Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

opportunity for young players.

The old saying, one man's loss is another man's gain. Tired of rehashing the explainable so lets talk about opportunity.

I think this weeks events opens the door for two redshirt defensive ends Dalvin Tomlinson and Korren Kirven as well as the three freshman A'Shawn Robinson, Dee Liner, and Darius Paige come this fall. Has anyone heard about the progress of Tomlinson and Kirven??
    BS 1989

2. Advertisement

Re: opportunity for young players.

Tomlinson has had very good reviews.

Truthfully, all the guys lost are young. Hayes was very good on ST and Pettway was a good pass rusher, but none of the 4 were projected to be a starter. Pettway was probably looking at the most PT, but it would've been more situational.

isnt kirven a linebacker?

Liner will prob see the most PT imo along with Tomlinson
    Alabama Crimson Tide

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Tomlinson sounds like a good one. High motor, smart player.

Kirven is a DE. Pretty big guy if I recall correctly.

I think this presents an even greater opportunity for Allen, especially as a pass rusher.
    ---------------------------------------

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Robert Frost

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jps1983 View Post
    Tomlinson has had very good reviews.

Truthfully, all the guys lost are young. Hayes was very good on ST and Pettway was a good pass rusher, but none of the 4 were projected to be a starter. Pettway was probably looking at the most PT, but it would've been more situational.
    Hayes best play on special teams was putting the final nail in our coffin against a&m. He finished the season with like 18 tackles I wouldn't call that great. To me a mistake like he made would have you in the doghouse.

The only real opportunity I see opening like the op suggests is de. All the other positions have entrenched starters except perhaps hb.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Not sure if Allen is going to Defensive End or Jack. He's listed at 260 now which is the top end of our Jacks historically. So they may cut him this summer and play jack or stack him and move to defensive end. Either way with Hays being a jack and Pettway being a defensive end or Jack I think it puts Allen closer to the field.
    BS 1989

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

He's too good of a pass rusher to ask him to take on the 4/5-tech DE role in our defense. They'll probably not try to beef him up much but simply ensure he's got "100%" good weight.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1224 View Post
    Hayes best play on special teams was putting the final nail in our coffin against a&m. He finished the season with like 18 tackles I wouldn't call that great. To me a mistake like he made would have you in the doghouse.

The only real opportunity I see opening like the op suggests is de. All the other positions have entrenched starters except perhaps hb.
    If we're just talking about offense and defense, I agree. But snaps on ST are very meaningful and Hayes was a regular/solid contributor there, so his spot is up for grabs and I think that is where an incoming guy can get on the field quicker than as a situational pass rusher like Pettway was. Tomlinson got good reviews and Fanning hopefully progresses this spring because he's got a lot of upside.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by jps1983 View Post
    If we're just talking about offense and defense, I agree. But snaps on ST are very meaningful and Hayes was a regular/solid contributor there, so his spot is up for grabs and I think that is where an incoming guy can get on the field quicker than as a situational pass rusher like Pettway was. Tomlinson got good reviews and Fanning hopefully progresses this spring because he's got a lot of upside.
    I was just comparing that to what Vinnie and Depriest did the year before which was substantially better. Landon Collins made several more key plays. The only play I really remember Hayes making was jumping offsides.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I mentioned Allen due to his pass rushing abilities. Without Pettway, who seemed to specialize in that, I can see JA on the field with a sort of "go get the QB" role.

I'm excited about that kid. For his size he is exceptionally quick and agile.
    Last edited by Nolan; February 14th, 2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Eye Kant spel

Robert Frost

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Hayes had value on ST and I'm not downgrading that - but - we are at the point with our depth and recruiting that there will be several guys ready to step in and do just as well if not better.

Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Nolcbear View Post
    Hayes had value on ST and I'm not downgrading that - but - we are at the point with our depth and recruiting that there will be several guys ready to step in and do just as well if not better.
    I think it will hurt some. Unless someone grows up really fast, we just don't have a Pettway replacement. Hayes was in for substantial PT, although he had threatened to quit over the lack of it and tweeted about it. Calloway could be missed, but, if Fowler comes back strong, he won't be. EW is the mystery, a five star guy who just wasn't progressing. It's hard not to think that his personal problems weren't part of it, given what we've now seen...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I think it will hurt some. Unless someone grows up really fast, we just don't have a Pettway replacement. Hayes was in for substantial PT, although he had threatened to quit over the lack of it and tweeted about it. Calloway could be missed, but, if Fowler comes back strong, he won't be. EW is the mystery, a five star guy who just wasn't progressing. It's hard not to think that his personal problems weren't part of it, given what we've now seen...
    I didn't realize Hayes was upset about lack of PT (I don't really do twitter). He was a regular on ST as a true freshmen. That's pretty darn good with our roster. Collins didn't seem to have an issue with it and he was a 5* stud out of high school.