recruiting in LSUs back yard...

There are tons of Bama fans in Cajun Country because of that trip.....the local radio station picked up the Bama Broadcast for years.....and Bama coming to Cajun Field was a huge event.

He was trying to prop up a program......what other college ADs at that time would have scheduled that?

It's a different world now.....all games are on TV....back then you had to be creative. Having Bama on the local radio station, in place of LSU mind you, was huge
Thank you for that information. I didn't know that about the series. I'd always thought that the series was scheduled by Perkins. Didn't mean to disparage ULL or Lafayette. It was just the only example of Bama going to play a road game at a school not in the traditional, big 5 conferences.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I get the play no FCS team, I really do, but what about the FCS schools? Has anyone asked them?

It not just about money but these games may be the Only time their families/friends get to see them play on tv.

If you can no longer play them then FCS should go to Thursday games, their is a market for that. HS on Friday & Bama on Saturday.

Another reason I hesitate, I'm not good with going along with Anything the Big 10 is offering, there is a gotcha somewhere.
Oh, but it is all about the money and the 1AA schools have to be very concerned with this turn of events. The 12th game was added to the 1A schedule in order to give the 1AA schools a big payday. The rule restricting 1A schools from playing 1AA schools more than once every four years was eliminated on the EXACT same day the 12th game was added. Didn't take long to figure out what that was all about.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think you're conflating their first two games of 2012. They scraped by Northern ILLINOIS, 18-17, then lost to Iowa State.

Honest mistake
Northern Iowa darn near beat them in 2009. Iowa won, 17-16, after blocking 2 field goals at the end of the game. Northern Iowa had driven into field goal range, and Iowa blocked the field goal but it landed behind the line of scrimmage and Northern Iowa recovered with one second left. They attempted a second field goal and Iowa blocked it as well.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Northern Iowa darn near beat them in 2009. Iowa won, 17-16, after blocking 2 field goals at the end of the game. Northern Iowa had driven into field goal range, and Iowa blocked the field goal but it landed behind the line of scrimmage and Northern Iowa recovered with one second left. They attempted a second field goal and Iowa blocked it as well.
Yeah I remember that, too. I thought he was right & N Iowa had won recently. Shoulda won is more accurate.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.